My first serious road bike in 17 years is on layaway... woot woot!!!

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I went to Performance in Gaithersburg, MD today and could not pass up this deal! I had been shopping around sort of half heartedly up until today, but in 45 days or so this will be all mine.Retail on this (last year) was $2300, but I got it for less than half of that amount... I am VERY excited!
groupwave2.gif

Along with this I got some Forte CR150ti pedals.

Here are the specs off of the Fuji site:

FRAMESET: Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum w/PowerDiamond down tube, Integrated head tube, carbon seat stays, aluminum chain stays, replaceable derailleur hanger

FORK: FC-440 Fuji Carbon Monocoque, integrated 1 1/8" carbon steerer, 420g

DRIVETRAIN: FSA Team Issue Carbon MegaExo crankset w/Integrated spindle, 7075 CNC 39/53T, Shimano Dura Ace, STI shifter/brake, 20-Speed Flight Deck compatible

WHEELSET: Mavic Aksium Race, 700c clincher

FEATURES: FSA Carbon ProErgo Road, 31.8mm w/Anatomical drops carbon re-enforced alloy, FSA OS-190LX 3-D Al forged , FSA carbon-wrapped seatpost, Selle San Marco Ponza Racing saddle

COLOR: White World Champion Stripes replica

WEIGHT: 19.3 lbs / 8.77 kg

rouLTD_4.jpg

Nice looking bike. Enjoy it scott, but don't forget to take the S6 out once in a while.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "GET A CAR!"

I'll try to refrain from downshifting on my motorcycle as I drive past you!

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "GET A CAR!"

I'll try to refrain from downshifting on my motorcycle as I drive past you!

Yer on the other side of the country! Impossible! :p

That's a very nice looking bike!

However, I have to admit that I don't entirely understand the mentality of someone buying a very expensive bike when a much cheaper one suffices, and for 90% of us would suffice. I take this back if it turns out you're doing any kind of serious bike racing or whatever.

However, I have to admit that I don't entirely understand the mentality of someone buying a very expensive bike when a much cheaper one suffices, and for 90% of us would suffice. I take this back if it turns out you're doing any kind of serious bike racing or whatever.

Oh the irony...

Oh the irony...

I know, on a car forum where people worship Ferrari, Corvettes and Morgans (or is that last one just me?) asking why pick an expensive vehicle when a cheap one suffices is full of irony - in this case, unintentional.

Given the choice I'd pick a Ferrari over a Hyundai, naturally...

I would be interested to know the difference (in plain english) between this nice-looking bike and a bog standard bike, though.

You know I love you teeb, but how can you say something like that? We all do the exact same thing with autos... an M3 is much more than most people would ever need, let alone the Veyrons and Koeniggseggsz and Caparos we chat about on FG.

...I have to admit that I don't entirely understand the mentality of someone buying a very expensive bike when a much cheaper one suffices, and for 90% of us would suffice. I take this back if it turns out you're doing any kind of serious bike racing or whatever.

You know I love you teeb, but how can you say something like that? We all do the exact same thing with autos... an M3 is much more than most people would ever need, let alone the Veyrons and Koeniggseggsz and Caparos we chat about on FG.

I know, I know. And I'm digging myself a massive hole here that I'm not easily escaping from.

Let me make a poor attempt at explaining myself : I'm a car person. I drool over cars, I read car news sites every day. If I see an exotic pass me in the street I consider the day to be a good one.
I'm not a bicycle person. I use them to get around, yes, and I appreciate them (especially as it's much faster than walking), but I don't understand spending $1150 on one myself. I'm sure bike nuts would consider that a bargain for this bike. And I would like to know why this one's rated so highly - as far as I can gather, it's because it's light and has racing pedigree.
I'm not a coffee connoisseur. I saw a hot drinks maker for ?700 today. I balked at this - I don't see what's wrong with my 'teabag plus hot water from a kettle' method. I'm sure hot drinks people would happily pay that.

^ I see what you mean, and I feel the same way. I'd never buy a $3,000 bicycle personally even though I'd spend all my money on an exotic car if I could afford it. What I meant is that the principles are the same for premium bikes and cars, not that I subscribe to it in the case of bikes.

$3000?!

Good Galloping Christ, that's as much as I paid for my motorcycle!

BI-CYCLE! BI-CYCLE! I want to ride my bicycle...:whistle:

I was a member of the club cycling team at Ohio State for a while and believe me a good bike makes a world of difference. It's amazing how one can ride and handle almost completely differently than another when they look almost exactly the same. A $50 bike from Walmart is fine for getting to class or around town but its absolutely hopeless if you want to do any sort of recreational riding.

Weight, frame stiffness, tons of things may lead to someone paying that much for a bike. Also, some people do pay more for prestige...

Grats on the new bike, glad the weather will be nice by the time you get it too!

Pretty much one word: weight.

My mountain bike is ALL aluminum (frame, wheels, handle bars, forks, etc.) and it's well worth it when you're having to pedal it around. Hell, I pop wheelies going up a steep hill if I'm not careful. :p

Yer on the other side of the country! Impossible! :p

If he was a true motorcyclist (and I'm not doubting that he isn't) then that wouldn't stop him.

Great bike scott, I hope you make the most of it. 3 grand for a bicycle isn't an easy decision to justify unless you're of the supremely hardcore type. :thumbup:

I was expecting a crazy MTB for a minute when I saw the price but I forgot about racing bikes :D

and I spent most my life riding a $200 BMX from wal mart (nothing the same now) and I can support paying that much for a bicycle if you're looking for something really good

I would imagine the gears/brakes work amazingly on any expensive bicycle, and will hopefully last a really long time. and lightness doesn't come cheap ethier

Great bike scott, I hope you make the most of it. 3 grand for a bicycle isn't an easy decision to justify unless you're of the supremely hardcore type. :thumbup:

The difference lies in the weight (as Viper said), and the quality of the components. You could buy a roadie for under $1000, but when you'd go to ride it, you'd be slugging along wondering why the hell you didn't go for the more expensive, but better option.

My brother bought a $3000 Trek (the same brand that Lance Armstrong used to use) which I've sorta commandeered since he gave up riding.

I'm not sure what sort of brand a Fuji is though, but apparently it is 'simply better'...:cool: