My Five Year Plan

• Back to Wisconsin.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • A clean slate; North Dakota or Idaho.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Stay where you are. Tough it out.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
there are many farms in the south of norway who wants you to run it, come over and "find yourself" here :)

Home is were the heart is Jay, and in your case that seems to scream Wisconsin.

Few things are as depressing and straining on life as a man missing his homeland, I quess it's something instinctive, I feel the problem gets worse when countryfolk get stuck in a city like in your case.
Hell I'm from what is considered one of the most crowded regions of the world and I still get the heebiejeebies after a few days in a big city.

...it sounds like you might have some sort of mental health issue based on what you've posted.

I have "battled" bi-polar manic depression since I was a teenager, so yes I understand what you mean. I am doing much better than I was two months ago, which was when I was at rock bottom, and since then I have come back from the edge. Just being able to laugh is a blessing, I was not able to for a month.

Mercifully I am not like my brother, who is both depressive and schizophrenic.

The pull to move back to Wisconsin is strong and I am not the only one; apparently, of all the states in the union, Wisconsin has the highest percentage (70%, IIRC?) of people who either stay there their whole life, or move back. When I went back in late May was when my life started turning for the better; everything felt right in the world.

You don't have to leave Illinois to have country, drive farther south then Aurora or go north to Harvard, Hebron, Chemung, Marengo....

There's job's around here.

Get to know your parents better, you never know when they are gone.

My parents, though elderly, are in Wisconsin. I give them ten more years.

I don't have any friends anywhere. Since 1997 I have been afraid to make friends or to get too close.

Isn't that weird? How I am on the internet is exactly how I am in real life, yet I push everyone away from me. But that...is one big ugly can of worms.

Your situation is very similar to mine - except for the divorce part. I spent what will be 20 years this October living in California. I don't mind the cities that much, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't belong here. (I should have realized that the depression, high blood pressure, weight gain, and asthma were a clear sign to get the hell out, but I don't listen too well sometimes.) 2 weeks visiting my birth family in New Hampshire taught me where home truly was. It sounds like for you, Wisconsin is home. You should be wherever you were at your happiest. Life is too short to spend it being miserable. So follow Viper's advice - go where you are happy.

Oh, and I hate to break it to you, Jay - but you have quite a few friends here.