My Ford Ranger

Karn Evil

Car(s)
2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
I've had the truck since February. It is a 2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, with the 4.0L V6, and a 5spd. manual. Since I bought it, I added a spray in LINE-X bed-liner. Larger tires, and a lift is on the list of things I want to do, but I'm going to wait until the stock tires wear out before I do that.

Enough yapping, onto the pics.

3282291460_85de3e245d.jpg

3282291716_87b6c82d38.jpg

3281471593_b72e3e43aa.jpg

3281473247_2344de6906.jpg

I almost bought one but the extended cab was just too small for me.

Nice and clean truck though :).

I miss my old ranger. It had the 4-banger, but the manual was wound so tight I would beat Z71s to ~40...after that, though, they wiped the floor with me. :p

I also got my best "written warning" from a police officer in it...103 in a 45mph zone.

This was back in the day when leasing to the public was a new thing...people weren't doing it yet. You could get a Neon for $59 a month! My '97 XLT was $95 a month. :)

However, 3 weeks before my lease was up, I rolled it on the way home from a dealership after test-driving the Jeep I ended up buying...I think my Ranger could smell the other truck on me and got jealous. Ended up totaled. The insurance company basically bought the truck, so I got my security deposit back. :)

Funny thing is, after that accident, a friend of a friend also rolled their Ranger. After I found this out, I called this mutual friend in-between us who also had a ranger and said "Your turn!"

2 weeks later, he had a head-on collision.

Out of all 3 of our accidents, though, the only violations handed out to any of us was the ticket for obstructing a traffic signal...because when I landed on my roof, the back of the truck was sticking up in the air, and I was blocking a "Merging Traffic" sign, and the friend-of-a-friend got a trespassing ticket...after rolling over 4-times down the drop-off over the side of the road, they landed in someone's yard. No "fault" points were assessed to any of our records.

Mine was red, too. It was a great red...never looked dirty, even in Wisconsin winter. I was with the insurance inspector when he came to decide the fate of the truck, and even though he wrote it off, he said "Wow...the condition was great...if this thing wasn't in the accident, you could almost have sold it as new!"

Last edited:
Yeah, they are great little trucks, and several of my family members have had them in the past. The last vehicle I had was a '97 explorer with the same engine, and that ran a good 140k before I sold it, and was still running fine.

The only problem I have with it, is the age of the engine design. It is thirsty and weak. Seriously, 210hp out of 4.0L, and I'm lucky if I get 20mpg.

I know what you mean., I had a '96 explorer sport after the jeep. It had the 4.0. Ran great when I sold it with about 130k miles, but it was underpowered for the engine size. It wasn't as thirsty as I thought it originally was once compared to my next car...but that was a Dodge Stratus, so...everything about that car was crap...

Nice, looks like a new-ah what am I saying, tis almost identical to my 06. And yes, they should get more than 207hp out of this damn motor.

One thing you may want to to for a 1.5" to 2" lift is the "pre-key" mod. In 08, they changed the clocking of the torsion keys to make the trucks lower (for gas mileage? I dunno). Anywho, putting a set of keys in from an 98-07 should net you a lift. And get the matching blocks from an older truck.

A link

Nice, looks like a new-ah what am I saying, tis almost identical to my 06. And yes, they should get more than 207hp out of this damn motor.

One thing you may want to to for a 1.5" to 2" lift is the "pre-key" mod. In 08, they changed the clocking of the torsion keys to make the trucks lower (for gas mileage? I dunno). Anywho, putting a set of keys in from an 98-07 should net you a lift. And get the matching blocks from an older truck.

A link

Yeah, I know all about the "pre-key" mod. I heard that with lowering it, Ford was able to get an extra 1mpg out of it (whoopie! :rolleyes:) I"ll probably do it when I get the larger tires.

I still like the looks of the ranger, and if the rumors are true that it is going to get re-styled then I hope it doesn't look too bad. Although, the rumored 2.0L "ecoboost" sounds like a nice replacement for the 4.0L

I guess Ford found a winning formula with the Ranger; it does not look they have changed much in the past ten years. Same with the E series, but oddly, not with the F series.

Then again, if I had to buy a full sized truck, it is Ford or nothing. Chevrolet and Dodge just cannot take a beating and abuse like a Ford can.