My friends and I take on Top Gear with our own film

Looks good! Where did you guys do most of your filming?

I have a question for Mr SVB [again]. Did you seek official permission to film... wherever it was you filmed, and if so, was it expensive.

Haha, nope. :mrgreen:

Looks good! Where did you guys do most of your filming?

The specifics will all be revealed in the film, but pretty much all over California. We started in San Luis Obispo, so that should give you some idea, and there are some obvious landmarks in the two trailers.

Wow, I JUST saw this. It's fantastic. You've got me excited like it's actual Top Gear.

Awesome, thanks!! It's very tough to pull this off given the obvious comparisons to Top Gear UK that will be made (see: Top Gear Australia), so it's great to hear that we would even come close.

In related news, we're doing some additional shooting this weekend, and will hope to have the full film out sometime in December. It will probably be about an hour long, similar to the Top Gear hour-long challenges (US, North Pole, Africa...).

Also, the second trailer is now also up on StreetFire, for anyone who is active over there:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/TRAILER-II-for-The-Road_191765.htm

Let me be another person to say that it looks to be great. I saw on your website that you started in San Luis Obispo, was this because this is where Highway 1 picks up again and meanders along the coast for a very long time? If you didn't notice, I presently reside in SLO, so you peaked my curiosity.

Let me be another person to say that it looks to be great. I saw on your website that you started in San Luis Obispo, was this because this is where Highway 1 picks up again and meanders along the coast for a very long time? If you didn't notice, I presently reside in SLO, so you peaked my curiosity.

To be honest, we started in San Luis Obispo because that's where Brandon, the Fiat driver, lives and its about halfway between LA and SF so it provided a convenient meeting point.

We did this whole thing on an insanely low budget, so most of the places we chose to stop were places where one of our friends live. But all in all, we drove about 400 miles during the film so you get a pretty good look at a number of different parts of the state.

Again, sorry for the slow leak of info and content on this, but post-production has been a very lengthy process. We recently completed the additional shooting I mentioned we might be doing, so we are now very close to completing the film. Again, I can reasonably project a December release. Here are a couple stills from our last shoot to give you an idea what we've been up to:

n8503920_32095405_9399.jpg

n8503920_32095404_9147.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple stills from our last shoot to give you an idea what we've been up to:

sherman2.jpg

sherman1.jpg

You might want to rehost the pics....they work fine if I copy and paste, but for some reason (not sure if anyone else is having this problem) not on the thread itself. If I may have one minor nitpick, the first shot has the BMW nearly completely blocked by the scoring board; would it be better if the board was somewhere not so much in the way? Still very much looking forward to the final release.

You might want to rehost the pics....they work fine if I copy and paste, but for some reason (not sure if anyone else is having this problem) not on the thread itself.

Fixed.

If I may have one minor nitpick, the first shot has the BMW nearly completely blocked by the scoring board; would it be better if the board was somewhere not so much in the way?

Don't worry, it's not there the whole time.

Awesome! I can't wait! How long do you think it'll end up being?

Looks absolutely AWESOME!! Can't wait to see the full version. I want to do a Top-Gear-style review/film, but obviously I don't have a license :p

I envy you guys :mrgreen:

Final Gear, the movie anyone?!!

Soooo fucking yes! :woot:

Reactions: svb
Awesome! I can't wait! How long do you think it'll end up being?

the film as it is right now is about 54 or 55 minutes. That will be about the length of the final version as well. Sounds like a lot for an amateur production, but we did A LOT during the shoot and I'm confident that the film maintains a good pace the whole way through.

That trailer looked better than the Australian Top Gear. ;)

Thanks!! That's one hell of a compliment. I know TG AUS has been off to a rough start, but they have a much bigger budget and the advantage of actually being a "Top Gear" derivative.

Our goal is to figure out a way to do more of this so it's great to get any and all feedback. Thanks guys!

You havent been up front with us! I just checked and the first 15 minutes are up... looks sweet!
http://greatestroadinca.blogspot.com/

Oh, sorry, you must have missed the new thread here:

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/part-one-of-the-greatest-road-in-ca-now-online-31544/

Since this was the first official release I figured it best to put it in a separate thread, as the whole trailers & post-production development discussion is basically over now...

but yeah. Check out the first 15 minutes!! And plz direct your replies to the new thread. :)