My Hometown is Famous for...

Haugesund Norway.

Famous for...

Herring Jazz festival... yes... herring as in the fish.

And Jazz as in the Honda? :p

Well a Honda full of herring is only one step away from a hovercraft full of eels.

Oh God.....

Mechanicsburg's not exactly my hometown since I wasnt born here, but I wasnt exactly raised in Harrisburg either, and York/Dover was largely meh for me. Duncannon was great despite its much derided location but since im in Mechanicsburg and have been for a while I'll go with it.

Mechanicsburg is home to the largest, longest running one day street fair in the Northeast. Dubbed jubliee day, the entire main street is closed off and much fun, music, games, and food is had. http://mechanicsburgchamber.org/events_jubilee_day.php

It's amazing how they manage to transform a street in only a few hours.

So Cowboy, where's your outfit? :tease:

I will not be associated with those 'carnaval' idiots in any way, shape, or form, I'm a 100 km's (what? In U-rope that's alot!) away from the imitation drag-queens posted :p

Strike Belgium off my places to visit list.

Well I'm joking. It was never on there to begin with.

Actually I cant really talk, I'm currently based in a town called Broken Hill who's claim to fame is this:

Last year I lived in a town who were famous for this:

Elvis02.jpg

I can pick 'em :p

Last edited:
Last year I lived in a town who were famous for this:

Elvis02.jpg

I can pick 'em :p

I think it is safe to say that Parkes is a little more famous for being the location of the radio telescope that received the television signals from Apollo 11 of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. Approximately 600 million people around the world watched that event thanks to Parkes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well my home town is the largest town in the county and among the oldest with existing city priviliges dating to 1498. The city may be a few hundred years older but the records have been lost so nobody can tell. Since 1498 it has changed nationality seven times which is a national record and burned to the ground six times (spot the connection?) and partially burned down on numerous further occasions.

It's ship wharf, before going belly up in the 80's after Japan and Korea decided to seize the wharf industry, was extremely productive and built the largest vessel of it's time, the 499 000 DWT tanker "Nanny", which still holds the record as the widest ship (79,1 m) ever built, ten meters wider than the Seawise Giant, the biggest ship of all time (94 meters longer!). Since my home town is in a bay they had to dredge the sea floor before the vessel could get out as it was too narrow.

SeaWorld-4.jpg

Notice the men on the right.

Later renamed King Alexander and Sea World she was scrapped in 2003. Tanker ships look funny when they're empty.

But since nobody remembers history anymore we move on to things we may actually be famous for, if you see a Volvo C70 it was made here and we have a nice bridge that you pass over if you're driving on the E6.

Last edited:
Not exactly my hometown, but the town I've been living more than half of my life at:

img_5912.jpg

cerejas.jpg

and (I have no way to confirm this) I've heard almost all the production of the cherries inside

m0n_scheri.jpg

comes from our region.

We also have a yearly festival when we drink cherry liquors, cherries dipped in chocolate fountains, etc.:

cerejaschocolate.jpg

Last edited:
100Km isn't far.

We have people down here whose next-door neighbours are 100Km away. :p

I know I know, you don't have to tell me, I long for open spaces.....but keep in mind this country is only about 300km's 'wide' and 200 'high', so a hundred is alot for most people, infact in a hundred I can reach France, luxembourg, Germany or Holland......then again why would I want to :p

Holy water

muFfo.jpg

Mostly known as the birth place of this guy:

7aQEa.gif

and even older stuff

Roman_Theatre_Plovdiv.jpg

My hometown is famous for Mormons (even though most of the city is not Mormon) and a shitty movie.

My hometown is famous for toys and heros:

Tonka Trucks
1964tonka-580x435.jpg

And Hercules!
jld_sl05b.jpg

One of Sorbo's prop swords is in city hall, right next to where I pay my water bill.