Ownership Verified: My Inca Yellow sports saloon...

ahpadt said:
So how much did the garage charge you?
Less than I thought, but enough that I sort of expected the fundamentals to be sorted...

I phoned them up and explained the situation, it went a bit like this:

"The cars wheels are pointing different directions..."
"Oh, I didn't do anything with the alignment."
"Right, but you fitted new steering rack bushes?"
"Yeah, and the new joints on the steering column."
"And you found nothing wrong with anything."
"No, didn't see anything off."
"But the wheels aren't pointing the same way."
"Drop it off tomorrow and I'll check the alignment."

Now, I'm not a mechanic. But when one of the problems described to me is "heavy steering", the first thing I'd check would be tyre pressures and wheel alignment. Also, if I was faffing about with the steering rack with the car up on a ramp right in front of me I'd like to think it'd be one of those things I'd do purely for peace of mind if nothing else.

I'll have further words with the guy tomorrow...

How did these people you go to even get employment as car mechanics?

How did these people you go to even get employment as car mechanics?

-Car owners as inept/lazy as them
-Lack of better places to take your car
-??
-Profit

Should be mentioned that this is the level of service Dolomite owners have come to expect. :mrgreen:

LOL Awesome!

One would assume when you are replacing front suspension and steering components that you would check and align the wheels once completed?

Are you taking this thing to the same garage as AM takes his Pandas? They seem to be about as (in)competent.

Oh, I got the two of them completely mixed up. My mind just couldn't fathom that two brits could have the same sort of complete backbirth working on their shitty old cars and compressed them together into a ball of angst and incompetence.

Public is counterbalancing them with the amish garage, which seems to be the muster of competence and workmanship :)

Oh, I got the two of them completely mixed up. My mind just couldn't fathom that two brits could have the same sort of complete backbirth working on their shitty old cars and compressed them together into a ball of angst and incompetence.

Only two Brits? I haven't told anyone about the floor in mine yet...

Well, I drove it to work earlier this week.

The steering is still very much buggered, within 20 miles the brakes needed a good few pumps to get any pressure and there is also a whining/rumbling from the back end that suggests the diff is fucked. So half a grand later and the car is still just as un-drivable as it was before. Sitting in salt for 9 weeks hasn't done it any good either with quite a lot of new rust bursting through paintwork and the chrome is a complete mess.

Currently it's sat outside the house and will probably remain there for the foreseeable future, quietly dissolving.

The steering is still very much buggered, within 20 miles the brakes needed a good few pumps to get any pressure and there is also a whining/rumbling from the back end that suggests the diff is fucked. So half a grand later and the car is still just as un-drivable as it was before. Sitting in salt for 9 weeks hasn't done it any good either with quite a lot of new rust bursting through paintwork and the chrome is a complete mess.

Currently it's sat outside the house and will probably remain there for the foreseeable future, quietly dissolving.

selling_dice.jpg

62Rig23.gif