Ownership Verified: My Inca Yellow sports saloon...

This car continues to be a bit of a nightmare. Although a bargain at ?850 for a Dolomite with a years MOT it's has started to show it's true colours. Eventually the problems with the steering improved with repeated trips to the garage but it never got to the same level as it had been before., I resigned myself to buying a new steering rack which is waiting to be fitted.

The car went back into regular use alongside my Corsa and generally improved over time, I bought some NOS wheel trims from an earlier Dolomite to replace the plastic ones it should have had.

20140903_171936Copy.jpg

At the tail end of last year it went wrong in several lengthy, irritating and expensive ways, firstly the thermostat jammed shut and the car overheated on Aberdeen beach front. This blew out some rather irritating O-ring seals between the thermostat housing and the water pump, the thermostat housing is built into the intake manifold so the whole lot has to come off to replace them.
broken.jpg

At the time the 1300 was occupying the garage so fixing the 1850 became weather dependant, it took weeks. It's an utter ball ache of a job and I was blessed with an unseasonally warm Autumn night with which to get it sorted. While I did that I replaced all the rubber fuel and water pipes in the engine bay.
20140930_192451_LLS.jpg

With winter closing in I decided to use the 1850 as a winter hack as to fit winter tyres/wheels to the Corsa would be stupid money and I didn't want to risk damaging it. So I bought a set of winter tyres and painted my steel wheels black. This was around one year after buying the car. At this point it looked mostly the same as when I bought it.

oneyearon-1.jpg

23112014-3.jpg

After Christmas things took a turn for the worse, the numerous layers of poor quality respray started to flake away, leaving the old factory paint in some places and rust in others. My attempts at fixing showed that the car was no longer quite the same shade of Inca Yellow as my spray cans.
20150106_152759%20Copy.jpg

Then the starter motor died so the car ended up sitting for a few weeks until that was replaced. At the same time I moved house and sold the Corsa.
20150409_200521.jpg

Then the driveshaft rubbers failed and rendered the car undrivable, this cost a fair amount to fix and the car was laid up at my parent's place for a good few weeks again and the 1300 took over daily drive duties. When this was repaired the brakes stopped working properly and the leak from the thermostat re-appeared causing the car to run hot. A knocking sound had also appeared from the engine which suggested big end bearing wear. I put the car in for it's MOT to see what needed fixing.

20150514_194604.jpg

Condensed that reads:

Every brake pipe and hose needs replacing, as the do the front discs and pads. Rear drums are seized + handbrake doesn't work.
The fuel line under the car needs replacing.
Most of the exhaust rubber mounts need replacing.
The exhaust emissions are too high and the car is blowing smoke when revved.
The exhaust is also leaking where the manifold meets the downpipe.
Steering rack bushes are perished.
Oil leak at the rear of the engine.
Right hand indicator not flashing and one of the full beam headlights was blown.
Driver's side chassis leg holed in two places.
Various other misc bits and pieces.

I limped the car back to my house as I couldn't keep it on the street with no MOT. Over the next few months many hundreds of pounds left my bank account and reappeared in the form of stuff, namely a spare 1850cc engine, new brake pipes, discs and pads etc, etc. At this point I began Operation Sod Cosmetics. It became clear I didn't have the cash to both fix the car mechanically and structurally AND repaint it to a decent standard. So I sanded back all the surface rust, treated the metal work and painted over it with industrial grade paint, in red. At the same time my hours at work increased and I started working 6 days a week to make ends meet leaving me even less time to work on the car which was already weather dependent to start with.

I started stripping out the old brake pipes and replacing them which was a nightmare as everything was COATED in layers and layers of underseal and was siezed to all hell. I ended up taking a junior hacksaw to several sections.
20150726_144337%20Copy.jpg

20150726_193030.jpg

Then I poked the chassis leg holes.
20150522_183808%20Copy.jpg

At this point I was quite disheartened, under the billion layers of underseal lay some questionable sections of metalwork that hadn't been improved by every single drain point being blocked. I also tried to re-hang the exhaust but got nowhere in 4+ hours of lying under the car wrestling with the things. Then work announced we were switching from being paid weekly to being paid monthly leaving me flat broke. Around the same time I was featured in the UK's best selling classic car magazine, the content was slightly outdated.
20150806_235658%20Copy.jpg

The 1300 then suffered a series of failures including the exhaust and the alternator which bit in to my car repair funds quite badly.

So that brings us pretty much up to date. There is still a mountain of work left to do and my finances have hit an all time low and the weather has taken a turn for the worse as summer is very much over. Trying to finish the rear brake pipes today I looked at the rear suspension rubbers and they are all pretty fucked, the subfame mounts have also seen better days. Currently hunting for a second job with the aim of getting enough money to send the car to a garage to have some of the work done as I don't have the time or energy I used to have a year or two ago.

20150831_155947.jpg

20150831_160000.jpg

I don't give a shit about how it looks I just want it to be back on the road at this point but it's a case of one step forwards, two steps back... and when I step back it's into a bear trap... Which already has a bear in it... And the bear is on fire. Also while I fight off the flaming bear my parents are standing to one side asking if I have a girlfriend yet and if I've considered selling the cars and taking up a cheaper, more socially acceptable hobby like collecting anime figurines or crack cocaine.

Whoa there, I won't have it said that owning old cars isn't socially acceptable. No matter how true it may turn out to be.

You should also lobby Hammerite to make red primer in yellow.

I love how you put anime-collecting and crack-smoking in the same class.

Such a cool car but wow, I can't believe the rust on this thing. This looks like something from my area where they salt the roads 3 months a year.

I thought they salted the roads 11 months of the year in Scotland.

Maybe they're like Norway. "it's below 10C better salt the roads." :p

Maybe they're like Norway. "it's below 10C better salt the roads." :p

Not far off! Salting season is probably the start of November until the end of March. 1976 is also largely agreed to be the worst year for steel used in BL car production due to incredibly shoddy Eastern European steel being imported. Not to mention the average lifespan of a BL car was 8-12 years or 100,000 miles, whichever came first. They weren't even the worst, I was talking to a chap at a car show who had bought a Vauxhall Victor brand new in the late 1960s and scrapped it due to terminal rot at 6 years old!

Places like the wheel arches and chassis I can understand but the bloody thing is rusting in the middle of the flat door panels. No paint chips or water traps, it just rusts for shits and giggles. This car also spent most of it's life in London, far away from harsh winters or gritted roads and has still had substantial welding done in the past to the floors!

Not to mention the average lifespan of a BL car was 8-12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever came first.

FTFY. :mrgreen:

Places like the wheel arches and chassis I can understand but the bloody thing is rusting in the middle of the flat door panels. No paint chips or water traps, it just rusts for shits and giggles. This car also spent most of it's life in London, far away from harsh winters or gritted roads and has still had substantial welding done in the past to the floors!

Actually, that's quite understandable. Think about how the paint and 'rustproofiing' (if any) was applied and you'll see that the center of a panel is going to receive the least coverage.

I thought they salted the roads 11 months of the year in Scotland.

For some reason I thought his location was London. My comment looks pretty stupid now...

For some reason I thought his location was London.

His '70s style would fit in nicely with the London hipsters so I can understand why you might think that.

Actually, that's quite understandable. Think about how the paint and 'rustproofiing' (if any) was applied and you'll see that the center of a panel is going to receive the least coverage.
Not sure if anything was done at the factory, nothing that was any good anyway. Both my cars had aftermarket stuff done at purchase by the looks of it but it seems to only have covered the undercarriage and underside of the bonnet and bootlid.

His '70s style would fit in nicely with the London hipsters so I can understand why you might think that.
While in Glasgow a short while ago I remarked to a friend how odd it was to not be the weirdest person in view. I looked positively dull compared to the people with neon pink hair and mad outfits etc who were going about their daily business in the town centre. Where I live wearing a blazer when under the age of 60 is enough to make you stand out as a bit of mentalist. :lol: