Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

Hopefully the guy testing was like “yeah, I know, my boss is watching.”

Hopefully the guy testing was like “yeah, I know, my boss is watching.”

He was 3 meters behind him (from the last picture) in a pickup.

"Rev it! I must measure it under throttle!"

It really is a Golf cart now.

Todays updates!

- reverse camera showed black screen.
- got the charging card from germany, so i can charge for free, which is nice.

need that shirt, and i also sorta don't need my diesel brothers shirt anymore ;_;

You know, maybe something can be done about that. :think:

I like this thing, it's fun and it looks like a little hamster. You can tell that guy at the track is grinning in the bottom picture.

How do find the driving position and the visibility around the A-pillar?

Oh man, I wish these were offered here! Great car and great color!

You can tell that guy at the track is grinning in the bottom picture.

He most definitely was, that's why I wanted to post those pictures as a series :-D

Such a track beast.

143913.jpg

Here is my weekly picdump / what has been wrong with the car :D

Yesterday car decided that rear left turning indicator wasn't needed, so i ignored the alert and it was gone when i needed the car again 3h later D:

Car uses about 8% battery on my 25km commute (mostly ringroads, 80km/h), so calculated range while only doing commute is 312km.
While on comparison at 123km/h the consumption is 15kW/100km on level ground with aircon on, so ~350km range, not bad.

Since the car comes with massaging seats, the button is placed on the side of the seat, where if you sit onto the seat in a certain way it automaticly starts.

gotta say the type2 charging cable is long:

was waiting on someone to post "1st!", so here it is:

Yesterday car decided that rear left turning indicator wasn't needed, so i ignored the alert and it was gone when i needed the car again 3h later D:
My Model 3 has loudly alerted me to left low beam failing and needing service twice, even though it was visibly on and perfectly fine both times. Warning went away after a single drive both times, last one is about half a year back now, so I assume it was a misdetection. Those LEDs are supposed to last pretty much forever... theoretically.
Car uses about 8% battery on my 25km commute (mostly ringroads, 80km/h), so calculated range while only doing commute is 312km.
While on comparison at 123km/h the consumption is 15kW/100km on level ground with aircon on, so ~350km range, not bad.
That's pretty decent consumption for highway speed. I haven't done any terribly scientific measurements, but my usual highway consumption averages out to somewhere around 20kWh/100km. Also, with "aircon on" do you mean just cooling or also heating? The latter will absolutely demolish the Model 3's consumption; however, iirc you have a heat pump in the ID.3, so it should manage quite a bit better in the cold.

The cable is so long so you can park your car any way you'd like (backwards, like you did, or the incorrect way) and you'll still have enough cable for it to reach the charge port. I see the port is in the right rear, identical to my Golf, and I like that. None of this "lets open a shitty flap on the front so our hands are covered in schmutz everytime we open and close it" nonsense like on a Leaf.

Got to drive one of these for a short while too, it's massively more roomy on the inside compared to my Golf. Interior quality a bit meh, but overall driving is quite fun. It will drift too because RWD.

My Model 3 has loudly alerted me to left low beam failing and needing service twice, even though it was visibly on and perfectly fine both times. Warning went away after a single drive both times, last one is about half a year back now, so I assume it was a misdetection. Those LEDs are supposed to last pretty much forever... theoretically.

That's pretty decent consumption for highway speed. I haven't done any terribly scientific measurements, but my usual highway consumption averages out to somewhere around 20kWh/100km. Also, with "aircon on" do you mean just cooling or also heating? The latter will absolutely demolish the Model 3's consumption; however, iirc you have a heat pump in the ID.3, so it should manage quite a bit better in the cold.

LEDs are magic....
as for the aircon, outside temp was 12c, and inside was set to 20c, to mostly heating.
Will see more in the winter.

The cable is so long so you can park your car any way you'd like (backwards, like you did, or the incorrect way) and you'll still have enough cable for it to reach the charge port. I see the port is in the right rear, identical to my Golf, and I like that. None of this "lets open a shitty flap on the front so our hands are covered in schmutz everytime we open and close it" nonsense like on a Leaf.

Got to drive one of these for a short while too, it's massively more roomy on the inside compared to my Golf. Interior quality a bit meh, but overall driving is quite fun. It will drift too because RWD.

you should have tried the drift after the id3 had couple laps in a track, lets just say the "EV marked tires" aren't as grippy in the damp anymore D:

Well it was raining like hell, and my ID3 had the same shitty tyres. ESP was all over the place, but still fun to go sideways though

The ID3 I test drove was quite tail happy too - Of course, I didn't turn off any driver aids on a tiny little twisty road in a dealer car.

I did find out that the turning circle is amazing ... Which means that the drift angles would be amazing too... :whistle:

Curious as to how driver aids work in a car like this.

Remember, this is 2020 and people are no longer used to driving RWD vehicles. Gearheads yes, but normal people, no way. And here we have what's meant to be the successor to the Golf, all of a sudden with RWD and with tons of instant torque to break the rear wheels loose if you aren't careful. I would imagine that VW put lots of thought into the traction control system on this one.

It took care of things nicely - But I was on a tight twisty road that I barely know with a pregnant GF next to me, so I wasn't really pushing it

It took care of things nicely - But I was on a tight twisty road that I barely know with a pregnant GF next to me, so I wasn't really pushing it

*Thinks back to ringmeet 2019 with Olex's Model 3*

Here is the "clean" lap of the trackday:

with professional titlescreen!