Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
Can you show the hud? Never seen one and apparently it can't be filmed so no video review shows it. Is it really across the whole windscreen?

Galantti

Is all about the suomibass
DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
Can you show the hud? Never seen one and apparently it can't be filmed so no video review shows it. Is it really across the whole windscreen?

the whole screeen hud is not available yet, but there is small portion of it showing in windshield.
And as for video, i point you to autogëfuel's video :p

basic HUd can bee seen:
(if direct link isn't working, go to 22min 24sec)
Augmented reality version (coming Soon TM) is in 22min 53sec.

i will do update when the whole screen hud appears :p

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
Another week another update, thought it is a small one:

Winter tire season has started!

those are 18" rims, with Continental VikingContact 7 in 215/55R18TXL lol wtf bbq xiit

YT keeps showing me ID3 fault videos, and yet i have none of those faults. *knocks on wood*

now my head hurts

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
an Update!

I had noticed that while i had selected the automatic dark/day -dimming mode in the maps, i always was in the dark mode, unless i selected day mode.

Also nearly got t-boned by a Fiat Ducato in a roundabout, also a random taxi decided to take my lane on a ringroad just in front of me.

I have this theory that a car with a color other than grey/black/white is not seen by the other motorist, which i have confirmed with my previous colored cars (the DS3, Fiesta), makes so that other motorists don't seem to notice the car and just come to my lane.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I have automatic dark mode for the center touchscreen as well. It goes dark when the headlights come on.

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
I have automatic dark mode for the center touchscreen as well. It goes dark when the headlights come on.
The centre screen doesn't have automatic mode for it, just the maps, which isn't changing even if the light are on or of :(

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
So like HI!

I used the car for delivering 55" tv, and made a note to self "don't have more than 1 passanger in the car since there is no backseat available if moving larger items.

And an update!
last weekend coming back from 12,5h shift, car decided that i don't need cruise or lane assist half way driving home.
Of course this error went away with a reboot of the car, like usual.

driven over 4k km with the id3 so far, and still waiting for the 12V battery issues.

Will keep you posted about snow driving when more snow falls.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
The 12v battery issues usually only occur with people who drive just a few kms per day... Just like an ICE engine. Only trouble is here the 12v battery essentially is used to power everything, including the software to give access to the big battery.

As long as you regularly drive and charge it, you should not have the issue at all.

But you can't push start an EV since you can't select drive

leviathan

Snores like a puppy
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
This issue would be easy to solve by allowing the 12v battery to be able to draw power from the main EV battery
Not as easy as you think. The 12V battery _is_ allowed to draw the power from the main, that's how it's recharged while the car is "on" (via a DC-DC converter, basically equivalent to an alternator/generator on a running engine). However, when the car is fully "off", the main battery is hard disconnected on the contactors (very large relays) as to make the high voltage system of the car safe. When they are disconnected, the 12V system is "on its own" - nothing draws power from the main pack, including the DC-DC system. The 12V is also needed to re-engage the contactors and enable the HV system again, which is why the car cannot be charged or used at all if the 12V runs empty.

Now, a clever solution to this is to keep a watch on the 12V battery state while the car is off/asleep, and re-engage the contactors and let the DC-DC recharge the 12V periodically if needed. This is what Tesla eventually implemented after having the same issue early on. I assume this functionality must be present in the VW as well, but possibly unreliable or the waiting period is too long / standby drain on 12V is too high to reliably get it recharged before it runs lower than is needed to re-engage the HV.