Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
Heating the interior in an ICE car is no big deal

Someone forgot to tell VAG that when they designed the engine in our Octavias. 😂

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
[QUOTE="narf”]
You can just go and look for the data yourself .

And rob you of the joy of looking it up? Surely not!
Also its kind of hard to compare since you never really run a battery until it’s empty so there’s tons of ‘little’ charges, which always means less than ideal measurements
[/QUOTE]
That's why I was looking at kWh/100km, not battery range.

Galantti

Is all about the suomibass
DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
Yesterday i went to a mall and had tried their own (thank for yet again a new app) 11kW chargers, and i had forgot the "half AC chargin speed" -option on and got like 37km/h speed....
So i did a test with the mode that halfs the AC-charging speed, i enabled aircon and guessed that the charging speed would be the same, since there was ~5,5kW left for aircon to use.

NOPE, it halved the charging speed yet again to ~16km/h XD.

Should have guessd that would happen.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
I never understood why VW opted for km/hr since that is also dependant on consumption and not just the charging speed. Also doesn’t it automatically switch from km/hr to km/ min on a fast charger to further complicate things?

Just give us kW and estimated time until full, is it that hard? Mine doesn’t even show a % just a guesstimate based on previous consumption….

Dear VW, we’re not all 537 years old or dumb as nails…. Some of us understand EVs and just want to know the actual number ( like 37kw or 67% full). The data is there, hidden, so why not just inform us?

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
Dear VW, we’re not all 537 years old or dumb as nails…. Some of us understand EVs and just want to know the actual number ( like 37kw or 67% full). The data is there, hidden, so why not just inform us?

But the vast majority are. And manufacturers make cars for them.

Also, that you need many apps just to keep your car topped still strikes me as wrong, somehow.

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
I never understood why VW opted for km/hr since that is also dependant on consumption and not just the charging speed. Also doesn’t it automatically switch from km/hr to km/ min on a fast charger to further complicate things?

Just give us kW and estimated time until full, is it that hard? Mine doesn’t even show a % just a guesstimate based on previous consumption….

and while DC fast charging, they change it to km/min!

luckly one of the german yt that i follow had an app that uses obd to show the kw readouts, i shoud start to use that (when i find where i misplaced my obd-bt dongle).

Also, that you need many apps just to keep your car topped still strikes me as wrong, somehow.

yeah, its like having a fuel card that only works at that brand (i guess that is a thing with company fuel cards :unsure: ).

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
yeah, its like having a fuel card that only works at that brand (i guess that is a thing with company fuel cards :unsure: ).
Depends... most I've seen are multi-branded / partner-networked, for example my EuroShell will also work at OMV, Esso, and Avia... Q8 and F24 in Denmark, ST1 in Sweden, etc. - also at Shell 😅

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo

Charging companies saw an opportunity and took it, I guess. Do the apps have any redeeming features or is it just a form of payment?

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple

But aren't you using kW instead of kWh to indicate battery charge? What are you, 536 years old ? 😜

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
Charging companies saw an opportunity and took it, I guess. Do the apps have any redeeming features or is it just a form of payment?

The apps are mostly a payment, but you can start a charge with it if the screen of the charger is unusable (also if your friend needs a charge and you are on the other side of the planet, you can select the charger and start, just invoice the price to your friend).

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
But aren't you using kW instead of kWh to indicate battery charge? What are you, 536 years old ? 😜
He is doing it right - 37 kW was the current charging power, 67% for current state of charge (energy) - this second one could indeed be expressed in kWh. I assume the car only show's some 4/6 bars or some bullshit with "current range = random bullshit number that's nothing to do with reality" guesstimation next to it... so 67% or 24 kWh could indeed be more valuable.
This is the way I run as well: Tesla gives you a choice of range vs. energy - so I've set it to energy so it'll show charging speed in kW (rather than km/h) and SOC in % (rather than km). That way at least I can mentally adjust my range expectation for driving style, temperature and such (rather than have some weird-ass number that's not even close to what'll happen in reality).

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I've also set my car to show energy rather than range, much better. I don't know why this wouldn't be a standard choice.

NooDle

Car(s)
9c9d404a06ba5196ecc48f8d230d56fe.jpg

Here’s what Im working with, 10 bars (which approximate to 10% each) and some random bullshit number of kms (which gets more accurate the emptier the battery is).

So 19% or 11% is the same bracket.
So yeah, 37 kw (charging speed) or 24 kwh (battery level) or 75% would be better…

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
10 bars (which approximate to 10% each)

That’s quite good actually… from a German old school manufacturer I’d expect much worse. Something like top bar is 30%, the rest spaced totally randomly because for some reason VW just know better 🤣

Galantti

DONOR
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
9c9d404a06ba5196ecc48f8d230d56fe.jpg

Here’s what Im working with, 10 bars (which approximate to 10% each) and some random bullshit number of kms (which gets more accurate the emptier the battery is).

So 19% or 11% is the same bracket.
So yeah, 37 kw (charging speed) or 24 kwh (battery level) or 75% would be better…

This is how the fancy new app shows me the range in km and battery level:

Screenshot_2021-05-07-19-49-19-119_com.volkswagen.weconnect.jpg

NooDle

Car(s)
I found put that the same app works with the Golf (despite being unsupported) so now I finally have %! Only in the app, not the car, but still, progress!

409974b9ca46deff410c005da25824d8.jpg

I wonder how long it’ll take before someone at VW realizes this and makes it a paid feature.

And I dont have access to driving data, the windshield heaters, departure times, delayed charging etc…. But hey, percentages!

NooDle

Car(s)

True. But as the info is in the car anyway, and they all have a digital screen, just make a ‘old bastard’ screen with ‘bullshit amount of kms until empty’ and pretty graphics, and another screen displaying ‘expert’ info like battery %, kwh used, kwh remaining, power used, power limit, etc