Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

If completely frozen can’t you just heat it up remotely? Sure it’ll eat some battery but you’ll be able to drive, no?

Yes that helps, but at the time the feature was not enabled on the firmware and the battery was low-ish.
I hear the newer firmware tries to keep the battery abot freezing, but will see.

I would think only by so much but that also hurts when somebody has a low charge in the car so the balance of keeping it warm and still being able to drive to work comes into play.

yeah not having a chargin point at home makes the battery empty with just heating, preheating the car uses like 1-5% on itself :p

The solution is simple : get a home charger so you can heat it on ac power instead of battery power. Also makes sure your car is never super low on battery.

Also, my egolf has had this feature since I got it 3 years ago. How can they not enable this by default on a brand new car?

How can they not enable this by default on a brand new car?
Because the software is still not finished I guess... it’s a bit of a bummer.

also yes, just go with the 50m schuko extension out your bedroom window :hammer:

i do have 50 and 25m outdoor cables that are from the time our family went on caravaning D:

Do you find certain screens sluggish, or would that likely be an ID4 feature?

which screeens? and since the software/hw is the same so it might be sluggish but i haven't noticed it yet.

ID3 seemed okay compared to Demuro's review - my educated guess would be software issues.

Arent the ID3 and ID4 identical, interior wise? So any bugs/delays are carried over?
I drove an ID3 a while back and while not Tesla quick (response wise) the interface was fine IMHO.

My eGolf is slow in comparison, but then again my car started life in 2016, which in these terms is 200 years ago

Arent the ID3 and ID4 identical, interior wise? So any bugs/delays are carried over?
I drove an ID3 a while back and while not Tesla quick (response wise) the interface was fine IMHO.

My eGolf is slow in comparison, but then again my car started life in 2016, which in these terms is 200 years ago

yes they are platform and interior wise idetical (smaller trunk in the id3).
But id4 started with newer firmware, which i am supposed to get soon TM.

It was what Doug said that made me ask the question

So you'll get the laggy-to-the-point-of-being-unusable touchscreen update soon? :D

Hopefully they'll skip the version that's terrible in the id4.

So you'll get the laggy-to-the-point-of-being-unusable touchscreen update soon? :D

Hopefully they'll skip the version that's terrible in the id4.

Yeah watched the video and was confised how the infotainmet was so slow, mine isn't that slow at all.

We shall see with the 2.1 update, which i am currently waiting.
It was what Doug said that made me ask the question

ah yeah,s aw the video later than our question.

If my memory is correct, none of the european reviews (which i have seen) didn't mention the laggy screen :unsure:

Time for changing back to summer eco tires!

Have done 11k km with the car, and since the winter is over the range has gotten better.
Got finally scheduled time for the 2.1 update, which enables OTA updates, on the 31st of may D:

Also with my new phone, i have wireless android auto working :3 (didn't work on my nokia 7+ nor Nexus 6p.

It's nice seeing the range go up and the electrickery consumption go down as the weather warms up. Did anyone ever actually take any notice of fuel consumption going up in our ICE cars during winter? They inevitably did but I don't think we ever cared.

Nice to hear you're getting OTA updates, the lack of this on the 'mainstream manufacturer' EVs baffles me. On an older Sniff & Smith podcast Richard was talking about how they had to take his Jag I-Pace away for a week to install a software update. Madness.

Did anyone ever actually take any notice of fuel consumption going up in our ICE cars during winter? They inevitably did but I don't think we ever cared.
I do and I care. Part of it is more short-distance driving in winter (for things you'd just take the bicycle in summer), and part is that it takes longer to warm up the engine when it's cold outside...
In combination I've always experienced about 10% higher consumption on average in winter.

It's nice seeing the range go up and the electrickery consumption go down as the weather warms up. Did anyone ever actually take any notice of fuel consumption going up in our ICE cars during winter? They inevitably did but I don't think we ever cared.
Did someone ask for data? :nod:

1620135564328.png
1620135510655.png
1620135531163.png
1620135593106.png

Left to right that's the 2er, Beetle, Eos, Octavia.
It's most extreme for the 2er because its only December fillups so far were an Autobahn dash to 35C3 and back with less than economical speeds. [anyone else spot the ringmeet roadtrip bump in August? :burnrubber:]
It's least extreme for the Octavia because the convertibles have a much bigger usage pattern change between good and bad weather, but still visible.

Interesting that we have so much data. And of course @narf is the one to provide it.

Still (and we need other EV drivers to chime in here) the difference is much bigger when it comes to EVs.

From what I gather you go from roughly 6 l best case to 10 l worst case (66% increase in consumption)

My most eco friendly run in the Golf topped out at 267 kms, while the worst case (-10 and lower, cold start, mainly highway) I couldn’t do more than 130ish kms. Which is a 105% increase in consumption.

Interested to hear other ev drivers experience, as I think this impact gets smaller, the larger the battery gets, no?

Yeah, the impact is greater with EVs, especially with EVs without a heat pump. Heating the interior in an ICE car is no big deal because waste heat is plentiful.

You can just go and look for the data yourself :p I just went on the internet and found this:

Those are Model 3s with lots of "fillups". 4/6 display a very pronounced summer low, 1/6 might have a spring-biased summer low, and 1/6 doesn't display significant seasonality.
I just did the same check for Renault ZOEs to get the other end of the spectrum, and 100% of high-mileage cars (= reasonably reliable data) exhibit a very pronounced summer low. As a rough ballpark they exhibit 50% more consumption, so in theory a third less range if the battery holds the same charge.

[QUOTE="narf”]
You can just go and look for the data yourself .[/QUOTE]

And rob you of the joy of looking it up? Surely not!
Also its kind of hard to compare since you never really run a battery until it’s empty so there’s tons of ‘little’ charges, which always means less than ideal measurements