Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

yey for updates!

i got an ota update for "additional languages", "little improvements", "fixes" and "OTA more info text".

also did some meh-distance driving for "summer" consumption figures, 80km/h to the destination on the rural roads and 120km/h on the motorway coming back:
- at 80km/h range is estimated to be 408km on the 58kWh battery.
- at 120km/h range is estimated to be 268km on the 58kWh battery.

these with 20" rims and factory installed tires.

will try to get the figures with winter temps and 19" winter studdless tires.

Did you have your errors "fixed"?

We did a trip to Leppävirta and back, around 650km. Consumption was around 16,8kWh/100km since the roads were quite high speed. Just checked that the past 4000km average has been 13kWh/100km.

By the way, do you also get crazy buffeting when the windows are down? I have never experienced such bad air vibration in any car before, it hits right on some sensitive frequency making driving above 40km/h impossible with any windows (especially back) fully down.

We did a trip to Leppävirta and back, around 650km. Consumption was around 16,8kWh/100km since the roads were quite high speed. Just checked that the past 4000km average has been 13kWh/100km.

By the way, do you also get crazy buffeting when the windows are down? I have never experienced such bad air vibration in any car before, it hits right on some sensitive frequency making driving above 40km/h impossible with any windows (especially back) fully down.

My Golf has this exact same problem! The buffeting is so annoying I can’t stand the noise for more than a few seconds. The kid don’t mind it but it drives me absolutely crazy, especially at 60 or more kph.

Does your car also give warnings like ‘warning : increased air resistance causes high consumption, please close the windows’?

Buffeting is terrible in my car as well. It took me about 60.000 km of ownership to discover it because there aren’t many reasons to drive with the windows open. ?‍♂️

Buffeting is terrible in my car as well. It took me about 60.000 km of ownership to discover it because there aren’t many reasons to drive with the windows open.

I’m assuming you don’t have children? I never ever open the windows unless when I’m needing to press a button for the parking lot or when talking to someone from my car. My kids open them because they’re bored (rear windows are childproofed but they usually sit in the front now). Also, my wife hates air con and prefers ‘fresh air’ so she sometimes opens the window. I try to convince her that it’s mainly car exhaust, garbage and other people’s farts she’s breathing in, but she remains adamant it’s ‘better/healthier than airconditioned air’

Does your car also give warnings like ‘warning : increased air resistance causes high consumption, please close the windows’?
No warnings in the ID3 as of yet for me.

Sorry for hijacking this thread Galantti :D I guess car designers have not learnt that simulation only goes so far...Main reason for opening the windows was the dog. I have also tried to get a bit more feedback with windows open when driving twisty forest roads, as the sensory deprivation gets a bit too good once in a while.

So far all issues have been fixed.
Now all i need is that my phone would behave with android auto (when connected wirelessly phone thinks it get internet via car and waze has no idea about the routes or issues).

and i have not noticed the buffeting.

My Golf has this exact same problem! The buffeting is so annoying I can’t stand the noise for more than a few seconds. The kid don’t mind it but it drives me absolutely crazy, especially at 60 or more kph.

not that i have seen, i did have some drives with windows down on the hottest days when car was parked for 12h.

Buffeting is terrible in my car as well. It took me about 60.000 km of ownership to discover it because there aren’t many reasons to drive with the windows open. ?‍♂️

same, no need to drive windows down.

I’m assuming you don’t have children? I never ever open the windows unless when I’m needing to press a button for the parking lot or when talking to someone from my car. My kids open them because they’re bored (rear windows are childproofed but they usually sit in the front now). Also, my wife hates air con and prefers ‘fresh air’ so she sometimes opens the window. I try to convince her that it’s mainly car exhaust, garbage and other people’s farts she’s breathing in, but she remains adamant it’s ‘better/healthier than airconditioned air’

No kids, nor any pets.
yeah, you have lost the war abotu aircon :(

No warnings in the ID3 as of yet for me.

Sorry for hijacking this thread Galantti :D I guess car designers have not learnt that simulation only goes so far...Main reason for opening the windows was the dog. I have also tried to get a bit more feedback with windows open when driving twisty forest roads, as the sensory deprivation gets a bit too good once in a while.

no worries.
Will try to see if i notice that issue.

small update,

yeah the buffeting apparently starts at 56km/h, haven't even noticed that earlier, but i don't care, since i use aircon for speed higher than that.

Also did some range anxiety testing:
Drove 200km to @Anesthesia to deliver "a bottle of coffee" using country roads and got indicated consumtion of 13kWh/100km, while using 44%battery, which calculates ~460km range using speeds 60-80km/h.

Drove back using the motorway, and last 92km got consumption of 20,5kWh/100km while using 24% batttery, which calculated ~280km range with indicated 125km/h.

Calculated numbers are to totally empty, so i'd assume last 10-20km would be reduced power and speed.

edit. Need to do winter testing as well, but motorway will be 100km/h :/

This is the kind of service, and information you just don't get anywhere else!

This is the kind of service, and information you just don't get anywhere else!

Someone has to provide numbers for the people who are uncertain and those that need to validate the thought that ev's don't do their regular "driving to lappland without pissbreaks" D:

Ysterday there was a public trackday on the track closest to @DaBoom at Kymiring, so i got myself a 135eur pass for the day (6x20min driving).

I also managed to get my colleague to come, since he had never been on any trackdays, and was kinda hooked after the day.

So yeah, the trackday was divide into 4 groups, cars slow and fast + bikes slow and fast, and wanna guess where they put me with the information they asked about my driving experience (~20 laps at ahvenisto, 8 at Nordschleife)....

Yes in the fast group in a car with ~200hp and vmax of 165km/h, with all the lambos and 911 gt3's D:

So i chugged along with my car, and after 15mins i was passed by the fastest ones.

btw, @DaBoom is great instructor for diving lines, and he was there for couple sessions trying to teach me the layout.

after the session i just went to the slower group, with my colleague and hat great time admiring the rear end of a sleeper Suzuki Samurai :D

Here is the fastest lap of the day on the 3rd session:

after this lap, the car decide to limit the power output since battery was overtemperature (after 3 sessions of 20mins, about 20 laps in total).
Which it just informed me on the dash with "aicron turning off, cooling the battery".

So i cruised to paddocks and let the car sat there 10minutes while drinking a coffee, got a sticker of the people who organised the trackday since the track doesn't make layout stickers like nordsleife ones.

Here is Panorama from the back straigh:

And here is one from the paddocks lookign at the main straight:

So they ask for your driving experience, but not for what car you're driving? :D

they did, and i put my car details there, apparently word "electric" autoamtically means "oh another fast tesla".
idk maybe it was that.

Its now been a year of ownership!

i have driven 19k km with the car, and i got a email that the ota updates will begin next month with new update every 12 weeks.
So far car has been solid, all year average consumption has been 22,78kWh/100km (from Spritmonitor) and i managed to do 2 trackdays.

I have date scheduled for some weird *clunk* sound when starting movement from standstill from back left (either suspension or brakes) but its only heard at either starting or slowing down to standstill. In the same time they will change the studdless winter tires on the car, so no more 20" for the year.

And there was an update a week ago about a new app for the car "we charge", i was at hospital parking lot waiting mom come from her appointment so i had time to kill and look at the app.

when lacunhing the app, it asks permissions for the data, and then it'll show the closest chargers:

The chargers are shown with amount of power they can give, and how many stalls they have (even how many are free), and there is a button to start a route to the charger.

On the settings of the page i can chage it to show all or chargers with specific amount of power:

The update also put the "free chargers nearby" button to the maps, which when used would route me to nearest free charger.

Edit 1. The annual road tax appeared to my netbank, so i paid that :D
1632675254830.png

A whole 179,21 eur for the year (with the "diesel" tax of 125,925eur).

Last edited:
I have date scheduled for some weird *clunk* sound when starting movement from standstill from back left (either suspension or brakes) but its only heard at either starting or slowing down to standstill. In the same time they will change the studdless winter tires on the car, so no more 20" for the year.

I forgot to update this.....

VW had my car for a week (last week in october) while they tried to find the source of the noice, i got a their car for a week which review can be found here, and for the on friday of the week i got a call from the service department.

They had inspected all brakes and found nothing, they inspected suspension on every wheel and found nothing, they had put lots of microphones in (and under the car i assume) to find the source, which they located to be in the drive shaft area,
So they had wiggled the shafts a little and ordered new bolts for the one they found to be "very slighly different feeling than the other", but the bolts would arrive from Germany after the weekend. So i had the rental for couple more days.

Next tuesday i got a call that i can pick up the car, so i went there and they explained that the driver side drivesharft was slighly different but not broken, so they had to order a new driveshaft and bolts for it (apprently one time use bolts for driveshafts) and the parts would arrive before christmas.

So couple days ago i got conformation that i have new service scheduled for 21st of december and i have another rental.

So far the sound did quiet much after the service, but the driveshaft is going to be replaced, so updates will happen at that time.

ps. this is second VAG car in a row that i have some driveshaft related problems D:

Another update,

a week ago i got a selection of error messages ranging from auto hold, to esp, to cameras, and car would not move, so i took my ch-r and went to work. I could have tried to wait the 15mins to maybe get the car moving, but the ch-r wasn't needed untill next morning (i had night shfit).

I have also passed 15k km.

see you on the next update!

So this happened again on tursday last week, again took the ch-r keys D:

Also, i have noticed that the GPS location based charging settings are broken.
Yes they charge immediately to 50% battery, and then hold that line untill the they satrt to charge again (with aircon even).

But the issue, at least in works charginpoints, is that the last bit the car charges really really slowly.
Like last week, it charged to 50% at 50km/h, but 2h before the time i have to leave it started the charging at 9km/h.
It jumped to 50km/h for couple minutes, but it always went back to 9km/h.
This makes it so that the car usually has 65% battery when i leave from work, instead of 80% like it should have.

And since i have access to BMS at work, i could see that the car only uses 8A on one phase from the chargingpoint.

I have now turned off that setting and have to see if the behaviour is gone.

Wonder what the battery temp is when it does that