Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

An maintenance update!
- 22102 km

Got the car out of the service for the drive shaft (had a loaner 58kW ID3 pro business with puny 107kW motor), and here is as follows!

- Drive shaft and tie rod for the right side has been replaced, no clocking sounds appeared anymore.
- They checked the recalls and there was one for aircon, so they checked it and noticed that the pipes were busted and the system had no gas, so they fixed the pipes and refilled with no more leaks.
This was weird since it made cold air in summer, so it m,ust have busted when the air got colder, idk.

Quoting @loose_unit "Did you buy a Tesla?"

i don't know anymore....

An update bore the end of the year!

so this week i went to work and tried to open the chargin port, with no luck: [video link]
https://viilaaja.1g.fi/kuvat/vw id3/december2021/VID_20211227_144159.mp4

As you can see the part that keeps the flap locked had frozen over, so i had to go to underground parking of the 24/7 hypermarket after work to let ot thaw.

The part that prevented the opening is the rotating part of the flap on the car side.

its the same kind of design that was on my A7 so it will prollycause issues in the long term.

And on the 29th i had this nice error message greeting me:

"Errors and information not available, drive carefully"

Which meant that i did not have speedo or any other system (apart from esp) showing on the dash or hud.

The part in the infotainment was the same, BUT i could use android auto! [video link]
https://viilaaja.1g.fi/kuvat/vw id3/december2021/VID_20211230_001432.mp4

so i used the tiny speedo in the android auto to see what speed i was doing in the ring roads that had lots of speedcameras! :D

And apparently the issue made the speedo slightly more inaccurate than what it was before (53 was 50 now its 55, and instead of 83, 87 is 80 and so forth).

Will keep you guys and gals posted, even if you don't want to!

Um....point of note, would this affect the odometer? because I think I have figured a way to sell a brand new ID.3 a couple of years down the line :p

Um....point of note, would this affect the odometer? because I think I have figured a way to sell a brand new ID.3 a couple of years down the line :p

i like your thinking, but sadly odometer works in the backround (engine control unit, abs unit etc). :D

Had the same issue on my eGolf last year. Some hot water followed by a good slap loosened it, but I don’t recommend this for the long term, as you can remove the top panel by accident (leaving you with an ugly looking but still unopening charge port)

A bit weird this is still a thing… chargeport design should differ from a fuel flap since you need to open/close it daily…

So i went to power wash the dirt and grime of the car on saturday after work and when i went to drive to work on sunday morning, well temperatures had dropped to -5c, and i was greeted with this nice amount of error messages (10 in total)!

video:

And drove to work without esp. cruise and regen! :D

(and was fine when i left work later in the day).

Also reserved time to apparently replace both front lights, since they started to gather moisture droplets inside the light:

Video:

the droplets dried when sun hit them, but i send question to service center and they apparently change them.

Also noticed that one of the plastic sideskirts have started to open up, but it started to do it on the only door i don't open very much.

left rear:

right rear:

Lesson: don't wash car.

Yeah, that moisture is a clear warranty issue.

My goodness Galantti - you sir have the patience of a saint. Hopefully they’ll get you fixed up and it’ll be smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesla would probably try to tell you that was "within spec" or some bullshit. I have massive issues with fogged up side cameras when it gets really cold and wet and they very clearly told me they wouldn't do shit about that: "just preheat the car at least half an hour in advance to setting off". bloody clowns.

edit: first sentence is slightly exaggerated, just to be clear. but still.

Last edited:
An update!

got the light replaced and new left side skirt in warranty replaced!
And the clicking sound is back intermittently.....

need to get some video of it recorded.... oh I do have an recording made in thursday:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIuVxF6b7c
anyways, today me and my mom went to do some sightseeing (and delivering flowers to cemetaries) on the east side of Finland and i had this idea of driving on different combos of the aircon/speed.

Well here is the results of 464km driven (with cruise):

- speed between 80 and 110km/h, country roads, motorway, no aircon = avg. consumption 14.6 kWh/100km (driven about 220km).
- speed between 80 and 100km/h, country roads, aircon = avg. consumption 16 kWh/100km (driven about 100km).
- speed between 120km/h, motorway, aircon = avg. consumption 23 kWh/100km (driven about 114km).

Bloody hell. Here in the US I would have made the dealer take it back under the Lemon Laws.

I thought that too since I have the same problem, but apparently it can happen from an impact from a stone or something?
I don't see it on my car (just a crack) but the dealer was sure it was from an external source....

I thought that too since I have the same problem, but apparently it can happen from an impact from a stone or something?
I don't see it on my car (just a crack) but the dealer was sure it was from an external source....
It sucks that they would use that excuse. I have a hard time believing that would actually happen that way. At least not based on our tests of how much punishment the "glass" of modern lights can take. But it's often pointless to fight a dealership.

Praise Diess, An Update!

So had the car for the week long "lets see to get the clicking sound taken away", and had them to do the 2.4 update with new 12V battery to the car as the paperwork suggested to be done.

took them exactly 7 days, since the update was fighting them :D

also they asked if they could do the 2 year service, which i replied yes, that included interior filters and brake fluids.
I gotta say, brakes feel a lot better (after 2 years, 25 laps at Kymiring, 4 laps at ahvenisto and 34k km).
summer tires still had 5.5mm of thread left all around, they realighed matrix lights, and notified me about the plastic cover being broken on the bottom of the car, need to set up the date for that, since its ordered part at 120eur, but they thought it wasn't madatory to replace.

They took out the drive axle, added some goop tm, new bushings, did 4 wheel alignment and resetted all helping systems.

another update, another tire change!

.... and apparently campaiqn to add some tape to some wiring, so had them also clean the car outside and inside.

As a rental, i got there earlier than they expected so Europcar service person was thinking of what car to give me when i shit you not:

"you drive and ev?"
"yes"
"oh then i don't have a problem" *gives keys* "here are keys to id5"
"okay thx"

Another update! Literally!

yeah, at last service they told me that some cars had issues installing the 3.2 update via ota, so they'd install it at themselves.
So that was on monday and while they were at it, they did warranty checks on the battery modules and told me that if they find ones needed to be replaced, it would take some time.

So i had scheduled 2 days for it like last time, and got myself a rental that was free from europcar, which turned out to be Skoda Enyaq iV.

But after 8 hours i got a message that my car was ready, so i went back and got my car.
They also found a batterymodule that needed to be replaced, and replaced it, even the service tech was supriced about that.

So it was 3.1 and needed 2 ota updates while i drove back to home, but i got the 3.2 update with FINALLY percentage reading on the instrument cluster while driving.
It also added the dedicated settings per driver, but that needed a time to sort itself with the server connection.

will continue my madness untill further notice.

Last edited:
srsly percentage readings were not implemented until NOW?
I had this exact same remark when driving my eGolf 5 years (!!) ago.
VW and software don't really mix it seems

srsly percentage readings were not implemented until NOW?
I had this exact same remark when driving my eGolf 5 years (!!) ago.
VW and software don't really mix it seems

Like many other ICE car brands, their software was great before electric cars. Suddenly electric cars are these magical things where they have complicated software that is never finished.

I had no idea physical buttons didn’t work with electric cars, hence why everything’s buried in a menu structure for example.