My Lada 2107 Racecar Project

Nope.. :) Thats the main point, to be a lada from the outside, but have the potential to be much much better than exepted. Thats why I started to develop a new suspension as well (completly custom) :) I have some plans for the outside as well, but thats less important than the suspension engine etc.

Possibly a bad joke but...have you also thought abouth changing the body of your car? You know, so it doesn't look like a Lada :)
(I'm sorry, it's just that I've seen way too many Lada's in my life, and I've had enough of them)

WTF?! Ladas are legendary!

I mean, you wouldn't swap the body off a Countach, why would you do so on another classic car?!

How well do you think the fiat ritmo engine/gearbox will fit into the lada, I mean it's FWD, isn't it. The most obvious swap is the gearbox/engine from the 131, which is RWD. Though Im sure you'll find a way to make it fit :)

It fits in just nicely. Btw I remembered wrong its not from a 130 tc its from a 131 you are right! If it would be from an fwd there will be two problems, Distributor will be in my firewall... :) And the oil pan. My oilpan needs a little modification as well, but not as much as that.

It fits in just nicely. Btw I remembered wrong its not from a 130 tc its from a 131 you are right! If it would be from an fwd there will be two problems, Distributor will be in my firewall... :) And the oil pan. My oilpan needs a little modification as well, but not as much as that.

Borat-VeryNice.jpg

Nice to see that you are going on as well :thumbsup: Cant wait to see it finished ;)

Wow I missed some cool updates. Dude that is absolutely awesome keep up the great work!

Lada/Fiat in New Zealand

Lada/Fiat in New Zealand

Hi there I have been following your build for some time and was wondering when you would go the Fiat twin road. Just this weekend I have put a 131 2l into my 2107. Totally re-coed including new borgo 9.8 pistons am using the standard weber ADF 34 to run it in before putting on my dellorto 40s.
I wonder which is an easier conversion RHD or LHD? I went hydraulic clutch rather than the cable. Can't wait to see what suspension modes you come up with. Keep up the great work
Evan

Hey there!

Thank you very much! Lada on New Zealand?? Wow :)

Im going to use a lada transmission built to specs (ratios), so the clutch will stay hidraulic. You have the advantage that your brake cylinder is on the right side, well mine is obviously on the left side, so we will need to relocate it becouse of the horisontal carbs... I could use the one carb setup, but meh.. :) I love the sound of my carbs and 40% of the cars "feeling" is about the sound :) So we still need to figure that out. I thing we are going to use a brake cylinder of a BMW 7-th series (e32), its smaller in size, but the brake "piston" (?) is bigger, so we can loosten the brake booster as well. I will keep my 60mm (~2.5 inch) exhaust with racing 4-1 downpipe(or whats it called?). Zola wants a better engine than mine (as always.. :) ) so he is getting bigger valves, fully opened head, ~280-290? cams... So its going to be quite hardcore :) Around 160-170 hp. I think he is going to need 45 webers, the 40 dello will be to small. Well time will tell us. For me the dellos will be just well, but will need to change the emulsion tubes and main jet (if my calculations are correct of course..)

I'l try to show the suspension mods, but I only have some sketches around on paper with only few distances/diameters, etc, but I will throw up an Autocad on the computer, and will start to draw it properly. I used to learn autocad, well we will see how much I remember.. :) Also I have a lot of measuring/calculation before its done. Well I hope for the best :)

What do you use your car on? Rally events / track racing etc? Pics maybe? :)

Thanks for writing!
Cheers

How much did you pay for the 40 dellortos, if you dont mind me asking? I could do with a set when I buy my first car maybe 3 months from now, they are just too damn expensive here, as are Ladas infact.

Btw, do you have any pics of the interior yet?

Around 150-200 in usd. PLus emulsion tubes, jets etc so Complete its around ~ 300-350 in usd. No pics yet, Im working all night long for a week now, kind of stressed :( Later, maybe on the weekend?

Around 150-200 in usd. PLus emulsion tubes, jets etc so Complete its around ~ 300-350 in usd. No pics yet, Im working all night long for a week now, kind of stressed :( Later, maybe on the weekend?

Sure, take your time. 150-200 usd sounds dirt cheap. Here you would be paying 350+ ? for a decent set.

Kiwi Lada

Kiwi Lada

Hi here is my wolf in sheep's clothing. In New Zealand the Lada was always looked down on but now it is getting a bit more street cred thanks to its retro looks. I was going to put on my dellortos -but unfortunately I have to get a pair of replacement idle screws from Italy
a-1003.jpg

Last edited:
Hi here is my wolf in sheep's clothing. In New Zealand the Lada was always looked down on but now it is getting a bit more street cred thanks to its retro looks. I was going to put on my dellortos -but unfortunately I have to get a pair of replacement idle screws from Italy
a-1003.jpg

Mwhahahah! Great job on the hammer-and-sickle front badge.

clutch

clutch

Are you using the 215mm fiat clutch or the smaller lada. I ended up using the fiat and adapting it to use with a lada slave (yes it is upside down-but takes about 5min to remove and bleed-on a RHD) the end result is a very smooth action. I am using the standard box but all three of mine have noisy input shaft bearings I was wondering if you would have a reference number for a higher quality replacement from skf etc cheers Evan
clutch-arm-5-1004.jpg

Posmo: If those are true racing dellortos they are worth it! Here you can only find the factroy emission carbs witch are much worse :( . I have emission carb as well... Not to many difference btw, but it IS better, and it is designed for racing use :)

gldfshbob: Wow, love the argenta (if im correct?) Steelies :) True sleeper :)

Im using the lada flywheel (not factory, machined 4.75 kg) with sachs clutch works perfectly even when Im kicking the clutch 10 times in a lap :D . And most of the guys who use fiat engines use the same setup. Well I know of 1 person who doesnt, but his engine is above 200 hp...

Yeah dellos are quite sensitive on the idle screws and to many idiots screw it in to hard, and than its worth sh*t.

BTW Im using lada tranny cos its dirt cheap, and they make custom trannys for lada's cheaper than into fiat boxes. And if I remember well you have to cut the drive shaft between the transmission and the dif. So I didnt like the concept :D

Yeah my bearings are noisy as well, but because I do not use it on the streets, it doesnt bother me :) . Didnt have any prob with it. Il try to look up numbers for you!

Also just a few thoughts:

I was considering Im going to buy a new pedal box (as mentioned, the brake cylinder wount fit with the new engine + carbs), and I was, damn tiltons pedal boxes look lovely:

3ped.jpg

So I went on the internet, and found this ( :mrgreen: )
Ebay

US $467.95 ? ?

And thats without cylinders! So I thought I should build something like this, draw it in cad, get it cut out (laser or water), bend it to shape and its done. So this is one more project on the list... :)

Thats all, just writing thoughts.

dhla's

dhla's

I have the emmision carbs too DHLA 40H I was wondering what you had figured out regarding jetting etc at the moment I have
34 chokes
155 mains
11 emulsions
210 Air correct
60 Idles
40 pump jets
150 needle valves
#3 Aux venturis

any opinions would be appreciated as since I have to get the Idle screws I may as well get jets etc at the same time.

The wheels I think do come on Argentas but mine are off a 131R. I have 2 full sets- one will be for track days. The last set I got for $50usd from a local wrecker(with brand new dunlop 185/60s) he was saving them to make a tandem car trailer thinking they were 100x4 but when I pointed out they were 98x4 he just wanted to get rid of them.
Its strange that when you change from a lada to a fiat engine in RHD you get lots of space (ie steering- inlet- brakes and exhaust ) around the engine and it seems the opposite for you

^Yeah, everything is oposit :D

Well here is what I calculated for the Fiat engine:

35-36 chokes
145-155 main jet
.5or .6 emulsion
180 air
~60 idles
38-40 pump jet

.11 is waay to lean! If you dont have a wide band Lambda monitor, you should check your spark plugs:

black: to rich
cikk77_musz_gyerty_szen.jpg

white: to lean
cikk77_musz_gyerty_tul_meleg.jpg

brown-ish: perfect
cikk77_musz_gyerty_normalis.jpg

Not the perfect way of tuning of course... But if you cant get a wide band, than this is the way to go. I'v set up mine like this and it works just fine. Also if the water temperatures are higher than normaly, it can also mean that you are running lean! I had boiled my engine once, becouse my fuelpump wasnt supplying enough petrol :( So watch out for that!

Btw, only buy the emulsion from italy (or wherever), the main jets, air correction jets, and pump jets can be made at your local "turner"/machine shop (or whats it called?)! And its much much cheaper.

Hehe. 4x100 and 4x98 can be changed unpunishedly... All of my rims are 4x100... :) Only problem I always have that the ladas rims inside is 58mm, and most of the rims I have where 56-57... So they needed some adjustments :)

dhlas

dhlas

cool for that I had always been told that you should always use 9,10,11 emulsion tubes with the emission carbs -but will definitely score a set of 5's to try and a few set of jets. The new jets only cost $3 usd from Italy as opposed to $10usd locally so that is the cheapest way for me to go. I will be using a colortune to set up the sidies. Re the wheels I definitely benefited from someone else's laziness in that situation.