My Mini Restoration Project

cookie720

Car(s)
1974 Leyland Mini, 1963 Morris Mini
Hello all, I recently bought a mini off a guy way north of where I live in Adelaide, South Australia. We picked it up by trailor. Ill be restoring it throughout the Christmas holidays.
Some plans are fixing up the rust, panels, brakes, needs a muffler, reconditioning the engine, full respray. My dad will be helping me along the way with welding and brakes. I turn 16 in 15 days so i think it will be a wicked first car when its done!
Here some pics to start off with, I will be posting stuff along the way. Hope you like.

This the car when it first came
http://img244.imageshack.**/img244/9379/dsc07328vw9.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/6990/dsc07325yw9.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.**/img224/1279/dsc07329rv2.jpg

Now it looks like this, I took everything out the car except the dashboard and roof lining.
http://img134.imageshack.**/img134/2104/dsc07354nv1.jpg

:thumbsup: i wouldn't have mind owning that as a first car

mini's are great cars, I'm not so keen on the frontend style of your one, preffer the round look. But yeah awersome first cars, expect to wear out a lot of handbrake cables ;)

Awesome!

The original Mini is easily the greatest car of all time!

great! i'd love to have one myself as a first car. :)

Round nose minis are hard to find and are expensive, they also only have the 998 engine unless you stick another one in. I think mine has the 1100 I don't know how to check my VIN plate says MINI 021 D23M10/2828 11-74/48 Does anyone know what it is?

My dad fixed the rust on the back of the car today. Ill post up pics of all the rust fixed when its all fixed, theres still rust in the boot, boot lid, fenders, right floor panel and A panels.

Wicked car.;) What a great time to buy one too, just before your 16th birthday.:D I just turned 16 and haven't even though about buying a car:( . Great find. Mini's are hard to find in Australia, especially here in Adelaide.

I have a couple of questions for you Cookie:
-How much would you sell the blue car in the fourth pic?:p
-What colour you going to paint it? vinyls?
-How did you find/buy it? (trading post, ad??)

Sweet car! :thumbup:

I wonder if you could fit a VW GTi grill/headlight assembly on the front of it.

You need to cram a V6 in it. :lol:

Being a mini fan and owning one, i can only say: best of luck with the restoration, you won't regret it!

The blue car isn't for sale , its the van that pulled the Mini to my house :)
I'm painting it British Racing Green with no vinyls....(maybe white stripes down the bonnet:p )
I found it on Ebay and waited 5 days till it was the last day. I bid for it. The next morning at school I checked Ebay and I won!!

Tomcat:why change to Golf when my grill and lights are perfect condition and original??

Viper007Bond: Nah why a V6....Id go a rover V8 :mrgreen:

mini's are great cars, I'm not so keen on the frontend style of your one, preffer the round look. But yeah awersome first cars, expect to wear out a lot of handbrake cables ;)

na... the Mini Clubman (I think that's what its called) is alot cooler than the Cooper... looks more sporty IMO.

But Cookie, awesome car mate :D

Last edited:
What do you mean, Mini Cooper S (the old one) are the sportiest, best looking Minis. The new ones from BMW suck. I like old school cars anyway.

There wasn't a old Mini Cooper S... I'm saying your mini clubman looks more sportier than the normal mini cooper

This car is just.... cool. The original minis really were something special.

oh man I'm so envious, its too expensive to have/work on one here in the states for me. If i wasnt gonna keep it stock and put some craziness in it I totally would drop a vtec in there
Mini011.JPG

a mini that hits 60 in 5 seconds? yes please.

Last edited:
Tomcat:why change to Golf when my grill and lights are perfect condition and original??

Just to mix it up a bit. From the rear your car looks like any classic rounded Mini, but from the front, with it's squared off nose, it looks like the hot-hatches of the 80's. I just think it would look cool with a blacked out grill and twin headlights, GTi style, since the GTi was THE hot hatch.