Ownership Verified: My MK I MR-2 (AW11). The Night Rider.

Alright, I'm back. I haven't worked on the car for a few months since uni got crazy busy (was my final year).

Anyway here's some recent progress. Note: I got out of the habit of taking a lot of pics etc. so if you feel like some are missing or things aren't shown clearly, that's why.

So, I the first thing I did was install the oil sump. This involved installing the windage tray, oil pickup and sump.

Engine up in the air:
IMG_3521_zpsulwkril0.jpg

IMG_3522_zpsd5kkwtu1.jpg

Cleaning up all the old sealant:
IMG_3523_zpsdwv134kl.jpg

Making the oil pickup gasket:
IMG_3525_zpscaspreur.jpg

RTV applied to windage tray
IMG_3527_zpslp1l0k9l.jpg

At this point I installed the windage tray and bolted it into place using the oil sump bolts. I let it sit for about 10 minutes so that it would get tacky and hold onto the windage tray while I installed the oil sump. The bolts for the oil sump and windage tray are the same.

I also installed the oil pickup tube at this time and torqued it to spec.
IMG_3528_zpsco8vjhmf.jpg

Oil pan being torqued:
IMG_3529_zpsrc2tetbd.jpg

Done:
IMG_3530_zpslwdxfvqk.jpg

I also remembered that I had not clocked the distributor and installed it properly. So that was the next task. Engine was turned to TDC position. The distributor shaft was clocked as shown in the pic below: (Note the two dimples highlighted by the red dots).
IMG_3531_zpsc8xajlx1.jpg

The distributor was then installed, it went in without trouble. Once the engine is in and running (I really hope it runs), then I'll time it using a strobe light timer.

Once this was done I was just having a look at the engine bay for no real reason. I noticed that the engine bay air fan was pretty dirty, as well as the coolant hoses/oil cooler. No better time to clean it than now.

This is the engine bay air fan. It automatically switches on only when the air temperature in the bay gets above a certain level:
IMG_3546_zpsmywpjhag.jpg

Disassembly:
IMG_3549_zpsqjjwuh4i.jpg

Notice the dust or whatever, inside the stator (Yes the fan was working):
IMG_3547_zps9emgbu7w.jpg

Rotor also dirty:
IMG_3551_zpsamn5m4mj.jpg

Cleaned up rotor:
IMG_3552_zpsubogityj.jpg

Stator cleaned up:
IMG_3553_zpszwtf2yjp.jpg

Cleaned up housing:
IMG_3554_zps6guwdmu4.jpg

Put back together:
IMG_3555_zpsdrbgyxfk.jpg

Re-installed:
IMG_3559_zpsale1apl5.jpg

This project has started to really take much longer than anticipated, mostly due to uni being so busy this year. Anyway I need to get the car back together so that I can enjoy it during summer. If I get it back together and it doesn't run...

So I decided it was time to get the transmission and engine mounted. Before I could do this the clutch had to be installed. You might remember seeing my brand new Exedy clutch kit in one of the above posts. It had been sitting in my room for the last few months. When I went to installed it the clutch alignment tool wouldn't fit into the clutch disc it was way too large. Kind of annoying since I had to wait another day for the shop to re-order the correct tool. But I don't think it was their fault (supplier sent wrong one most likely). Either way I'm glad they sorted it out so quickly and easily.

Once the new tool arrived I got to work.

Here is the flywheel after grinding (As you can see its from a blacktop 4AGE so its lighter than the original but still factory like usability):
IMG_3520_zps2ylkeulj.jpg

Bolting it to engine and torquing (Note: All new flywheel bolts from Toyota, were pretty expensive but its highly recommended to use new bolts for this):
IMG_3536_zpsm6fig9ok.jpg

At this point I thoroughly cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate mating surfaces with wax and grease remover. I did this until no residue appeared on the cloth.
I then fit the pressure plate over the clutch and used the new pressure plate bolts to lightly hold everything in position. This allowed me to make sure the clutch was centered:
IMG_3569_zpsneuif0qo.jpg

After confirming the clutch was centered I started to tighten each of the six pressure plate bolts as evenly as possible to avoid warping of the pressure plate. After this the bolts were torqued to spec:
IMG_3570_zpsgmerdomv.jpg

IMG_3571_zps3tzmy5bj.jpg

Cleaning up the transmission input shaft and clutch fork pivot ball:
IMG_3572_zpsuorfehvp.jpg

I then lightly greased the input shaft splines and the pivot ball. Its important to only lightly grease these; excess grease can fling off onto the clutch disc and cause slipping (or so I'm told).

Clutch fork and release bearing installed:
IMG_3575_zpsdgekpfnc.jpg

Finally mounting the transmission. I know it looks like its hanging from the input shaft but don't worry I wouldn't do that. It's resting on the diff part of the transmission which is hard to see from the pic:
IMG_3576_zpssmzoaww2.jpg

Done:
IMG_3577_zpsprbigujx.jpg

I also cleaned up the engine bay a bit more:
IMG_3579_zps28eguvfh.jpg

IMG_3580_zpstewhflt3.jpg

That's it for now, it feels nice to be working on the car again. Sorry for the shitty pics though, lol.

The pics are certainly great and plentiful, it's again nice to see the project moving!

The pics are certainly great and plentiful, it's again nice to see the project moving!

Thanks! Appreciate it. Yeah I really want to get it done soon, it's been too long since I've driven it.

Damn, so nice! Great work!

Thank you =)

A little more progress.

One of the more difficult parts of working on the MR-2 is engine removal and installation, due to the engine being in the middle. Apparently it's possible to fit the engine from the top using a crane, however, its really tight and the chances of scratching or denting something are pretty high.
So the only other option is to position the engine from the bottom then lift it up to the mounts using a crane. This is what I did.

Jacking the car up. This had to be done in stages because as you can see the rear has to be lifted quite high and I only have basic tools. I had to jack the car up as high as possible, rest it on axle stands, place wood blocks under the jack and repeat.
IMG_3593_zpswmoddpx6.jpg

Another angle:
IMG_3596_zpsymmuwp3u.jpg

Final height required to slide engine in:
IMG_3595_zpsj6cph6mw.jpg

Engine ready to go in:
IMG_3599_zpscabzktdc.jpg

Uhh.. yeah this was pretty ghetto, I used an old garden hose as a rope to pull the engine into position haha. I couldn't find any real rope and don't have a sliding trolley.
IMG_3600_zps5n0jfqur.jpg

For anyone trying this method: You must position the engine as far forward as possible (closest to firewall as possible), this is because when you lower the car it slowly rolls forward (opposite to when you were jacking it up). If you place the engine in the middle of the engine bay, the car will hit the engine before it is fully lowered. I learnt this when I was removing the engine. No issues this time around:
IMG_3601_zpsvzbc9n63.jpg

Time to lower:
IMG_3602_zpsjdf1s7zg.jpg

Safely back on the ground:
IMG_3603_zpswozyd4wi.jpg

IMG_3604_zpssnjc0j2d.jpg

Unfortunately I now have to wait till I can find a rear transmission mount. I didn't realize the auto one was different to the manual : / Its pretty annoying since I wanted to get stuff mounted.

Anyway that's it for now.

So I've been checking most of the junk yards/parts places but no luck. The closest I got was an automatic AW11 but I needed a manual mount =/

I even walked though a mini swamp to get to that AW11:
IMG_3608_zpsooyhafs7.jpg

Rather then waiting around for someone to wreck an AW I decided to just buy one from overseas. Of course shipping would take a while but I had to do something.

Anyway while waiting for it to arrive I got on with other work which could be done without the mount.

Firstly I made a gasket for the intake adapter:
IMG_3618_zpsntxr0kjp.jpg

IMG_3620_zpstnxml0ot.jpg

After this I started on the wiring. While I am retaining the original wiring harness, I didn't want it to sit on top of the ITB's. I also had to substitute the 16v TPS plug for a silvertop plug.
Here is the harness after it was removed from the car:
IMG_2814_zpswuo4vdml.jpg

First step was to remove all the old plastic harness protectors and insulation tape:
IMG_2816_zpsqcwydk8x.jpg

IMG_2819_zpsojlwml7a.jpg

Once all the wires were exposed I could manipulate the wires to make them fit the new layout better. I test fitted the harness to get an idea of how to route the wires:
IMG_3640_zpsufxucpmq.jpg

IMG_3645_zpsmwqzh3fq.jpg

Once I had the layout sorted I used electrical tape to create branches in the wiring harness so that it could be organized better. This allowed me to fine tune the routing/see if it would work:
IMG_3647_zpsqjnmrgos.jpg

Since I am using the automatic harness I had to modify the reverse light switch wiring. These are the connectors which originally plugged into the autobox:
IMG_3650_zps6pknmour.jpg

I used some references/pics I found on the internet to help me modify the wiring.

Some wires also had to be lengthened:
DSC_0159_zpszbi3js7m.jpg

Here's the harness after being completed and re-wrapped and covered with harness protectors:
IMG_3690_zpsf1rtecbq.jpg

Next I needed to create a bracket to hold the vacuum manifold. I also wanted to hide this out of sight.
cardboard template is really useful, this is the finished shape:
IMG_3661_zpswmeiipbd.jpg

Transferred to metal and cut out:
IMG_3663_zpsctu2ljct.jpg

Mounting holes drilled and in the vice for bending (I don't have a proper bender):
IMG_3664_zpsh6ehscc4.jpg

IMG_3665_zpsdyrpy7um.jpg

IMG_3666_zpsacodxm2u.jpg

With the vac manifold attached to it:
IMG_3668_zpsvserz2vf.jpg

Primered and painted:
IMG_3669_zpsnflxeib9.jpg

How it looks fitted to the engine:
IMG_3670_zpswbncfarm.jpg

Using a similar method I made a bracket to support the wiring harness:
IMG_3675_zps3xeq89wr.jpg

Because the injector wires will be passing very close by the throttle linkages there is a chance the wires could get caught and cause dangerous situations. So I made a piece to prevent this:
IMG_3688_zpsmsa2avsw.jpg

The wires will pass though the gap between the metal plate and the intake adapter:
IMG_3689_zpsuvdxhpvx.jpg

Anyway by the time I finished all this (today) my transmission mount arrived!
IMG_3709_zpsktfc8dlx.jpg

I'm sorry to say I didn't really take any pictures mounting the engine or installing the many misc. items (such as water hoses, brackets etc.) I was too busy working and trying to get things done.

But anyway here it is installed:
IMG_3718_zps7qi5kvmd.jpg

IMG_3720_zpsolcc8ba7.jpg

Still have a whole lot of small jobs to do but I'm really glad its finally in and mounted.

i'm jealous of your bending skills! :eek:
that's some nice bending for a only using a vise

:thumbsup:

Been awesome following this thread, keep up the good work!

Thanks! Lets see if it will run...

Wow, this is just fantastic! Keep up the great work :)

Thank you =)

i'm jealous of your bending skills! :eek:
that's some nice bending for a only using a vise

Haha, it was probably luck more than anything else. Thanks though. I was more amazed that the holes lined up perfectly, I did mark them out but still, lol.

Great work. I'm trying to remember how my ITB vacum block setup was, 4 goes to intakes, one to fpr and last one to iac? Mine ITB set up was JDM after market, not Toyota quality.

Great work. I'm trying to remember how my ITB vacum block setup was, 4 goes to intakes, one to fpr and last one to iac? Mine ITB set up was JDM after market, not Toyota quality.

Thanks.

Yes four of the barbs go to each one of the four ITBs (vacuum source), one goes to the fuel pressure regulator, one goes to the ECU (in my case the stock MAP sensor which is fitted to JDM 4AGE's). Of course the big one goes to the brake booster vac line.

I think my charcoal canister actually also needs a vacuum source, I'm not 100% sure if it is necessary at this point. If it is then I will just add a T connector to one of the other vacuum lines.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes four of the barbs go to each one of the four ITBs (vacuum source), one goes to the fuel pressure regulator, one goes to the ECU (in my case the stock MAP sensor which is fitted to JDM 4AGE's). Of course the big one goes to the brake booster vac line.

I think my charcoal canister actually also needs a vacuum source, I'm not 100% sure if it is necessary at this point. If it is then I will just add a T connector to one of the other vacuum lines.

Oh yes, ECU needed one, Mega needed suppressor to calm the vacuum changes. I threw charcoal can into bin. Are you going to use original airbox setup (do you need MAP/MAF?) or go for foam filter and oh so lovely noise?

Last edited:
Oh yes, ECU needed one, Mega needed suppressor to calm the vacuum changes. I threw charcoal can into bin. Are you going to use original airbox setup (do you need MAP/MAF?) or go for foam filter and oh so lovely noise?

Haha, I didn't go to all the trouble of this ITB swap to just put on an air box. Open ITBs for me!

ECU needs MAP sensor for engine load calculations. No MAF.

So what's been going on? A lot of trouble shooting.. I'll get to later though.

Firstly I installed all the vacuum lines, using thread seal on the barbs to prevent any kind of vacuum leaks:
IMG_3724_zpswoxzn51r.jpg

I don't have pics unfortunately but the four ports on the intake runners go directly to the vacuum manifold (providing the vacuum source).
The remaining two ports on the vacuum manifold get connected to the fuel pressure regulator and to the ECU MAP sensor. Really simple.

Installed the injectors and fuel rail:
IMG_3756_zps6daeapa8.jpg

Installed stock ECU (Trans control module also connected):
IMG_3754_zpsyro4gr84.jpg

At this point I couldn't help but test start the car. So I put in some new engine oil, some new transmission oil and connected the battery... no sparks, no heat, no fire, good so far..
Then I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the 2nd position.. dash lights came up as usual.. turn to cranking position and absolutely nothing :(

So the trouble shooting began, I checked the following:
- All ground wires were fine; the engine, transmission and chassis were grounded. I checked this with a multi meter (probe on battery "+" and other probe on engine, then chassis, then transmission. By doing this I got +12V at all these points).

- Fusible link was fine. I was getting +12V at starter motor cable all the time and also at the alternator. Also my headlights and indicators work fine.

- Starter motor was fine. I checked this by connecting it to the battery and the solenoid pushes the gear out, the motor also seems to spin fine.

- Starting relay was fine. I checked by providing +12V across the coil terminals and I can hear it click. I also checked the relay coil continuity with a multi meter.

Here are some pics of me testing all these things:
IMG_3732_zpsak9rxzac.jpg

0V at the starter solenoid connector normally EXCEPT when I manually actuate the starting relay and then it shows +12V. NOTE: It's hard to see but one probe is on battery "-" and other probe is in the starter solenoid connector:
IMG_3729_zpsahyuwz1j.jpg

This is how I manually activated the starter relay (obviously I had to remove the relay cover to do this):
IMG_3730_zpsqu6l4uzi.jpg

So! This only left the Neutral Safety Switch wiring. I suppose I messed it up because the online picture I found to help me had different wire colors.

So I was left with no option but to cut into wire harness again and find out if it was indeed the neutral safety switch causing the no start issue.
Glad to say that after I had exposed the wires they were the culprit.

I re-soldered them properly and went for another test start.. this time it actually started! Was so glad.

At this point I was really happy and continued to install a few more things like the alternator, waterpump/alternator belt etc.

I then went to fill up the cooling system with water.. this is where the 2nd problem occurred. As soon as the water level got above the water pump, water started to leak out of the top water neck (on the front of the engine. This was really disappointing because it meant I had to remove the ITB's to get access to the small metal water pipe (where the leak was occurring).

Removing the fuel rail:
IMG_3759%201_zps6cxoppbc.jpg

Removing the ITB's:
IMG_3761%201_zpsmc3sqhh4.jpg

No wonder it was leaking.. funny since I remembered to replace almost all the other seals and O-rings apart from this one of course.
IMG_3773_zps3e7xmjdi.jpg

New one fitted:
IMG_3774_zpsrygalwmd.jpg

Finally after refitting everything back on and filling up the system with water, everything seemed to be fine. No more leaks. I bled the coolant system as much as possible without starting the engine.
At this point I started the engine and bled as much of the air out as I could. (Yes I used the Toyota manual method).

This was the first time I had the engine running for more than a few seconds. I noticed that it was running super rich. Unfortunately I think this is just due to the stock ECU fuel map being way off for an ITB setup. This is why I bought the Apexi Power FC ( I still wanted to try the stock ECU though).

Here are the spark plugs after about 30mins of running!
IMG_3791_zpsjcr103rv.jpg

That's about it for now. My next task is to test the Apexi Power FC and then get it tuned. Luckily its plug and play for the 4AGE 16V (would be too much of a nightmare re-wiring again).

I'll just leave a few pics of how it sits at the moment. Was so nice getting it out of the garage and washing it:
DSC_0187_zpsldezva7r.jpg

DSC_0185_zpsvapx53jz.jpg

DSC_0189_zpsmmpmt4eg.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see progress, and it's always so enjoyable to look pictures of clean engines and engine bays. :)