Unverified Ownership My Model 3 LR AWD

Neuss? That's where I picked up mine in April '19, they refused to ship it to Frankfurt for some inane reason. Had a similar experience, the taxi driver even re-checked several times that this is actually where I want to go :p
Clearly, rail or even truck delivery is simply impossible... Surely, other brands can have cars delivered to the country's financial sector.

Clearly, rail or even truck delivery is simply impossible... Surely, other brands can have cars delivered to the country's financial sector.
There's even a full blown Tesla service center here, with a delivery lot and all, and even better - my boss' Model 3 that was ordered on the same day as mine has been delivered here. Tesla shenaningans.

Yeah, touchless delivery is what they say. And in my case there should be no need for any extra instructions because I should know how Teslas work.
Have you driven a 3 before? There are some subtle differences to the S, esp. concerning the missing separate CC/Autopilot stalk. But overall yeah, it shouldn't take a lot of explaining to get you out the door :p

Make sure to inspect the car thoroughly and note any issues that may need fixing right off the bat, and refuse delivery if there is anything major. Most cars seem to be perfectly adequate at delivery these days, but every once in a while reports of some real gems show up in the forums and on reddit, so it's probably best to make sure...

Have you driven a 3 before? There are some subtle differences to the S, esp. concerning the missing separate CC/Autopilot stalk. But overall yeah, it shouldn't take a lot of explaining to get you out the door :p

Make sure to inspect the car thoroughly and note any issues that may need fixing right off the bat, and refuse delivery if there is anything major. Most cars seem to be perfectly adequate at delivery these days, but every once in a while reports of some real gems show up in the forums and on reddit, so it's probably best to make sure...
No I haven't, just sat in one few times at the Service Center while S was getting repaired. But yeah, I think I'll get a hang of things while the 350 km trip home.

Yeah I'll try to spot any odd stuff. Panel gaps, what else? :D

edit: found a list: https://zihichecklists.com/checklists/checklist/158 Quite comprehensive list for a new car :LOL:

It is here!

35Wmr4Q.jpg

ABvBvDj.jpg

QRwUW9A.jpg

No panel gap issues found yet. Noise on highway is clearly louder than in Audi, but that was to be expected. Not the most silent car in the world by any means, but not the worst either. Premium connectivity was not too trustworthy, it dropped out multiple times. I rebooted but it didn't really seem to help long term. Not a feature I'm willing to pay for after the 12 month complementary period, I'll set up a wifi network inside the car.

Speeeeed is nice, the tires are the limiting factor now, but pulls nicely to the backrest when flooring. Cannot really trust the Autopilot just yet, but nice gimmick that is. Two phantom brakings yesterday.

I currently don't have any home charging. It is not something I would recommend to anyone considering their first EV, because this happens quite easily especially after cold nights and emptyish battery.

vZK1kV8.jpg

With SR+ I would have needed to charge at the trip to home due to the cold weather, so no regrets in getting LR. 411 km on the odometer now.

Got to a public charger though with no problems, cheaper than home charging would be (1st hour for free, 10 cnt/kWh after that).

It is here!
Nice! Congrats :)
Not a feature I'm willing to pay for after the 12 month complementary period, I'll set up a wifi network inside the car.
Ah yeah... they thought of that, though. All the nice features (I'm not too sure which ones apart from live traffic and the streaming stuff maybe) will get turned off in software though. It's not the SIM card you're paying for, it's the features :| Bit annoying...
Cannot really trust the Autopilot just yet,
That'll come, with time. I probably do 95+% of my highway driving on AP nowadays... and I only really disengage when lane change is too chicken :D
It is not something I would recommend to anyone considering their first EV, because this happens quite easily especially after cold nights and emptyish battery.
If all else fails, you can always just run a (proper!) extension cord with schuko? :dunno: But yeah, this is also something to get used to. At first you start out making strange mental calculations all the time, that goes away at some point and certain things (like not parking the car below 30% SOC when it's below freezing) start coming naturally. As a renter without any possibility of home charging, I know how privileged I am in having free charging at work and free charging at the supermarket (and nobody caring how long I stay) that is 5 min walk from home.
Ah yes - best thing to alleviate any issues here: ABC - always be charging. If you have the chance, take it, even if you're at 60% SOC or something and you don't technically need to charge.

... third edit in as many minutes: don't keep your charging limit at 100%. In daily charging, try to keep it below 90% to preserve battery health and only charge above 90% if you really need it (and make sure to start driving as soon as possible, ideally straight from the charger). ... driving is annoying above 90% SOC anyway, because you barely have any regen left for one-pedal-driving.

Last edited:
Go #Teamblue!

The new changes look great, especially the satin finish on the centre console (it's easy for me to forget it used to be piano black as mine has the brushed metal vinyl that looks very similar to the new finish) and on the door buttons with proper labels. Little things that show they are listening to people.

See how you get on with the premium connectivity, signal is bound to be different for you compared to those of us living in cities or more urban areas but I really like the live traffic and Spotify streaming. If you can live without those then yeah, not worth it.

I don't have home charging still, there isn't even a charger nearby so when I'm occasionally visiting work I'm charging in a car park nearby that offers free 7kW charging, 6 hours is the sweet spot for the actual parking charge. I've been averaging 20% usage on a round trip to and from work including warm up, it's a little scary but I can work with it at the moment. I find that pre-heating is essential to get good regen in the mornings and of course ensure the screen is clear. I've considered putting a generator in my garage a couple of times or commissioning a 15kW battery pack on wheels that I can charge in the house and then wheel to the car at night.

Nice! Congrats :)

Ah yeah... they thought of that, though. All the nice features (I'm not too sure which ones apart from live traffic and the streaming stuff maybe) will get turned off in software though. It's not the SIM card you're paying for, it's the features :| Bit annoying...

That'll come, with time. I probably do 95+% of my highway driving on AP nowadays... and I only really disengage when lane change is too chicken :D

If all else fails, you can always just run a (proper!) extension cord with schuko? :dunno: But yeah, this is also something to get used to. At first you start out making strange mental calculations all the time, that goes away at some point and certain things (like not parking the car below 30% SOC when it's below freezing) start coming naturally. As a renter without any possibility of home charging, I know how privileged I am in having free charging at work and free charging at the supermarket (and nobody caring how long I stay) that is 5 min walk from home.
Ah yes - best thing to alleviate any issues here: ABC - always be charging. If you have the chance, take it, even if you're at 60% SOC or something and you don't technically need to charge.

... third edit in as many minutes: don't keep your charging limit at 100%. In daily charging, try to keep it below 90% to preserve battery health and only charge above 90% if you really need it (and make sure to start driving as soon as possible, ideally straight from the charger). ... driving is annoying above 90% SOC anyway, because you barely have any regen left for one-pedal-driving.

Thanks! Uhh, I thought the premium package could be just substituted with a Wifi... But if not, that changes things.

I did drive most of the first trip with AP, but it was a bit unnerving for now... I'm sure it will be better once I get used to that.

I currently live in an apartment now, so not even extension cords are possible. And charging from heater pole is a sure way to annoy neighbors, and I don't know if I live here long enough to justify any cost of getting proper wiring. On daily basis I should be able to live off public chargers just fine, just the long trips will require some actions.

I know about the 100 %, in this case I will have to go to pick the car up before it will reach even close to 100 % so no issues.

*buys a new car for trouble free driving*

2000 km later

Attachments

• IMG-20210111-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210111-WA0007.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 124
It decided that heating in -13°C is not necessary. I disagreed. The heat pump has some sensor problem which will most likely end up in a recall to all heat pump versions, but here in the cold it makes the car undrivable for obvious reasons. Tow truck picked it up on Sunday evening and brought me a TSI Polo as a loaner. Parts are expected to arrive on Friday...

Parts are expected to arrive on Friday...
Fingers crossed for that :|
Lucky me I have the stupid old version with the resistive heater. Damn inefficient, but at least it just works (but it does sometimes decide to blast the rear with the hottest air it can produce, I think).

The old heater is so much faster too. This takes Webasto like times to heat up the car in the cold. On Model S it was enough to start heating when I tied my shoes, and it was already a sauna when I walked to the car. Heat pump takes 15+ minutes for the same.

Fingers crossed for that :|
Lucky me I have the stupid old version with the resistive heater. Damn inefficient, but at least it just works (but it does sometimes decide to blast the rear with the hottest air it can produce, I think).
Yeah. The 7kW resistive heater uses power like nothing else, but also heats up the car really nice and quick. And yeah, sometimes even when set manually to "1" and with the cabin already warm it'll suddenly decide to pump air from the surface of the Sun for a couple minutes for some reason.

Damn, wouldn't be a Tesla unless there was a teething problem. :( Hopefully it gets sorted quick sharp. I do like the resistive heater but I don't like the juice it uses.

I'm honestly most annoyed by the fact that setting it on "auto" will turn the ventilation up unecessarily high... at this time of year i usually keep the car set to 18°C or something and even after driving around for 20 minutes or more, auto will still set the ventilation to 4 - which at city speeds is annoyingly loud. I don't get it. Also doesn't go away when I turn the temp higher... and also isn't necessary to keep the car from fogging up, because that never happens even if i turn it down to a manual 2. ugh.

Don't know if it is a difference of preference or weather, or heat pump, but I have kept it only in Auto 19°C all the time, and it has worked just fine (until now).

Sensors replaced and works now, hopefully for a good while now.

At -20°C really comfy warmth inside. Totally different than in the new TSI Polo I had as a loaner which struggled to keep warm and especially the heat was so much more unevenly distributed.

I had an Octavia TSI back in the day and it became very clear very quickly that VAG didn't expect any of their customers to use it in temperatures below freezing. It needed a 5 kW Eberspächer heater to reach proper operating temps and keep the occupants (me) from being miserable.

Meanwhile, a rental Toyota Auris I had while my Octavia was being painted after a rear-ending managed to heat up after like two blocks of driving... while returning the same kind of fuel economy as the Skoda. I'm not a Toyota fan but they managed to get one thing right.

Since, as posted elsewhere, I now also have the Tesla retrofit mudflaps for the front in my trunk waiting for install, I decided to come by here and see whether your car came from the factory with those. And it looks like it, I guess?

Also, it looks like yours did not come with what I have decided to call DORKFLAPS™. These dumb rubber flippetyflop things that can optionally be attached (with double-sided tape lol) as well:
1619785928383.png

Last edited: