My Monaro has its first issue

As everyone has said - no worries, the warrenty should cover it, but still, it's damn annoying visiting the dealer when you shouldn't have too :( And believe me I know as my parents own a Mercedes.... :roll:

Other than this issue - you've been liking the car right? It's been sometime since you got it now.

I do love how you call it the "Monaro" btw :D

I see dodgy digital displays on cars all the time, can't make a thing out on my dads 93. I think vibrations just detach the wires at the back somewhat.

I had the same thing happen to the climate control screen on my last car, which was a VY Holden, and uses the exact same displays.

I think it was a couple of hours in the dealership and they replaced the centre displays and it was done.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
As everyone has said - no worries, the warrenty should cover it, but still, it's damn annoying visiting the dealer when you shouldn't have too :( And believe me I know as my parents own a Mercedes.... :roll:

Other than this issue - you've been liking the car right? It's been sometime since you got it now.

I do love how you call it the "Monaro" btw :D

Hehe - Well, it is one! Even the sticker on the door panel says manufactured by Holden.

Otherwise, yea - I have been liking the car. I replaced the factory stereo with a Pioneer AVIC-D2 navigation unit, and installed XM satellite radio with the NavTraffic service as well. I also made sure to add a 3M ClearBra to the fron tof the car very early on, to protect from rock chips.

The display worked fine yesterday after I scheduled the service appointment, but is malfunctioning again today. I guess the real bummer is that I dont know how many extra instrument clusters GM keeps in stock for this car in the US. If it isnt many, I may have to wait for one to come from across the pond...

Greatgraddage said:
I see dodgy digital displays on cars all the time, can't make a thing out on my dads 93. I think vibrations just detach the wires at the back somewhat.

On a 93, I would kind of expect it. On a 2006 model that is only a few months old, its unacceptable.

escessive heat can do that or high voltage

A guy I cruise with returned a brand new STi WRX (2.5 Litre) after a heap of problems....he eventually got fed up with it (mostly related to poor cornering ability)

He's now got a EVO and thats given him a few mechanical gremlins from the factory....(and he hasn't even got upto 1000km's yet!) like timeing belt tensioners etc

I suppose 12K and then a problem is quite good compared to hhis run of luck....

Well, its been at the dealer for two days now, while I drive a POS Chevy Cobalt.

Good news: The cluster has been replaced.

Bad news: The car will not start now.

They think the PCM is fried for some reason. :(

They should get another PCM tomorrow. Maybe I will get it back then. Hopefully.

Update:

The new PCM is in.

The service advisor called asking if I have the security card. This is an item I tried several times to get, unsuccessfully, from my dealership that sold me the car. First they claimed it didnt exist(no such thing), then that it should be in my owner packet (it wasnt), and finally admitted they have no idea how to obtain another one. They said if I ever needed the code, for instance to have the radio replaced, they could hook up a scan tool and read the code. At that moment I was so fed up with dealing with those clowns, I just forgot about it.

So anyway, the advisor says they need the security card to be able to reprogram the BCM (Body Control Module). I told him I dont have it, and why, and he said that they will probably have to order a new BCM, which means up to two more days at the dealership.

Meanwhile, I continue racking up miles in this Cobalt. I should post photos - it looks like a car that mechanics go joyriding in daily. Seats stained, etc.

No Boss said:
ZOMG, Itz teh l3aF sp1ngs!! GM no wai!!1

/What's wrong, the display is all black?

No leaf springs on a monaro my friend...

Shame to hear about the incompetance of your dealers, kinda wrecks the ownership experience when the people that should have a clue how to fix your car actually have bugger all idea :(

*sigh* Yeah sounds like it.....

Lol the last leaf springed Holden besides the "new" 1 Tonner and the crewman(which doesn't really count) was what, erm 1977?

Well, its been three months, and now my Monaro is in the shop again. This time, it had to be flat bedded in to service. Christmas Day, I went to my grandma's house, came home, and then when I went to pick up the fiance from the airport, it wouldn't start. I had to take her Mustang. The next day, it worked fine.

Today, I drove it half the day, then when I went to leave my parents house, again, it wont start.

And this is not a problem like the battery is going dead - the damn thing wont even CLICK like it is going to try to start - it acts like I havent depressed the clutch. I suspect a computer problem, since they had to do a lot of computer replacing/reprogramming when it was in for the dash cluster replacement 3 months ago.

I am seriously entertaining dumping this thing. I have had Fords for 10 years and NEVER had problems like these.

Probably didn't fix something properally when they had it apart last time, stick with the car you'll continue to enjoy it i'm sure :p (unless they bring in the new commodore then I say upgrade to that, lol - i'm biased)

Silly unreliable American cars...:p Maybe your being Overhauled :ph34r: That would be awesome...

If its really causing you so many problems and your not enjoying it, maybe you should trade it in for something else. The new Commodore is going to America so you'll be able to get the Commodore SS-V (4-door) rebadged as a Pontiac something-or-rather.

GM is still on their "no rental car coverage on the first day" bullshit - another plus for Ford. If I hadnt demanded a rental, they would have sent me packing. BS!

Well, its been three months, and now my Monaro is in the shop again. This time, it had to be flat bedded in to service. Christmas Day, I went to my grandma's house, came home, and then when I went to pick up the fiance from the airport, it wouldn't start. I had to take her Mustang. The next day, it worked fine.

Today, I drove it half the day, then when I went to leave my parents house, again, it wont start.

And this is not a problem like the battery is going dead - the damn thing wont even CLICK like it is going to try to start - it acts like I havent depressed the clutch. I suspect a computer problem, since they had to do a lot of computer replacing/reprogramming when it was in for the dash cluster replacement 3 months ago.

I am seriously entertaining dumping this thing. I have had Fords for 10 years and NEVER had problems like these.

Strange, all the local ones never had those kinds of problems (I know quite a few people who work for Holdens)......maybe when when the cars are shipped to the US they are "Americanized" :lol:

Actually maybe the security system is diffrent to the Australian domestic market cars, since they don't come with a pack like that....or at least my GF's mum's VY didn't.....It wouldn't supprise me if its the security system.....my old Holden VL Commodore Calais Turbo had a factory alarm that was nothing but trouble....