My mother has cancer

That American Girl

Car(s)
None, right now. Bye Bye Mustang. :-(
On Tuesday, we rushed my mother to the ER by an ambulance because she had fallen in the kitchen...again. She has been feeling nauseous and dizzy for over a month, and could barely walk a straight line.

We had thought she had had a stroke, but she had refused to go to the doctor, and yes, she lives with me. The stress was terrible.

So, they took her to Mt. Carmel hospital on West Broad and did a ton of tests. The spot they found on her lung in January had moved to her neck and her brain. And diagnosed her with rapidly spreading cancer.

They took a small lump off her neck, but the one on her brain is about the size of a golf-ball. :cry: They're going to wait till Monday to operate on it to see what they can do. Then she'll need chemo and radiation, but will always feel a bit dizzy. The whole family is still kind of freaked out, but they do say she's stable for now at least.

So, if any of you have any extra karma to lend, could you send some my way?

Every single bit of my karma, thoughts, prayers, whatever helps is heading your way :hug:

Only the good kind, absolutely :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending everything I got over your way! Positive thoughts.

:hug:

I shall be sending a lot of thoughts and prayers your way.

That American Girl,

I know exactly what you are going through.

I just finished my Masters and was searching for a job. I was living in Fremont then (last August). I can clearly remember the day I got the call from my sister in India.

My mom had a couple of dark spots on her abdomen and they went to the doctor to get it checked. After blood tests and bone marrow biopsy, she was diagnosed with Leukemia (AML type 2).

I was devastated.

I lost my father to Cancer twenty years ago when I was about 9 years old. Since then, my mom was the tent-pole for my family of me and my two younger sisters. She was the one who brought us up to be successful adults. So, you can imagine how it felt for me. I was in a daze for a couple of days and can't remember anything from that time now.

Anyway, after a couple of days and long and hard thinking, I realized that I not only had to emotionally take care of my two sisters but also, more importantly, my mom.

As someone who went through the same thing, let me tell you that the most important thing you can do is to provide the emotional support your mom and your family needs. I know it is hard to take care of your own emotional roller-coaster in this situation, but it is vitally important to keep your mom's spirits up. The doctors who were treating my mom told us (and I agree from my personal experience) is that medicine alone can take you only so far. Positive thoughts, confidence and that fighting spirit combined with modern medicine can make a LOT of difference.

I also know how easy it is to slip into that negative thought process. Please do things that keep your spirits up.

If your mom is going to need chemo, it is important to know that there will be good days and there will be bad days. Please go through information available online (like this website, which I used extensively (http://www.chemocare.com)).

It has been since February that my mom finished her 4 cycles of chemo and she is doing good so far (knock on wood).

Please feel free to pm me if you need any more info.

All the best for your you and your mom!

My best wishes and positive karma for your mother and your family. I also have experience with cancer in the family and I want to echo all of what chvvkumar said, it's hard but you need to keep your spirits up.

As someone who has also experienced cancer in the family I can only third this, my best wishes and every possible bit of support in the world.

Big hugs from the Ukanian South Coast. I can only hope for the best possible outcome for all involved.

Very sorry for your news and hope that the best outcome will happen with the treatment.

I hate cancer so much, may all the good karma that I have reach your mom and your family.

Best wishes from Romania!