My mother has cancer

Buckets of karma and best wishes. :hug:

My thoughts and prayers are with you TAG.

Sorry to hear. I am praying for you and for your family.

Best wishes and thoughts for you and your family. :( Stay strong and know that people all over the world are thinking about you in this tough time.

Eeek...sod cancer. Fingers crossed and hope activated.

Sending you and you mum all the best wishes from Pittsburgh. And while I may not have much good karma to give, I'm sending it all your way!

Got her results back earlier today:

She has stage 4 small cell cancer (can't remember the actual name for it) that appears to not only be in her brain, but in her left lung and abdomen as well. They're not recommending surgery. She'll do radiation for 2 weeks then 3 weeks of chemo to do what it can. The steroids she's on has shrunk the one in her brain to a much smaller size, so that's good, but...dammit.

They sent her home with me earlier today instead of making her wait the whole time in the hospital, so I'm going to be busy with her for a bit.

I'd still sorta numb over this, but I'm angry as well. She had a full PET scan in February, but never called back to get the results or even followed up with her doc.

But, we're going to do all we can and hope it goes well.

I do want to give another huge and heartfelt thank you to everyone here, and to those who I've talked to since we found this out. I honestly do appreciate it.

Got her results back earlier today:

She has stage 4 small cell cancer (can't remember the actual name for it) that appears to not only be in her brain, but in her left lung and abdomen as well. They're not recommending surgery. She'll do radiation for 2 weeks then 3 weeks of chemo to do what it can. The steroids she's on has shrunk the one in her brain to a much smaller size, so that's good, but...dammit.

They sent her home with me earlier today instead of making her wait the whole time in the hospital, so I'm going to be busy with her for a bit.

I'd still sorta numb over this, but I'm angry as well. She had a full PET scan in February, but never called back to get the results or even followed up with her doc.

But, we're going to do all we can and hope it goes well.

I do want to give another huge and heartfelt thank you to everyone here, and to those who I've talked to since we found this out. I honestly do appreciate it.

Recently had cancer take my mom as well, as you know, so I have a pretty good idea of where you're coming from. Others have expressed their sympathy far better than I - know that you have mine. If you need any advice or just want to vent, let me know.

On a slightly more constructive and less empathic note, I would suggest that you get her examined by the Mayo, MD Anderson, or Stanford as soon as possible for a second opinion at the least - the Mayo is probably your best choice based on geography. My mom's life was prolonged considerably by MD Anderson after her local oncologists and facilities more or less gave up on her. At one point she was actually in what we used to call 'remission' with no evidence of disease through their efforts. (In fact, she might still be around if she'd been able to continue treatments there instead of having other factors - non-economic and not even related to the disease - keep her from doing so.) Those three outfits have treatments and regimens that your local facilities won't hear about for another decade or so, no matter how well intentioned or skilled. There's good, but there's no substitute for the best... in the world... :D when it's this serious.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help from anyone here.

Last edited: