My mother has cancer

Oh my, I'm so sorry and saddened to hear about this. But, you do indeed have all my good thoughts and sincerest best wishes for you, your mother and your family. Best of luck to you all, I really hope everything goes as well as possible. :comfort: :)

Sorry to hear, I'll be sending thoughts your way! :comfort:

Cancer is a horrible illness. One of the most important things is to let her know your there for her through it all.

Last edited:
Thanks again.

She had her first radiation treatment today. Took all of 15 minutes for everything, and she said she feels okay. She'll do this 3 times a week for 2 weeks, then off to chemo. No surgery is scheduled at this time.

She does have an upbeat attitude which is one of the best things she can do right now.

Thanks again to everyone here. :)

Another bit of advice - keeping her spirits and morale up will be critical, as so much is affected by attitude. Additionally, while chemo seriously screws with the appetite and makes patients not want to eat, she should be made to eat even if she doesn't want to. Preferably animal proteins and red meat, as chemo often causes anemia and that needs to be avoided for treatments to be successful and for them to continue. As one of my mom's nurses told her, "You need to eat a lot of meat - anything that had a face is fine."

Yeah, luckily she has the same wonderful attitude that I get with doctors:

"You think I'm going to die? Well screw that. I got stuff to do." *looks at watch* "Well c'mon...lets get this taken care of. I don't have all damn day you know!"

:p

After only 3 radiation treatments, she saw a few hairs start to fall out in the shower now. So, we're going to shave her head in a mohawk...take pics of it...and will use them as blackmail picks for the next time she doesn't want to go to the doctors in the future.

She will have nausea, just make sure she is hydrated and eats or drinks energy giving foods. One of the side effects of chemo is that it kills appetite. Along with nausea and increased trips to the loo, this lack of appetite drains the energy stores link nothing. My mom did not eat a single good meal for 6 months (she was on TPN and when she could, she would eat some fruits, home cooked stuff and drink juices).

Make sure you provide her with high calorie density foods (again, I am repeating the link I mentioned before, http://www.chemocare.com/eatingwell/)

It is really good to hear that your mom has the positive attitude. That alone can do wonders. Good luck and take care!

Thanks again!

She goes in on Monday to get an implanted port on her clavicle for her chemo. She'll go home again for a few days for that to heal..then she'll be getting 3 weeks of the chemo. And then we'll see where she's at.

Last week, mom took a turn for the worse. We took her back to the hospital and they found another spot on her chest...and Friday, they rushed her back to the ER with that looked like another stroke. It was bad. She was in a lot of pain and incoherent.

Now today they have her on a breathing machine and have found a lesion on her spine, and a huge blood clot on her lung. She's also in the Cardiac ICU and have stopped the chemo. They are keeping her drugged up so she's comfortable at least.

They're telling us she might only have a few more weeks. Or 2 if we're lucky. We have a family meeting tomorrow to go over funeral ideas and such for her...but I'm not ready to lose my mom. Not yet...

I just can't. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sunday is Sean's graduation from school that he's worked so hard for, and hes heartbroken that his Nanny wont be there now.

I fucking hate this....

I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your whole family. :(

Last week, mom took a turn for the worse. We took her back to the hospital and they found another spot on her chest...and Friday, they rushed her back to the ER with that looked like another stroke. It was bad. She was in a lot of pain and incoherent.

Now today they have her on a breathing machine and have found a lesion on her spine, and a huge blood clot on her lung. She's also in the Cardiac ICU and have stopped the chemo. They are keeping her drugged up so she's comfortable at least.

They're telling us she might only have a few more weeks. Or 2 if we're lucky. We have a family meeting tomorrow to go over funeral ideas and such for her...but I'm not ready to lose my mom. Not yet...

That sounds too goddamn familiar. :( :( :( Hope this somehow turns out well for you and yours.

If there's anything we can do, let us know.

Last edited:
That is too bad AG. Hope all goes better though. :comfort:

:hug: all the strength for you and yours.

Sorry for the news and I do hope your mom will get better. In any case, spend as much time, say as many things & ask all the questions, as you both want to.

Hope things improve.

So sorry to hear the news, and the best you can do now is gather everyone to be with your mom. I know she'd really love to see everyone, whatever the outcome.

:(