Ownership Verified: My new cat... [Ford Puma 1.7]

Cobra_MX5

I have been looking for quite some time for a car that would be fun to drive (would prefer RWD), cheap to buy and run and cheap to insure. After some searching, researching and serious thinking, I came across a 1999 1.7 Puma in Melina Blue with ~77k miles:

It drove nice, felt nice and although it has a couple of issues, I liked it, so I got it :) . It was cheap to buy and insure, and hopefully won't cost an arm and a leg to keep :D It's not RWD, but it is very good fun to drive, so... ;)

Issues include:
  • tyres in need of changing (one of them was way past it and made the whole car wobble) - now changed with brand new T1R's, car drives great
  • somewhat rusty rear wing - common puma problem, mine is not too bad
  • no service history - although seller seemed to not have neglected the car so don't really care. only thing is I don't know when the cambelt was changed...
  • MOT until end of August

On the plus side, engine is smooth, steering and gearbox are awesome and the whole thing feels nimble and "together", nothing feels loose etc.

Couple more pics, forgot to take proof pic yet, will be done either today or tomorrow... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like a Puma, although it has to be silver. Hows the rear arches and fuel cap?

• no service history - although seller seemed to not have neglected the car so don't really care. only thing is I don't know when the cambelt was changed...
It?s recommended at 75000 Miles (120000 km or every 5 years) for that engine and if you can?t find a sticker in the engine bay that says that it?s been done, then IMO you should asume it hasn?t been done.

Lovely car! Always appreciated the Puma, takes the best from the Fiesta Mk4 and improves it no end. The arches are notorious, and repair panels aren't avliable. If worst comes to the worst, the best fix is to use the front wing of the opposite side of the one you're replacing from a Puegeot 206, the shape is the same, they're readily available in scrappies and the Puegeot metal is better galvanised.

Fantastic cars though. :D

There is some minor surface rust on the passenger side arch, nothing to worry about. will be sanding and fixing that at some point, before it develops more. What needs doing soon is the drivers side, where the rust is deeper and also affects the sill a bit. I will be treating that and filling it in for now, and most probably fix it properly later when I can spend more time and money... Fuel cap works fine, locks properly etc. What problem do they develop?

I've always thought the Puma wheels look odd, what with their covered bolts and one-coloured design. They look kinda like plastic wheel covers... Other than that, great choice :)

Small update, tyres changed to Toyo T1-Rs, also had MOT inspection. Car failed due to some rust on one of the sills and a small rust spot on the floor. Had these fixed yesterday and took it to the MOT place for a retest, which it passed. Other than that, car looked good on the MOT, emissions brakes and everything else works fine.

I am also very pleased with the car's performance and fuel consumption, which averages around 32-35 MPG in town. I also managed to get something along the lines of 43 MPG on A and M roads, with normal driving - not too aggressive, not too careful.