My new computer

zgrabill

This is when you computer freaks make fun of me. I just bought a new computer, a Gateway 610 XL Media Center.

Here are some relevant specs:
Intel? Pentium? 4 Processor 3.0GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology and 800MHz FSB3
512MB 330MHz DDR SDRAM (2-256MB modules)
200GB Ultra ATA100 7200rpm hard drive4
Integrated 7 in 1 media card reader
Integrated DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive
Integrated ATI RADEON 9200 AGP graphics with 128MB of Memory Buffer
17 inch widescreen TFT display.

It functions as a TV, DVD player, FM tuner and internet radio player. It automatically downloads channel guides and allows you to record programs directly to the harddrive and then burn DVDs.

Some of you, I'm sure, will tell me Gateway sucks. But this is the most powerful computer I've had. We set it up in our bedroom and my wife and I watched a DVD last night. Pretty good picture.

Zach

Needs more RAM! :twisted: (unless you aren't going to game with it....)

Make sure to partition that drive now before you get a ton of shit on it so that you can format just a partition instead of the whole drive. ;)

BTW, if you gotta buy a pre-built, go Dell. :p

All that aside, nice computer. 8)

I knew it!!!

Alas, I am not a gamer, but they actually told me this was not the optimum gaming machine when I bought it. Since that didn't really matter to me, I skipped on the extra RAM. All the vids that I downloaded from this site have to go on the new computer or onto CD, I think. If I had access to Top Gear, it'd be a great way to save the episodes for everyone here. DAMN BBC AMERICA.

my comp isn't much of a butt kicker right now but I don't care.. as long as it does the job..

I don't play as much as I did now.. but I'll have to upgrade my video card when they come out with the new models

I got you all beat for comps (as in old, shitty comp)

-PIII 800, running Win '98 SE
-128MB ram
-TNT2 16MB video card
-17" monitor (okay)
-27 GB hard drive (no idea as to speed)

And I agree with Viper, Dell is a wicked company for pre-built. Although I'd probably build my own comp if I got another one.

NO!!!!!!!
I'VE GOT YOU ALL BEAT FOR OLD COMPUTERS!!!!!!

PIII 600MHz
128MB RAM
TNT2 Vanta 8MB video card
28GB, 5600rpm hard drive
15" shitty monitor

u guys are weak

amd k6-2 500mhz 362 ram
2x 20gb HD's
1x 40gb
1x 2.6gb hard drive

that's my server =]

laptop - hp
15"
60gb 5400rpm
1.8ghz amd 2200+
512ram
crap on board ati grfx

main box encoding/gaming/capture
2500 @ 3200 amd
1gb ram
36gb raptor
200gb wd
9700 pro! w00t

[geek mode]

I currently have 4 computers :

- a 486 dx/100mhz
- a P-133mhz
- a PII-350mhz
- a P4 1.8ghz / 256ram / GeForce Ti4400 / 40gb 7200rpm hd / 19 inch mon / dvd-rw / Klipsch 5.1 surround

I got my P4 hooked up to my tv in the other room using an s-vhs cable (ran through the basement).
I control it using a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse.
Works pretty sweet.

I don't have phone lines in my house, but I've got 10 ethernet outlets :lol: .

[/geek mode]

CanadianLoonie said:
I'm still beating people in terms of the oldest/crappiest box still in use as the primary system.

till bout a year ago i had a massive 8 GB hdd and a P2 with on board video and audio. ohh nad 14 " screen that flickers everytime i turn on the light.

Until 1997, my only system was a 486 with a 1 GB hard drive, all from 1993 or so.

dukenukem said:
CanadianLoonie said:
I'm still beating people in terms of the oldest/crappiest box still in use as the primary system.

till bout a year ago i had a massive 8 GB hdd and a P2 with on board video and audio. ohh nad 14 " screen that flickers everytime i turn on the light.

About a year ago I still used my first PC. It was a 300 Mhz Celeron, Riva TNT, I started with 128mb ram, 40 gb hdd and ended with 256mb ram and 160 gb.

My current system:
P4 2.60 Ghz
ATI Radeon 9600TX
512mb ram
dvd-writer
280gb hdd :)

cya
Oli

Wow...all are using desktop, guess I'm the only one using a laptop rite now.
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite 5000 series. A pathetic 1.0 Ghz of Pentium III and 256 MB RAM using Nvidia Geforce 2 Go with 32 MB of video ram and 40 GB harddisk drive. DVD/CD-R combo drive.

I am still using a Duron 800 with 256 mb of ram and 20gb hd regularly for web surfing and text editing.

My other comps are an Athlon 1.2 and Athlon 1.6.

My first comp was a Pentium MMX 233MHZ with the almighty Voodoo 4MB 3D addon card :mrgreen: . That card blew me away back then.