Someone Else's Problem: My new econobox!

Lack of radio aside it looks good. Any particular reason you went the Italian route again?

Well, tbh, the Palio is more Brazilian than Italian.

The top of the range has a much better looking dash, with the tachometer and speedometer with the same size and smaller (and analog) gauges for fuel and water temperature:
Novo%20revestimento%20e%20nova%20cor%20do%20painel_NOVOPALIO.jpg

I foresee a project in your future to change your car's dash :p

It looks like a Chinese VW Polo rip-off. I love it. :lol:

Well, tbh, the Palio is more Brazilian than Italian.

I foresee a project in your future to change your car's dash :p

I did that with my previous Palio. This time I rather change the entire car and get the 1.6 :mrgreen:

It looks like a Chinese VW Polo rip-off. I love it. :lol:

Thanks? :unsure:

It looks like a Golf to me.

If you left it out in a hailstorm and it got all dimply*, it'd look like a giant golf ball!

*I don't recommend doing this.

behold, the econobunny

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/10/01/bunnybox.jpg

idea from coco

also, forgot, grats on the new ride Redliner

Last edited:
behold, the econobunny

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/10/01/bunnybox.jpg

idea from coco

also, forgot, grats on the new ride Redliner

:lmao: :rofl:

Thank you. Really. That made my day. :D

I like it. I like decent, simple, small cars, and this looks like a very decent one. Unfortunately here, car companies appear to have decided that nobody wants a basic car, so these days there are really no base models. Which means, if you want a (really) cheap and basic new car, you have to buy a Proton :(

We don't really get many simple cars here, either. Too many of the small things seem to be afterthoughts that tend to be loaded up with a lot of extraneous doodads to try and cover up the fact that they're afterthoughts. My inner Chapman fangirl finds this pretty revolting. :yucky:

This, though...this looks hoonable...like it'd have a decent power-to-weight ratio from not being a big fat 'Mercun. Thus, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Last edited:
I'm not upset that we don't get very basic cars here, because the reasoning behind that is that cars are so damn cheap in North America.

Don't mean to be a stalker creep, but for the sake of argument, from the quick bit of research I did it looks like Redliner's shiny new Palio costs at least US$17,000. You can get bigger and better equipped cars for that price in America.

Last edited:
I like it. I like decent, simple, small cars, and this looks like a very decent one. Unfortunately here, car companies appear to have decided that nobody wants a basic car, so these days there are really no base models. Which means, if you want a (really) cheap and basic new car, you have to buy a Proton :(

Not quite. Cars are REALLY expensive there, and mine can be even considered well-equipped because it has air conditioning, power steering, power windows and power locks. Fancy things like SatNav, ABS, airbags, onboard computer, parking assist etc etc are all exclusively found in pricier cars, costing twice as much.

We don't really get many simple cars here, either. Too many of the small things seem to be afterthoughts that tend to be loaded up with a lot of extraneous doodads to try and cover up the fact that they're afterthoughts. My inner Chapman fangirl finds this pretty revolting. :yucky:

This, though...this looks hoonable...like it'd have a decent power-to-weight ratio from not being a big fat 'Mercun. Thus, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

To be fair, it is kinda light (980kg) so the 75bhp are adequate.

I'm not upset that we don't get very basic cars here, because the reasoning behind that is that cars are so damn cheap in North America.

Don't mean to be a stalker creep, but for the sake of argument, from the quick bit of research I did it looks like Redliner's shiny new Palio costs at least US$17,000. You can get bigger and better equipped cars for that price in America.

Exactly.
The version I got has a base price of USD17,800 for the cheaper 2-door version and it has nearly no equipments apart from the required by law. It's really really spartan.
Mine, being a 4-door and having the aforementioned a/c, power locks, mirrors etc comes to a price of USD21,560. I got it for USD19,900. So yeah, that kind of money would buy A LOT more car in the USA or Canada.

Not quite. Cars are REALLY expensive there, and mine can be even considered well-equipped because it has air conditioning, power steering, power windows and power locks. Fancy things like SatNav, ABS, airbags, onboard computer, parking assist etc etc are all exclusively found in pricier cars, costing twice as much.
It's gotten to the point here where there is not one car you can buy without air conditioning. Very few will have manual windows and/or mirrors. All will have at least 2 airbags, and in a few months time, stability control. Everything has central remote locking and CD players. The traditional large car which you used to be able to get in a stripped out fleet trim (without a/c, electric anything, etc.), now has climate control air con, alloys, electric everything, automatic gearbox and hundreds of airbags.

I guess it's a good thing really, but it means that about 5 years ago you could get a large car for around $35,000, and now they cost upwards of $40,000 for the cheapest model.

Looks nice. Congratz on the new ride.

Thanks!

It's gotten to the point here where there is not one car you can buy without air conditioning. Very few will have manual windows and/or mirrors. All will have at least 2 airbags, and in a few months time, stability control. Everything has central remote locking and CD players. The traditional large car which you used to be able to get in a stripped out fleet trim (without a/c, electric anything, etc.), now has climate control air con, alloys, electric everything, automatic gearbox and hundreds of airbags.

I guess it's a good thing really, but it means that about 5 years ago you could get a large car for around $35,000, and now they cost upwards of $40,000 for the cheapest model.

I think it's a good thing! Or maybe I am getting old. :p

I finally got some alloy wheels.

2011-07-27%25252017.45.54.jpg

2011-07-27%25252017.47.08.jpg

2011-07-27%25252017.47.28.jpg

2011-07-27%25252017.46.42.jpg

2011-07-27%25252017.47.42.jpg

:dunno:

'Cus they're small? :dunno:

Hooray for alloys! I hope you have much economical fun in this car :) In the end, it keeps you dry in the rain, same as any other car. It gets you were you're going (eventually) same as any other car. And it's something you can say is yours :)

Needs some little racing stripes, though. But only if you use ethanol for those extra 2 horsepower!