Ownership Verified: My new Panzertank (2006 Passat VR6)

Sure, there are plenty of better cars today but, many of them have trade-offs I don't want. I've been willing to stay with one car for a longer period. Having said that, I'm willing if anyone wants to donate a working AMG or BMW M. ;)

Anyway a quick update, I've been foiled by thrift yet again. My discount tools don't have the proper 15mm spanner needed to work on my rear brakes. I've had to put the anchors on, until I can save up for more tools.

Quick update: I have yet another failure to obtain an adequate tool to remove the stubborn caliper bolts. Even with a more powerful still 3/8" impact (HFT Hercules brushless), these 21mm bolts refuse to budge. I'm considering the jump to a 1/2" gun, at this point. I have also obtained the tools needed to work on the rear brakes. I'm discovering a lot of... charm... as I work on this car.

How she looks now:
PXL_20220908_160858794[1].jpg

That has to be the nicest looking 06 Passat I've ever seen. Normally the headlights are fogged over and the chrome grille isn't looking too hot. :D

Just a quick update on how things are going; I got a more powerful impact gun to get at those pesky caliper carrier bolts, so I can install new rotors next week. Still waiting for our incredibly efficient postage service to deliver my charger. Picked up a breaker bar and the triple-square sockets for the rear calipers as well. I'm excited to try out my new impact gun, it's a Milwaukee 2962 mid-torque. All new EBC redstuff pads have been fitted, it's a massive improvement in braking once they're all broken in. Only problem is the brake dust, these pads do dust more than factory. However, the dust is easier to clean off as the material is non-metallic.

As for faults, I will have to fit some new fuel sensors soon, I keep getting codes for it. Life is never dull with an ageing German car.😒

As the story continues...

Following a recent brake fluid exchange, the rear brakes started to squeal, enough to make me worry. I got around to looking at the rear brakes and saw the pads were rubbing on the disc and causing uneven wear. Investigation shows the retainer clips old and bent out of spec, not allowing the pads to move freely. Both rear pads and clips will need to be replaced before the car is driven again.

Other than this setback, I've been enjoying the car. I'm just frustrated having to juggle my work between migraine attacks and the pittance from disability I get monthly. This winter has really set off my depression.

My order came in early today, so I was able to get the brakes fixed up today. New pads and hardware solved the problem. Now that I've upgraded to ATE Typ 200 brake fluid, the pedal is extra firm after repeated stops. Whilst not quite race grade, the brake fluid can withstand 280C in optimal cases.