Ownership Verified: My new Panzertank (2006 Passat VR6)

Vette Boss

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6
Yes, I've bought another Passat. No surprise as I was a huge fan of my last one. I found a VR6 model that had all the features I wanted, at a good deal. I was able to negotiate $300 off the asking price and got the dealership to fix the rear bumper and the bootlid struts. Quite a good deal, I thought.

Anyhow, here a few quick photos I took of the car, including the proof one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Should be nice for annoying 150hp-V8s :D.

Btw: I didn't know people were actually living in Arkansas. Thought its just a name for that empty space on the map :p

It has the same Aisin-Warner 6-speed auto that is common across the VAG line-up. From what I can tell, the first generation DSG couldn't handle the VR6.

Aww, the 6-speed DSGs are lovely.

All VR6 B6s over here came in DSG 4Motion only guise, even the more powerful R36. I guess the US version lost the DSG along with the 4Motion to keep it cheap :cry:

Last edited:
Congrats. It looks like a great all around car.

I spy a Prius in the background... :mad:

It has the same Aisin-Warner 6-speed auto that is common across the VAG line-up. From what I can tell, the first generation DSG couldn't handle the VR6.

Wtf? That's noting like the truth?

Yes it's a DSG and fit's the engine perfect! Needs carbon clutches if you want to turbocharge it but no problem with original engine.

Aww, the 6-speed DSGs are lovely.

All VR6 B6s over here came in DSG 4Motion only guise, even the more powerful R36. I guess the US version lost the DSG along with the 4Motion to keep it cheap :cry:

*snip*

My thought is that the first generation DSG was being developed around the same time as the B6, so it wasn't included until later. They have been offering DSG on various models since 2006, slowing adding models along the way. You can now get DSG as an option on most VW models here.

Nice car. It reminds me of my S70 in an unfortunate way - Europe got the cool and awesome AWD, LSD, manual, 300hp versions, and here in the US we got stuck with 240hp, FWD and only 361 cars with equipped with a manual (no LSD).

Nice car. It reminds me of my S70 in an unfortunate way - Europe got the cool and awesome AWD, LSD, manual, 300hp versions, and here in the US we got stuck with 240hp, FWD and only 361 cars with equipped with a manual (no LSD).

While my car does lack DSG and 4Motion, it's quite a leap to compare it with a 14-year old Volvo anything. I have the sport package, which includes some of the best seats I've ever sat in and a sport chassis that really improves the handling over the base model.

I think he means its neutering in relation to the European counterpart, not as a direct comparison to the Volvo.

Correct. I'm not comparing Volvo vs. VW. Just US spec models vs. Euro spec models.

"VR6"? I thought that badge went out with the 35i? And it doesn't show up anywhere on the pictures...

That is correct. It is not called VR6, not the model. But the engine still is a VR6, the latest 3.6 Liter version in this case. The last gen Passat was available as "3.2 V6 FSI" (250ps/247hp) with a VR6-engine, and with this 3.6l-version as "3.6 V6 FSI" producing 280ps/276hp and as "Passat R36", putting out 300ps/hp. The current gen B7 is still available with the 300hp-version, being called "3.6 V6" again.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

And I forgot to mention: Nice car, Vette Boss. But I'll always have a soft spot for Passats anyway, because our family cars were Passats since I was four years old until I moved out...

Wait, what? There's no 300hp S70 of any kind. Our T5 has 240hp just like the US version. Only the R is slightly more powerful with 250 and they sold very few of them in sedan form.

Most R buyers opted for the correct body style ( ;) ), as did most AWD buyers, R or not. I don't think I've seen a single S70R in the flesh, and not a single S70R AWD anywhere ever. Quite a few V70 AWD and R AWD's around though. An educated guess is that most of them are automatic too.

To the OP: nice car. I'm considering a Passat too when this thing is paid off. Sad that so many of them here are bargain versions with no options, public transit-grade seats and a 105hp TDI. Gotta have at the very least a 140hp TDI, preferrably a 2.0TFSI.

Last edited: