Ownership Verified: My new Panzertank (2006 Passat VR6)

It just looks like a slight scratch on the photo... was there hidden damage on the inside?

Inspecting the damage under hard light, shows that the paint is cracked around the area and the whole bumper on that side, was shifted out of position. This is far worse than the photo shows.

ah, so it was warped out of shape?

back when i worked in a bodyshop, we did plastic welding to fix cracks and the like, it'd take a lot before you'd have to change it, but losing it's shape and fitment, would do it.

ah, so it was warped out of shape?

back when i worked in a bodyshop, we did plastic welding to fix cracks and the like, it'd take a lot before you'd have to change it, but losing it's shape and fitment, would do it.

You can see where it broke some clips loose around the area but, the screws at the front (near the wheel well) are all in place.

I was about to say that would be an easy job, but I don't know how close to the firewall the back valve cover are on these.

On this engine, it's actually one valve cover for everything. The problem is getting the intake manifold off and a bunch of other ancillary stuff. The VR6 is more closely related to an inline-6 than a V6.

Wow, no updates on this car for a long time. Life has been busy and I'm going through some medical issues. New tyres were recently fitted to replace the ageing Goodyears that were on it before. After doing plenty of shopping around, I settled on the General GMAX AS-05. Initial impressions of the tyre are great, it seems to stick to the road and behave better than the Goodyears ever did. Over the summer, I decided to do some DIY and installed some new spark plugs. Nothing crazy, just the OEM plugs.

Reactions: lip
Good stuff. Hope you get well soon.

I've been doing more work to my car over the last two years, replaced some interior parts that were peeling and used leather touch-up kits from Colourlock on the seats and steering wheel. Interior looks basically new now, apart from minor wear. Still gotta fix the headliner, it sags in a few places. An expensive fix I don't look forward to...

Anyway, the next big thing I'm working on is brakes. This car still had factory pads from seventeen years ago... Pad technology has some a long way and I needed new ones, so I've upgraded to EBC Redstuff. I have the slotted USR discs (rotors) as well but, my impact gun is too weak to get the 21mm bolts off. I love the pads on the front so far, much better bite and will only get better as they bed in. My rear pads should arrive by Friday evening and probably be installed the same day. Now, all I need is a gentle nudge to buy a Milwaukee impact gun.:LOL:

Props for holding onto the car this long! Ten years already.

This is really a car worth keeping to me. I said I would probably get old with this car, right from the start.

I know this generation of passat, and it is decen't, but if you can replace the radio, than it's a fine vehicle.

IDK, I have trouble holding on to cars for a long time. About the only car I wanted to keep for a while was the MK7 Golf GTI I had.... I miss it.