My new project car: 1990 Mustang GT

Aye it's a 2.5". I was debating getting new headers that were 3" since I thought the system was completely ruined when I got it, but completely fine now.

so this gonna be a drag car?

or you gonna do a road course soon?

I'm almost dead set on it being a joy/drag car, being as it's not a car favored around tracks. But I'm not going all out with a roll cage and drag racing suspension, I'll be restoring the body/interior over the winter. Trying to make it fast enough to bracket race...and still have a functional street car.

If anything I'll take my STI to another track day next spring, haven't been to one since Willow Springs back when I was still in California.

*UPDATE*
After the last track day coming this weekend, I'll be taking the motor out to prepare it for a stroker kit. :D

Last edited:
My heart says 347, but I'm still not sure. I've also been scowering for some 351W blocks to 396 or 408 it out, but I'm not having much luck locally finding a rotating assembly or even just the block.

I'm going to take it to an engine shop to have them take a look and decide what's the best for my app., and I'm going to put their name behind it. Going to get it right the first time.

I was looking between the 331, 347, 351, etc. and decided that the 331 was probably the best. The 351 will require new headers, oil pan, intake, etc. The 347 has the oil burning problem since the oil ring is in the middle of where the wrist pin goes (they are a few special kits that don't have this problem though). The 331 is middle of the road. Though just a nice set of heads will make the ole' 302 work well. A buddy of mine has a 306 with stock ported heads (either E7s or DO0Es I think) and a stock bottom end and has run low 10s on the spray and it runs mid 11s off the bottle...

I just got off the phone with my cousin (has a '89 GT, influenced me to get one :D), and he was also saying that 331 sounds pretty middle of the road and decent, looks like both of you are leaning in the right direction for me :D

I was looking here at the combos. With the top end mods I have currently, and some headwork along with this stroker kit, I'm hoping I can hit the low 12's.

Well, still planning on getting a stroker kit...but with this instead:

351W :D
http://img409.imageshack.**/img409/3194/p1070383sl1.jpg

Got the complete engine for $250(EFI), stripped it down to the block and is being boiled/magnafluxed as I'm posting this. But of course going to make sure that the block is still strong before I go pulling the 302 out :D

Last edited:
Solid :(. Had to bang out some of the lifters out with a flathead screwdriver :D. Not sure yet whether or not to switch to roller, as I know it needs to be a custom grind.

Any suggestions Craig?

Last edited:
I'm really not sure. I guess I would probably go with the heads on the 302 right now, they flow about the same as aftermarket 351 heads from what I've been told. If not, probably these if the ported ones fit the 351, twisted wedge version.

Last edited:
Aye it's a 2.5". I was debating getting new headers that were 3" since I thought the system was completely ruined when I got it, but completely fine now.

what are you nuts? 2.5 is already nudging on too big. Trust me, you don't want to go larger then 2.5 on a car like that, it will sound pretty crap at anything besides low-rpms

I think the problem was finding myself a 2.5" kit for a decent price. A lot of the Flowmaster systems were 3", which was what I was wanting. Your right though, I got to hear a Mustang at the track that went from my size to the Flowmaster thunder 3"...just didn't sound right.

But with the 351W, I think a lot of the full-length headers are 3" at the collectors.

Small update, 351W is being .030" overbored as of today. Leaning towards a 383 stroker kit, took the pricing in to the engine shop this morning :D

Nice to hear!

On a side note, i would atleast try the car on a track, my friend with a foxbody rather enjoys his car in such ways, and his beefy 5.0 vs. my tiny old MR2 was actually a really fun battle at grattan last year. Too bad my MR2 turned into a ball of rust and his loose trans mount combined with his quick-shifts ruined what was left of the 5.0s sychros.

As a perfect parallel to our cars demise the economy in Michigan is now at a all time suck.

Last edited:
You know, I must just give it a try:D. I am debating going next year w/ both of my cars. It'll be the Mustang...which will have too much power for it's own good, but I am ordering a lot of stiffening mods for it. And then the STI to give it some small course fun, haven't been on a track day with it since Willow Springs!

It's just a problem that the chapter of SCCA (which is the only group I can find to race with), is out of Des Moines...+200 miles round trip. But they do come to Waterloo which is a lot closer.

I'm still up in the air at the moment, even though I'm thinking 383. Is a 392 a slightly smaller bore from the 393? 10.30 is an awesome time, I'm hoping to get into the low 12's if any, really being conservative :D. I'm nervous that I'll break something come spring :D

The questing my cousin and I were think about is consistency. I guess the trans shop downtown has a C-6 sitting around, should we take it? The guy was saying he can build it to be rock solid. But it's yet to be seen I guess, we still have to transplant things from the 302, and then tear apart the drivetrain next month.