My new project car: 1990 Mustang GT

It's been slow going, but the motor is assembled minus some accessories and cross-feed lines for the fuel rails. My cousin's dad has been the motor assembler along with me working out of his shop, and he has had almost two months worth of medical visits, tests and what not for a heart problem he has been having...so I have been helping him out to get back on his feet and feel well, leaving my motor on the back burner for now..

Here's a cell shot of it from last week, it's very close...but so far from going in :D

http://img390.imageshack.**/img390/3977/0626081518mx6.jpg

Well hope your cousin's dad gets well soon. Keep us updated on your progress.

My buddies car was finished, but it the car overheated and blew the head gaskets. It only ran a 12.91 @ 104, but that was one run before they blew. He'll have it back together at some point...

Updates :D

It's going in this week, to hopefully be ready for Sunday! :mrgreen:

https://pic.armedcats.net/g/g0/g00b3r/2008/08/14/DSC00007.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/g/g0/g00b3r/2008/08/14/DSC00008.jpg

I want his Pontiac :drool:

Had some tweaking to do, the metal spacers for the headers were very much torch cut from Hooker, had to die grinder to it which was painstakingly long and messy, had metal shards all over me in minutes :lol:. Also had to clean up the header pipes...also had a lip on them, looked like they took a band saw to cut them.

Cousin's dad is still having problems, but I am using his garage with his huge stalls and loads and loads of tools. He's even got a mid '60s 289 block there that I helped him with, had to lay the crank in and get he whole rotating assembly in for him...that engine is gonna be a high revving sonofabitch.

ITS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All I can say is...holy shit. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

This thing is another kind of beast, I might have awakened a beast beyond my ability to restrain :mrgreen:. It does not sound street legal. This engine does not sound fuel injected. To the untrained eye, nobody would have a clue from it sitting there that it's anything more than a 302.

I have video, but it's on a HI8 tape...so I have no means at the moment to transfer it. Recorded the initial start and the 20min break in. My cousin, me and the master technician from the Ford dealer who is a close friend was there to witness and diagnose anything that happened. Only thing is that a plug wire fell off.

Perfect temp, perfect pressure, open headers and a beast of an idle. Drained oil out and putting in my Amsoil tomorrow...this baby is a beast. I'll be recording it via digicam for everyone to see by the end of this week!

Last edited:
Can't wait... I'm excited!

Here she is :D

I would watch the high quality versions, does it a lot more justice :mrgreen: First time I have used my HD camera! And if these embedded ones aren't, head over to youtube and watch it in high quality, sounds great.

Walk through vid...I was a little nervous talking behind the camera

[youtube]cPzaNiszpg4[/youtube]

Startup and walk around

[youtube]ryRx03HzHe0[/youtube]

Idle and Revving
[youtube]DDWJg4_1SJg[/youtube]

Those performers are not going to do you any favors on top end. Trickflow twisted wedges are where its at, they are incredible. I have 3 friends with 5.0 stangs. One is mostly stock with a cam, one has a 306 with TF heads, cam and intake, the otherone is ford racing heads, cam and intake with a 306 also. The TF is QUITE a bit faster than the ford racing car, and if I'm not mistaken, the gt40 heads perform about the same as the performers.

If the flow up in the range is the issue, these heads aren't like they were out of the box:). I was on my way to buying some Victor heads or some Twisted Wedge heads from another 351W user that were suggested to me to go with my TF intake, but these are the same heads from the 5.0, didn't think it would do much harm keeping them.:thumbsup:

Even Twisted Wedge heads would not be correct for the setup, had to still look at getting work done to them to match. Had the Performers shipped out to be worked on based on the stroker kit and the flow needed. Money became an issue on dropping it for getting new heads, would be wasting perfectly good set.

I think if you were to set my Performers beside another set, you would be pretty amazed in the difference :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Well I'm hoping to get to the dyno shop down the block within the next month or so, once I have a decent backup of cash and an opening for the dyno...I guess these guys are real solid working on their diesel pull trucks over the winter. That and I need to get the old exhaust cut up and re-done, and now I am stuck with dragging the pipes down there and not the car since we are getting snow now.

But let's hope for 400HP+ :mrgreen:

Great car! Just please don't mess with the hood - don't put one of those ugly redneck cowl hoods.

IMO, a small cowl hook looks nice. It's when they are huge that it's really ugly.

Good:
BS20069229821_200711151440478437208-display.jpg

BAD!!!
17729001.jpg

I'm thinking of just cutting a hole in the shape of the upper manifold, I think it would look pretty sinister with a little bit of intake/tb showing, would give people something to think about before they try something :mrgreen:

Hood! :D

I kinda took a break over the winter since I have been storm chasing for work...and just needed a general break from the Mustang.

But I got the hood in today....4" cowl :devil: It's a hinge hood, I just place all the original hood latching equipment on it and it's all gravy.

http://img6.imageshack.**/img6/7637/dsc3395u.jpg

Guy who delivered it was in a huge 18 wheeler freight truck, was surprised that was able to get in my neighborhood with that thing!

http://img6.imageshack.**/img6/8236/dsc3396.jpg

One little issue, the mold that creates the area for the air ducts on the cowl rubs on the EGR...so I'll have to cut out a notch there..then I'm off to finish off the little things (exhaust/trans tweaking).

Looking good man!

Did you ever get it to the dyno?