• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

My new toy

AutoMX

Well I've finally found the right MR2 for myself. $500 of pure glory.
1989 MR2 NA 5 speed manual
210 000 miles, 40k since rebuilt engine
got hit on the front right corner by a 16 yr old with no license, no real frame damage, drives well and no steering problems.
Also has the most spectacular interior of all time :lol:

Picking it up this week. Will post updates as I fix and change it up cosmetically. No serious plans for mechanical upgrades yet.

aw2.jpg

aw1.jpg

aw5.jpg

aw4.jpg

Very nice choice, I used to constantly bug a friend of mine to let me drive her N/A MR2.

Certainly not super fast, but it drives on rails! And the engine is where it belongs, right behind your head.

Just do me a favor, and get rid of that horendously ugly yellow interior.

engine runs great even with the high mileage, tranny is also good, has many new parts such as brake rotors and such.

eventually if i come across an MK2 turbo engine (1993+ is 240hp) for a good price, i'll put that in. the performance will be truly amazing (for me).

but as far as the old engine goes, i dont have any real plans to play with it. i've toyed with the idea of putting in a cheap cheap nitrous system with a small shot (10 or 15) nothing to blow the engine. but that will be later.

yes the interior has to go. i might go for the ferrari 2 tone interior, black on top tan below. i won't do all black since the heat here will kill me, i already have that in my 240SX :?

:thumbsup:

not so sure about that interior though...

a bit of tlc and you'll have yourself one hell of a fun car.

wonder if there's any other AW11 owners lurking here...

fbc said:

the existing one or 2 tone black/tan idea?

the reason why is because my friend has an original ferrari 355 interior that needs reupholstering, so I might end up using that for a unique look.

AutoMX said:
fbc said:

the existing one or 2 tone black/tan idea?

the reason why is because my friend has an original ferrari 355 interior that needs reupholstering, so I might end up using that for a unique look.

the yellow one - it's, err, bright...

Nice buy dude, keep us updated, the first thing to go should be the yellow interior, it might get you into an accident!

yea the interior and Apple will have to go. hell i'm tempted to smash the rear window myself :lol: sorry but i hate macs, from having to work on them @ college...

wow clean car.. LA no rust on cars :p
ok i just saw the front lol.. still clean nice interior too (am i the only one who likes yellow? :p)
congrats

i'm keeping the wheel, it's not bad at all.

the right headlight mechanism's rails might be bent and that would be a problem. if they are i'll change the headlights (running a jammed motor will fry it). i might get round lenses like the 928 (popup though). we'll see.

either way i'll fix the front up and repaint it if my spraying skills are OK. i do have some yellow diablo paint, BMW gunmetal gray and a lighter BMW metallic gray, some reds, white, and others... i'll check though.

lastly, the engine. if i come across a cheap MK2 (SW20) Turbo (ideally 1993+) that's what's going in. if not i'll ride out this engine till it loses some compression, then twin turbo it using junkyard turbos (low pressure ones) and add water injection and twin intercoolers. all in the spirit of cheapness. :lol:

picked up the car today (friend drove it back, i still have to learn stick shift :lol: ) and it drives good. it has an Alpine alarm which I didn't know until i bought it, and that just makes the deal so much nicer. soon, the repairs begin..

it's your first manual?

a whole new world will open for u 8)

^^

Good old manual, a bastard in crawling traffic but great when it gets flowing...