My personal car reviews: BMW 740d xDrive

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Last year in April I already had one of the current BMW 7-series, the 730d. But since I needed that car for a rather long trip to southern Germany then, there wasn't enough time for a proper review or to make videos. So the review back then was a bit short and hasty. I promised myself to be more thorough the next time I get my hands on one.

The opportunity came last Thursday, when I saw a 740d parked at my trusted car rental. I asked about the car but it was already reserved for the weekend and right after that, it was scheduled for sale. But if the customer doesn't crack the 24,000 kilometer mark on the odometer, they said, I could have it. So I hoped he wouldn't.

And he didn't. Actually the previous customer only drove the car about 500 km in 4 days. Why did he rent it at all??? It's expensive, for crying out loud.

Anyway, his loss was my advantage. So I proudly took the car on Tuesday. It wasn't until I took the pictures of the car, that I realized it's not only a 740d but the 4WD version with xDrive:

6210716229_750784ba55_o.jpg

6211229882_8065bca49c_o.jpg

6211230880_b8073ca861_o.jpg

6210719573_96fa4d55e7_o.jpg

6210724635_7dc392cbc6_o.jpg

6210721785_308c8b1447_o.jpg

6210725325_964e8eef35_o.jpg

6211233402_4b275a64cc.jpg

6211235292_413cbdd394_z.jpg

The engine is the familiar 3-liter 6-cylinder twin-turbo diesel, which I already know from the X3, the 3-Series and the 5-series. In the 7-Series it comes with 306 HP and 600 Nm of torque (from 1500 - 2500 rpm). And of course it has the 8-speed automatic, which is really excellent.

The data sheet says it takes 6.0 seconds from 0-100 km/h but when I stopped the time it was between 6.5 and 7 seconds. The reason is obvious: Weight. This car came with almost everything the list of optional extras could offer. So I did a quick calculation and came to the conclusion, that with two people and a full tank, this car probably weighs 2200 kg.

So it doesn't come as a surprise, that it wasn't nearly as quick as the 5-Series, not to mention the 3-series. In fact, with 20 HP less and "only" a 6-speed automatic, the 335d is 5 seconds faster from 0-200 km/h, than the 7-series, which confirms my assumption, that the 335d might be the fastest factory-standard diesel on the market right now. If they upgrade the 3-series to 300 HP and install the 8-speed gearbox, it will probably even beat the mighty Audi A8 4.2 TDI.

But back to topic. The interior is very nice but also very familiar. That's because it looks exactly like in the 5-series but only a bit wider. As a matter of fact, the similarity raises the question, why to buy a 7-series, when you can also have an equally nice 5-series:

6210741029_31f12fba3c_o.jpg

6210738957_72b7216cf6_o.jpg

6211252866_b4b2b8bd5c_o.jpg

6211250210_e54ab1bf55_o.jpg

6211249332_9f2f52fac1_o.jpg

6211248544_7be08aa8cf_o.jpg

6211247600_4be2e94de9_o.jpg

6210733593_58e7678874_o.jpg

6211245458_920124bed1_o.jpg

6210731889_7d60bd4111_o.jpg

6211243398_a04908ba3c_o.jpg

6210729283_7a5243fd3a_o.jpg

6210741695_036df38f3e_o.jpg

6211240314_e295290b1b_o.jpg

If you ask me, BMW is making a mistake to make their cars look alike that much. The 7-series is supposed to be the pinnacle of automobile engineering, the best of the best. Yet you have trouble to tell by a look in the rear mirror, if it is a 1-series or a 7-series, that's tailgating you on the Autobahn. Even though the 7-series is considerably larger, than the 5-series, the shape is so similar, that you have to look twice to tell which is which.

A luxury barge like the 7-series is targeting a group of customers, that not necessarily have a passion for understatement. If you want to drive such a car, you usually want others to recognize what it is, without having to check what it says on the boot lid. And you don't wanna have to explain to everybody all the time, that it is a 7er and not a 5er.

Mercedes does it right. The S-Class is a completely different animal from the inside and the outside, than any other car in their portfolio. It is immediately recogized as an S-Class, the top model, the legendary luxury icon and nothing else. BMW (and Audi) still have a lot to learn to equal the Benz, when it comes to image and status.

However, the 7-series might look like a pumped-up 5-series but the driving experience is a completely different one. For once, the 7-series is massive and also feels massive. I'd say it feels even more massive, than an S-Class. It also is a lot quieter inside, than a 5-series. Which has advantages and disadvantages.

The upside is, that the driving experience is extremely relaxed, because you are acoustically shielded from the outside world. Even rough cobblestone doesn't produce any vibrations or deep-frequency resonances inside. At high speeds there is some wind noise but it always stays on a level, where don't have to raise your voice, when you wanna talk with your passengers.

The downside of the good sound insulation is, that the grumble of the diesel engine is much more promiment, than in the 5-series. And you will notice even the tiniest creak or fizz, despite the overall superb interior and trim quality.

I wouldn't labour the point so much, if I hadn't driven an S350 diesel before and know, that Mercedes doesn't have that downside. The S-Class is even more quiet and refined and the engine is barely audible despite of that. Maybe BMW wants to give the driver a better "driving experience" and therefore gives the engine "more room", acoustically speaking. I don't know.

The road behaviour is flawless on country roads. Despite the width of the car you don't have any panic attacks, when you are on a narrow C-road and a garbage truck comes towards you. The steering is precise, the directional stability nothing but perfect. Only finding a parking space in narrow towns will definitely be a problem, since in addition to its size, the car doesn't give you a real feeling about where it starts and ends. You end up choosing parking spaces, that are really big, just in case.

Things are different on the Autobahn, though. Size doesn't matter here and the BMW 7-series belongs to the rare species of perfect companions for long trips at high speeds. 200 km/h feels like cruising really.

Unfortunately this car was already equipped with winter tyres (why? it's just October and the car is being sold now!!) and even worse, those winter tyres are only allowed to do 210 km/h. Yup, 210. In a car that's electronically limited to 250 km/h. They put winter tyres with 240 km/h clearance on the X3 but on the 7-series they choose to equip it with tyres with a clearance of 210. Again: Why, for God's sake?

And on the Autobahn those winter tyres are not really good as well. They make the car crosswind-sensitive and in corners or when the road surface changes or has ruts, they have a tendency to let the car "swim", meaning you have a very unpleasant feeling of the car getting light and waggle about. Not a good choice of tyres from BMW, especially since BMW lacks a system like the "Active Body Control" Mercedes offers for the S-Class, which compensates crosswinds and instabilities, before the driver even notices them.

The biggest downside (and the biggest disappointment) of the 7-series, though, is something you wouldn't expect in such a car: A lack of space for the driver and discontenting ergonomics.

I will of course elaborate:

Even when I lower the driver's seat as much as possible and raise the steering wheel to its top position, the top of the steering wheel partly blocks the view on the speedometer for people as tall as I. For some reason, the steering wheel cannot be adjusted high enough, which also means, that whenever I entered the car, I had to squeeze my legs in place, especially when I was caring a wallet in the front pocket. The fact, that the front doors are too short and that you have to literally get around the B-pillar to let yourself down into the driver's seat, isn't helping either. And when you have squeezed yourself in, you often realize, that you have rolled up the carpet with your feet in the process and have to put it into place again.

This is not a matter of body mass, mind you. Granted, I'm a fat bloke but this is a problem that all tall people will have in this car. I was able to find a good sitting position but with reduced visibility on the instruments. And, what's even more strange, also with reduced visibility on the head-up display. When I was sitting straight in my seat, part of the head-up display was cut off. I had to bow my head a little to see the full display. Not good. Especially when you consider, that I had none of these problems with the 5-Series.

At least the backseat passengers have plenty of room. Even with me at the wheel, another bloke of my size has no problem fitting in back there. And entering and exiting is easier in the back, too. This 7-series is only a driver's car, if the driver is shorter than 185 cm. Otherwise you'll better have a chauffeur.

So my final verdict is this: The BMW 7-series is a very good car, that surely belongs among the best out there. But it has some flaws, which the S-Class simply doesn't have. So currently the 7er is "only" the number 2 on my personal ranking list, sharing this place with the 5-series, which all in all is the more harmonic product.

On a side note: Overall consumption was 10 liters/100 km. Which is very good really. I was limited to 210 km/h, though, which helped a lot with that ;)

6210743347_7af3e6bbe7_o.jpg

The appeal, look and feeling of the interior is beyond any doubt. A current Audi A6 feels like a cheap plastic vehicle from Korea compared to this. On the centerconsole you find the iDrive of course, the electric handbrake, the automatic descent function (it's a 4WD, remember?), the adjustments for suspension and gearbox (Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+), the OFF switch for the ESP and of course the gear lever, which also contains a manual option (but why would you want that in a car like this?).

6210742257_f544260494_o.jpg

In a car like this, a great number of knobs and buttons is standard. This shows the left side of the steering wheel. On the indicator stalk, you also have the following functions:
- Changing the display of the onboard computer (Consumption, range, average speed, etc.)
- Automatic light control for the high beam on/off
Also on the left side of the steering wheel is the control of the radar-guided cruise control. The buttons from top left in clockwise order are:
- Setting current speed as the speed to hold
- Shortening the automatic distance the car shall hold
- Setting the cruise control to higher or lower speed (strangely enough it only works up to 180 km/h)
- On/off button
The cruise control is not very intuitive and especially at night you have to look for the right button. What you cannot see in this picture, is the stalk for the elecric adjustment of the steering wheel. It's behind the cruise control settings.

6211255778_7c7e3603dd_o.jpg

The right side of the steering whel. The button at the end of the window wiper stalk activates the rain sensor. You can adjust the sensivity.
The buttons on the steering wheel from upper left in clockwise order:
- Mode (switch between radio, CD or USB device)
- Higher volume
- Lower volume
- Button to activate the language control
- Telephone
- Wheel to switch radio stations or tracks on CD or USB device. You can also push it down to select.

6210728471_943d199a4f_o.jpg

A look through the rear window from the outside reveals, that they even put some wood on the shelf back there. The strip at the back contains the electric blinds.

6210726427_2d106df94c_o.jpg

The boot is very spacious. Lots of room for luggage in there.

Here's a video of the electric blinds in the back:

And a video of me browsing through the iDrive:

Some acceleration videos:
[video=youtube;I5K6-2SEA34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5K6-2SEA34[/video]

Two longer driving videos I call "Driver's Seat": I fixed the keychain camera with duct tape to a baseball cap and wore it.
[video=youtube;4QSgA66nz-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSgA66nz-Y[/video]
[video=youtube;iR2D9d-iFoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2D9d-iFoM[/video]

A night drive through down with me doing some errants:

I hope this review was thorough enough. If I left out something or you wanna know more, ask :)

I disagree with you on the "people who buy in this class want their car to stand out" part. It?s exactly the opposite.

Take the Audi A8 or the Pheaton. They look a lot like the A6 or the Passat, yet people buy them for exactly that reason. If you are the kind of person to buy in that kind of pricerange and you want to stand out ... you buy a Sportscar (911), Big SUV (Cayenne) or 4door coupe (Panamera - basically you buy a Porsche, and that?s exactly what people do, that?s why there are so bloody many of them). Or buy a Bentley ... or that Baby Rolls Royce. Or Jaaaaaag.
You don?t buy a german luxury sedan to stand out. You want to blend in and not attract too much attention to the fact that you are bloody rich and make shitloads of that tasty money everyone else would like a piece of ...

Last edited:
From a strict German perspective you may be right. Germans tend to hide their wealth and sometimes even are ashamed of it. In other countries, though, the display of wealth creates respect, cars like the 7er or the S-Class are considered rewards for being successful. And the foreign markets are already much more important to the carmakers, than the local German market.

But even in Germany it will be difficult for Audi or BMW to draw away customers from the S-Class with the arbitrary looks of their models.

Last edited:
Very nice review, you've covered the most interesting factors about the car. Personally, I was never a fan of the 7 series as a luxobarge, always prefered A8 or the S-class. Actually I've driven the previous generation 730d and couldn't really find a meaningful difference between it and the 5-series.

It is a really nice car, and as you said, it's strong side is Autobahn cruising. 200 kph come without effort, and it's quieter than other cars (mine for example) at half the speed. But yeah, the choice of tyres was not a good one. In fast corners, the car felt like it was swimming much more than I thought possible of a modern BMW.
I can't complain about the driver's seating position, though. Granted, I'm slim, but I'm also 190 cm tall and therefore over 185 cm. ;)

The only really annoyance during the drive was the main display being on strike. In a car that new and more importantly, in a car where you have to do just about everything by iDrive, that should really not happen.

Well, it only didn't work, while you were drving it :p No problems before or after. I wonder why that was :think:

:lol:

Last edited:
I made a one-hour Autobahn video with this car, where I cranked the backrest of the passenger seat down and put the camera on the backseat headrest.

I will spare you the complete one-hour trip (those who are interested, will find it on my YouTube channel) but I will put part 2 here, because for about 10 minutes or so I let the radar-guided cruise control drive the car during a 120 km/h speed-limit zone.

If you watch in HD and full screen mode, you can see the activity of it in the dashboard. Whenever a red car symbol appears there, the system has detected an obstacle, keeps its distance and adjusts the speed. As soon as the obstacle is out of the way, the red car symbol vanishes and the car accelerates again. Is very reliable and very relaxing, so I used the time to have a snack ;)

The period of the car driving on its own starts at about 6 minutes into the video and is also marked by the song playing.

I had set the cruise control to 140 km/h but since this is Germany and I was in a big BMW, naturally some couldn't resist overtaking me anyway - like the Golf Estate at 12:30 :p Too bad he did it right at the moment the speed limit was lifted, so he recieved some humiliation shortly after that :D For the record: Yes, he also gave full throttle.

Last edited:
I agree that the current gen 7 series and the new F10 5 series are become really hard to tell apart. I see many examples of both on the road here and if its a hard to scrutinize color and driving past, I'm often not sure which car i'm looking at until I see the tail lamps.

By the way: Here is a nice way to demonstrate the reliability of the radar-guided cruise control. The car detects the scooter without a problem and slows down acordingly:

The speed was set to 120 km/h. I switched it off, when I turned to enter the Autobahn, since I don't want the car to accelerate me to 120 km/h in the wet in a 90 km/h corner.

What do you think of the X-Drive compared to the Audi Quattro? Any difference?

Great car, but it looks like the driver has no space for himself. I know, it`s made to travel in the back, but... still weird.

I would like to read your personal review of the Panamera. Have you driven it yet ?

What do you think of the X-Drive compared to the Audi Quattro? Any difference?

Well, my impression is, that the xDrive is a bit more effective in putting the power down on the road in slippy conditions. I had the opportunity to drive an X3 for almost 2 weeks in winter and compared to the Audi A6 quattro I also had in winter, the BMW was much steadier and had more grip, when accelerating.

You can check out my review of the X3, if you like. Lots of videos in snowy and icy conditions in there.

Great car, but it looks like the driver has no space for himself. I know, it`s made to travel in the back, but... still weird.

I would like to read your personal review of the Panamera. Have you driven it yet ?

I wish... but hard to get.

Last edited:
You don?t buy a german luxury sedan to stand out. You want to blend in and not attract too much attention to the fact that you are bloody rich and make shitloads of that tasty money everyone else would like a piece of ...

A finnish politician (Teuvo Hakkarainen) has been getting shit from the media recently because he "bought a 100k eur car" and tax payer money blah bleh blah.

The car in question was a 04 Phaeton V10 TDI from germany that ended up costing him about as much as a new 1.6 liter Avensis after import fees, registration and whatnot.

I hate stupid.

Yeah, but it is mainly the yellow press that has been pushing that bit of "news". Is anyone really stupid enough to believe anything what Iltalehti (Finnish equivalent for Daily Fail) and the likes write? I mean, whatever the subject, they always blow the thing out of its proportions.

Last edited:
Well, my impression is, that the xDrive is a bit more effective in putting the power down on the road in slippy conditions. I had the opportunity to drive an X3 for almost 2 weeks in winter and compared to the Audi A6 quattro I also had in winter, the BMW was much steadier and had more grip, when accelerating.

You can check out my review of the X3, if you like. Lots of videos in snowy and icy conditions in there.

I wish... but hard to get.

I know I sound like a broken record but excellent review and photography/videography. Loved your insights.

I know you mentioned the fact that it's a bit generic looking, but I seriously think BMW got scared after the last 7 series and really dialed back on the risky styling. I actually like the current 7, but I really like the old 5 series design....a last gen 5 series still looks surprisingly modern.

About the engine noise and manual mode on the tranny: I suspect they're just overtures to the "Ultimate Driving Machine" pretenses that some buyers probably expect to find in a BMW. People likely won't care about the latter and might just equate the noise with sportiness, but erm yeah. :p

Did this 7-series have Active Steering? I'm asking because it's shocking to hear that the steering system can't compensate for crosswinds and such. Ford's with EPAS have "Pull-Drift Compensation" and "Active Nibble Control" to compensate for road and weather conditions. Mercedes uses similar functionality in their EPAS, dunno about other players.

I know I sound like a broken record but excellent review and photography/videography. Loved your insights.

I know you mentioned the fact that it's a bit generic looking, but I seriously think BMW got scared after the last 7 series and really dialed back on the risky styling. I actually like the current 7, but I really like the old 5 series design....a last gen 5 series still looks surprisingly modern.

Rick, the drag queen headlights of the last 5 are aging really badly.

Rick, the drag queen headlights of the last 5 are aging really badly.

I really don't see what's wrong with them, they look attractive imo.:dunno:

I think they look attractive too, especially on the final years.

Totally agree, there was a 2010 one on eBay that I saw that looked absolutely awesome. If I had the coin I'd consider it but it doesn't have a good safety rating (a weird anomaly for a BMW) with the driver only getting 3 stars in Govt. testing.