My personal car reviews: Opel Insignia CDTI

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
I have been curious about the Opel Insignia ever since it came out. Because it's supposed to be the car that saves Opel from bankruptcy. And on a worldwide scale it currently represents General Motors' sharpest weapon, the most competitive and most important platform. In essense the future of Opel was always connected with the success of the Insignia. It is the showcase for the current state of the art at GM for family saloons, where competition is fierce and where they have to face excellent cars from the Japanese, Korean and European carmakers all over the globe.

The Insignia carries such a heavy load of hopes and expectations, that in my opinion it is hardly possible for the Insignia to live up to them. Nevertheless the first reviews (in the middle of Opel's struggle for survival) were cheerful. But ever since the enthusiasm for the Insignia in the press has cooled down a bit. Was it arificially hyped? Also the sales numbers never really lived up to the expectations. Why?

My theory always was, that the Insignia might be a good car but that it didn't really appeal to the classic Opel clientele. The most important question therefore always was: Is this clearly identifiable as an Opel? Or is it a car, that can easily be mixed up with any Japanese or Korean brand out there?

You see, carmakers like VW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford Europe, BMW and all the French and Italian brands have something, that makes them identifiable. They have certain characteristics, that are typical for the brand, which makes it easy for the car enthusiast to tell them apart. That is something, that -- except for a few niche products -- the Asian carmakers until this day haven't been able to accomplish. They turned arbitrariness into a business model. However, a European carmaker like Opel cannot afford that. The Insignia mustn't be arbitrary.

I used to be an Opel person. My first two cars (from 1985 to 1992) were Opels - a 1979 Ascona B and a 1981 Rekord E. Those were the times, when driving a VW or an Opel was a matter of ideology, a statement.

VW drivers and Opel drivers were rivals, almost enemies. VW mechanics made fun of Opel and Opel mechanics made fun of VW. The rivalry between Golf GTI and Manta GT/E is legendary and has produced a whole sub-culture and two movies. Opels were blue collar cars, VW's were cars for suits. Opel was never supposed to be what is today called a "premium brand".

It was generally acknowledged, that Opel made the technologically inferior but more reliable cars, while VW offered the more modern but less tough products. Old school vs. new school. Old engine technology vs. new engine technology. And last but not least: Rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive.

My Opels were rear wheel drives. All good Opels have always been RWD ones. Up until the Opel Omega/Vauxhall Carlton was buried without a replacement. When Opel switched to front wheel drive, the long and painful downfall began.

So the most important question is: Is the Insignia a true Opel?

Because if it isn't, the traditional Opel customers will not understand, why they should buy the Insignia and not turn to GM's cheaper in-house competion from Chevrolet (a.k.a. rebadged Daewoos). Or at Kia or Hyundai. Because that is where many former Opel drivers went.

An Opel has to be practical, reliable, uncomplicated, safe and equipped with an uncritical road behaviour.

So, to find out about that and after some time and many passes on getting one, curiosity finally won me over. So I got this for the weekend:

6896863165_5a5322f1ed_o.jpg

6896860561_2983f0db83_o.jpg

6896858477_8fcd37e46c_o.jpg

6896855887_5f42f3fbe7_o.jpg

6896851477_dd1c844c1a_o.jpg

6896848525_bacff3d491_o.jpg

6896852845_d7fa301bf1_o.jpg

It's the 5-door version with a hatch and it's got the 2-liter 4-cylinder diesel engine with 160 HP. Gearbox is a 6-speed manual. Entry price: Around 32.000 Euros.

And this weekend I fill find out, if it is a true Opel an old Opel fan can warm up to or not.

Stay tuned. More to come.

Last edited:
My uncle got the Caravan version as a replacement for his Omega Caravan (before that he had an at least one older Omega, and a Rekord before that... yes, he's an Opel person. And yes, he's blue-collar. :D ). Nice place to sit in, but that's all I can tell. My uncle's main complain is the much smaller boot space.

All good Opels have always been RWD ones. Up until the Opel Omega/Vauxhall Carlton was buried without a replacement. When Opel switched to front wheel drive, the long and painful downfall began.
QFT

Just one thing : current 'Euro' Chevrolets are no longer rebadged Daewoo's , built in Korean ex-Daewoo plants yes, pure rebabge jobs no.
This was the case with the first Generation of euro 'Chevrolets' like the Nubira and assorted types of roling washingmachines, but things like the Cruze and Orlando actualy have the old astra platform and engines now and where designed by GM, for Chevrolet.

I can see why you would think that though, the whole rebabdged daewoo thing is one of those facts that tends to stick to people and will probable haunt the brand forever, maybee because it was the single most stupid marketingmove in the historie of automobiles since exploding Ford pinto's.

As for the insignia, the first time I actualy saw that backend I actualy went WTF.....not a good start :p

Last edited:
Here's a short clip I made this morning. It shows me trying toget a feeling for the car and its operation and also to catch a feeling of how the car is inside.
[video=youtube;-Lq1GvW9J6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lq1GvW9J6c[/video]

Last edited:
Too many buttons. Inside looks a bit like a VW product, i.e. not distinctive enough but I have not driven one so your opinion is awaited. Thought about getting one but when I got my Accord they were too new and expensive so I did not. 160 Bhp out of 2.0 Ltrs is not too shabby but not class leading I think that there are diesels that do 170 Bhp. (I may be wrong there).

So would I buy one? Well subject to a test drive and being sufficiently cheap - yes possibly, my Zafira has surprised me with costs, comfort (Again not class leading but good enough), reliability and toughness.

Last edited:
160 Bhp out of 2.0 Ltrs is not too shabby but not class leading I think that there are diesels that do 170 Bhp.

Big displacement and not many HP is an old Opel tradition :p In all fairness, though, they also offer a 2-liter biturbo version with 194 HP.

Anyway, a word or two on the first impressions I have with the car.

Actually the very first impression, when I opened the door, was a strong and rather penetrant smell of "new car", Opel style. Normally I do like the smell of a new car but not, when I am being greeted with a veritable cloud of "stingy" odor, before I even entered the car. This Insignia has a bit over 3000 km on the odometer, so it is fairly new but still...

Fortunately, though, the human sense of smell gets used to that in no time. Still makes me wonder, though, what kind of chemicals they used for the plastic.

I like the looks of the Insignia, both inside and outside. But it doesn't say "Opel" to me, despite the company logo on the steering wheel. It says "some car" to me. Materials look nice, though, and the trim quality is superb.

Anyway, entering and finding a good sitting position was rather easy. I expected problems with entering/leaving the car and the ergonomics but Opel actually did a good job with that. I have tons of headroom and legroom, it doesn't feel cramped at all in the front. The only issue I have, is that there is rather limited space to rest my left foot, because there is some bulge on the left side of the footwell:

6896902047_6eb5abefc7_o.jpg

6896899467_68f361897c_o.jpg

It's a minor flaw though, one you can get used to.

Seats are okay, nothing special but you can extend the seat squab, which is good for guys with long thighs.

The car has a lot of buttons, not all them showing clear symbols or writings of what they are supposed to do. Also the two stalks left and right to the steering wheel are too massive for my taste but again: Only minor stuff. There are no completely illogical solutions or hidden buttons (like in a Volvo), so it is just a matter of getting used to.

Alright, turning the key, the 4-pot diesel comes to life -- and also sounds like one. Which means not very nice. Don't wanna be picky, though, because VW's 4-cylinder diesels are at least as loud and clattery. However, the Opel engine is rather drony. If you take a Ford Mondeo for comparison, then Ford does the much better job with quieting down the engine.

Anyway... ride comfort.

It's actually quite good, the Insignia swallows joints in the road and potholes rather well but the general setup is nevertheless a stiff one. Which means on washboard-like road surfaces it bucks like a Golf GTI (without providing the sportiness) and when you inhale and exhale, your breathing develops a stuttering.

The steering is a bit unprecise around the middle, I am not feeling completely comfortable with it. But I guess you can get used to that, too.

What you cannot get used to, though, is the directional stability, which frankly is appalling. This might have to do with the snow tyres but other carmakers don't have that problem. At 90 km/h the car starts to wave about like a sailboat and loses its ability to drive in a straight line. The driver has to constantly correct. And that is without crosswinds adding to the problem!

Thus on the Autobahn this car is not much fun. At 210 km/h you actually break out in sweat, because you constantly have to correct the direction, the car behaves as if it is drunk. It almost feels like all 4 tyres are nearly flat. That is really bad, Opel, snow tyres or not. Do not like.

Also the sound insulation could be better. Not only from the engine bay but also for chassis noise. There is quite some rambling and banging coming from the wheels, when they go over a bumpy road. You're constantly being informed acoustically about the condition of the road. My 11-year-old Golf can do that, too.

All that noise spoils the impression of the really good trim quality a bit. This car is well-made. Nothing's rattling, fizzing or cracking even on the worst of roads.

At least so far, with only 3000 km on the odometer. I say that, because I have a suspicion that it won't last for to long. Because attention to detail concerning quality doesn't seem to go that deep. I noticed, that the flap for the ashtray was left open and wanted to close it. It didn't. I tried again and again but it wouldn't close. Until I examined the flap closer and found, that one layer of plastic has alrady loosened and prevents the flap from getting closed (see pink arrow and hightlighted area):

6896890119_df7641fd46_o.jpg

How the hell does something like that happen? Bad glue?

That's it for now. More impressions later. Until then some more pics:

6896866433_b53e101878_o.jpg

6896868999_916d808293_o.jpg

6896876689_6c7dbc8eb8_o.jpg

I like the cockpit design. I really do.

6896874291_d73cd85ebb_o.jpg

6896879109_aa8fd7dd99_o.jpg

6896881545_e33ddb00b5_o.jpg

6896883695_dca451ba10_o.jpg

I cannot help myself but the red/orange display between the dials looks kinda cheap to me

6896888507_c4df5a806f_o.jpg

The tarnished plastic still looks fine but I have a feeling, that sweaty fingers will sooner or later leave traces on them.

6896892813_f9ca0f5149_o.jpg

6896894565_1f76d0e497_o.jpg

6896896709_37669d16da_o.jpg

Steering wheel is nice and grippy but lacks some precision.

6896903953_b9b93a9280_o.jpg

Last edited:
for me, the best version of this car was the practically still born SAAB 9-5. It looks very very nice indeed. But SAAB are now gone. Hopefully the ones that were sold end up for cheap in the classifieds.

160bhp isn't too bad. I've heard the engine still feels a bit breathless and limp though. VAG will sell you a 2.0TDi in an Audi with 140 or 170bhp. Same with the Passat. The efficient versions tend to stick with the lower power unit. BMW will give you a 3er with nearly 180 though and even their efficient dynamics machines match the insignia with 163bhp. The lexus IS220d also has around 180. 160 is pretty middle of the road now and even the lower segment cars will have this sort of power (again VAG will sell you an A3, Golf, Octy with 170bhp TDI and Honda are now up to 150bhp in the civic)

Apparently the SAAB 95 needed the twin turbo version to feel as fast as it should. I guess the insignia is a heavy car... It certainly looks thick set.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, that the engine in this Insignia has a noticable turbo lag, big enough to make it difficult for you to start rolling in 2nd gear, when you turn around a tight corner. It has some nice grunt until 4000 rpm, though, and accelertes quite well, but after that it falls in a hole and loses any power.

All in all it is still a very old-school diesel but all the 4-cylinder diesels I know, still have these problems. I think the VAG 2.0 liter engine is even a bit worse.

Actually looks quite nice inside, but too many compromises:

I still think that there are way too many buttons - voice command on board?

Opel\Vauxhall have been in catch up with their diesel engines for some times - Ford, FIAT, Puegeot and Honda (Got one of these 2.2Ltr. - nice) are all better 4 pots.

Petrol engines have a decent chance, especially since the price difference between diesel and petrol has been reduced over time. Diesel still is king for those who drive a lot though, cheaper to run then.

Let me talk about practicality now. As an Opel, it should be practical.

As I already mentioned, there is enough space in the front. Job done. No further comment necessary.

However, in the back things look a bit different. Because with me in the front, the legroom for the backseat passengers shrinks dramatically:

6896871679_80f59e985f_o.jpg

I actually went in there to take some pictures and I could barely get my legs in. For more than a few minutes it would be torture. Compare this with a VW Passat and you'll see, that these are different worlds. Surprisingly there is enough headroom in the back, though.

Next thing: Bootspace. In this 5-door version with the hatch, the Insignia has a spacious boot. However, it wastes a lot of volume and practicality with its flat nature and a rather narrow hatch, as these pictures demonstrate:

6896839687_91627fef18_o.jpg

6896842789_264e54f922_o.jpg

6896845777_636822481d_o.jpg

Let me put it straight: I can put four crates of Coke in the trunk of my Golf without any problem. The trunk of the Insignia is deep enough for four crates, too, but then you could't close the hatch. So only two of them fit. And I put the shopping bag into there to demonstrate, that the trunk doesn't have the height to load some bigger stuff. But the classic Opel driver transports a lot with his car, so this is clearly a massive minus point.

The biggest minus point of them all, though, and to me the one that kills my enthusiasm for the Insignia, is outside visibility. To cut it short: Inside the Insignia you feel like being in a bunker with crenels to look out. This is particularly bad for the backseat passengers, because they must feel like being in a cave:

6896886063_2b1ba07e8e_o.jpg

This place is nothing for people with agoraphobia.

To demonstrate the visibility problem, let me paste a picture from above again:

6896848525_bacff3d491_o.jpg

Notice the mask around the rear window? That is the actual field of view you have. It's ridiculous. To make things worse, this Insignia comes without parking sensors, which means they are an optional extra. They are essential in this car, though, and having to pay extra for them is like having to pay extra for the rear view mirror. When I bring the car back, I will ask them, what kind of a sadist ordered a car with such an abyssmal rear view without parking sensors. Driving backwards becomes a guessing game, when - like in the picture above - it has rained and the rear window is covered in water drops.

When you want to move out of a parking space backwards, you basically have to move very slowly and hope, that other drivers see you and brake or honk to announce their presence. The only way to tell, how close you are to the curb, is panning down the side mirror and alternate between looking into that and trying to make anything out through the back window. It's quite an exercise for elderly people with neck problems (like many Opel drivers are).

The rear view isn't the only thing that's blocked. The A-pillar in combination with the side mirror also cuts off what feels like half a square meter of your view to the right (or the left, if it is a RHD car) and the compulsory sensor array on the windscreen is also way too large and blocks some view in the center of the window.

I decided to give this car grades in each category. "1" means good, "2" means so and so and "3" means bad.

Design and appeal: 1
Usability: 2
Engine: 2
Gearbox/Clutch: 1
Comfort: 2
Road behaviour: 3
Handling: 2
Practicality: 3
Build quality: 1
Overall quality impression: 2

I didn't bother to check on the fuel consumption yet. But since it is a 2-liter diesel, it won't drink much, that's for sure.

As a conclusion, I have to say, that the Opel Insignia is an ok car. But not more. I see, what Opel intended with it. It is supposed to give the brand a new image, a new appeal. But I'm afraid it lost its "Opelness" in the process. It could also be a car from any Asian manufacturer. Or from Ford. But Ford makes cars with a much better road behaviour and ride comfort.

The Insignia can convince in some categories but in others it is really bad. So in the end it's an ambivalent impression I've got. There is light and shadow equally spread. Unfortunately the bad things are too important for me to say, that I can imagine owning this car. It's just a guess but I suppose that many people, classical Opel drivers even, won't feel at home in this car right after they entered it in the dealer's showroom and that this is one of the main reasons its success is not as big as Opel hoped.

The Opel Insignia is overall well-made inside but as an Opel driver, you don't feel at home in it. They threw practicality overboard for design reasons. And that doesn't make it a true Opel.

Last edited:
I've always wondered why I never see nearly as many insignias on the road as I've seen Vectras over the years and now I got my answer. That bunker of an interior doesn't really look very well thought out.

I'd still like a turbo 4x4 model though, I'll just let depreciation work its magic for a few more years :)

Another excellent review, well done! Now my usual annoying thoughts: :p

I wonder how you'd feel with the Buick variant of the Insignia, the Regal? The Buick's suspension sounds a tad more forgiving over bumps while remaining pretty "euro" in feel, plus the extra insulation and laminated windows in the Buick might make it quieter and more refined than the car you drove. Steering sounds about the same as you described in your review based on the ones I read: ok but needs to be less light and more communicative to truly compete with the TSX's (accord euro) of the world.

A shame that the details in the interior weren't up to par, to me that's pretty important, of course since its a rental who knows how it was treated...

Not offering parking sensors and a rear wiper on a car with that poor rear visibility is criminal, I'd argue that a backup camera should be standard...why be cheap GM? The sedan is likely better in this regard.

Last edited:
The sedan and also the estate are naturally better in that discipline. The 4-door sedan doesn't look as good as the 5-door hatchback.

To be honest, it only makes sense to buy the estate. My review would probably have been much better then. Still, even with the practicality issues out of the picture, the car is rather disappointing with its bad road behaviour, which could be the snow tyres but I very much doubt that it's only their fault.

I didn't even know they made a sedan version, but apparently they did. I've probably never noticed because its side profile is so similar to the hatchback.

They look almost identical but due to the lack of a hatch, the 4-door version doesn't have that mask around the rear window.

6901545845_a71c205f7c_o.jpg

4-door (on top) and 5-door (below) in comparison

Last edited: