Ownership Verified: My Porsche EV Wagen (2021 Taycan Cross Turismo 4S)

It's generally not a popular thing in most US cuties.
Sorry to hear about the window thing but I needed to point this amusing typo out. Tell me more about American cuties!

When washing my car I checked the rear tire wear and found they already hit the wear bars at 17K miles.
PSX_20231018_141059.jpg

My car came with Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S and I've been wanting to ditch them for some proper summer performance rubber for a while.

Called up my local go to tire shop and ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires:
PSX_20231018_140900.jpg

So far road noise and ride comfort are excellent, and once I've driven a couple hundred miles I plan to drive them harder to see how much better cornering grip is. From what I've read and testimonials from other Taycan owners the PS4 grip is great and just fractionally less than the Michelin PS4S tires, but with superior road noise, treadwear and rolling resistance for efficiency 👍🏼

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Fingers crossed they don’t develop the weird resonance that mine are showing… mine are super loud now, I’m actually looking forward to switching to winters soon. may originally have been an alignment issue and I had that checked, but maybe I had a weird wear-pattern by then already. Tbh ill be happy if I can ditch them for something else. Then again my use is very different from yours I’d say: I drive like a granny, so my ps4 have like 55k km on them and are far from done…

interesting, what actual range do you get from that?
Mine has claimed 480+ kms/300+ miles but so far I've never gone beyond 285 and thats with a lot of max 100 kph driving (Dutch roads)
I assume you have the "small" 79kwh battery in the Porker? In that case you'd have used an average of 17kwh/100 kms, which is excellent....
Even if it's the bigger battery you'd still "only" end up at 20 kwh/100 kms which is still okay in such a big, powerful car

/unrelated =>
I never quite understood the m/kwh or mpg thing, how is a bigger number using less petrol/electricity. It puzzles me.
To me it's the "cheap" argument of saying "let's only put 1 kwh in the battery/1 liter/gallon in the tank and see how far it gets me".
Whereas I go, just fill it up, drive a set distance like 100 kms, and fill it up again to see how much it took me to drive those 100 kms...

Wh/km master race! :poop:
... I don't get mpg either.

wasn't one of the outcries when porsche launched the taycan that the EPA rated range seemed super low? and then in real world driving people were actually regularly exceeding that? in a tesla, there is no GOM (guess-o-meter) - the stated range doesn't take into account past/current driving/consumption in any way and always just uses a fixed consumption (which, in my case, because i do like 80% autobahn driving, tends to be a little low). I can sort of see the arguments for both, tbh, but i just never look at that number, ever. why would I care?

interesting, what actual range do you get from that?
Mine has claimed 480+ kms/300+ miles but so far I've never gone beyond 285 and thats with a lot of max 100 kph driving (Dutch roads)
I assume you have the "small" 79kwh battery in the Porker? In that case you'd have used an average of 17kwh/100 kms, which is excellent....
Even if it's the bigger battery you'd still "only" end up at 20 kwh/100 kms which is still okay in such a big, powerful car

/unrelated =>
I never quite understood the m/kwh or mpg thing, how is a bigger number using less petrol/electricity. It puzzles me.
To me it's the "cheap" argument of saying "let's only put 1 kwh in the battery/1 liter/gallon in the tank and see how far it gets me".
Whereas I go, just fill it up, drive a set distance like 100 kms, and fill it up again to see how much it took me to drive those 100 kms...
I'm hitting 85-90% of my max range estimates. It's fairly accurate and honest, unlike Tesla range estimates.

My car, being European, gives the option to display E motor efficency in different unit options: mi/kWh, km/kWh, kW/100 mi, kW/100km

Attachments

• PSX_20230416_083800.jpg
    PSX_20230416_083800.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • PSX_20230416_083736.jpg
    PSX_20230416_083736.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Update after a few hundred miles on the Pilot Sport 4 tires:

Very happy with the new rubber, they are in fact more quiet than my Pirelli A/S tires and there is zero change in range efficiency. Still need to drive them hard to appreciate the improved grip and dry traction. 👍🏻

Update after a few hundred miles on the Pilot Sport 4 tires:
Oh, one question on those: did you get the variant with the foam inserts for lower noise? I didn't, back in the day, and am wondering whether those actually do anything or are just marketing spiel to pad the margins...

Oh, one question on those: did you get the variant with the foam inserts for lower noise? I didn't, back in the day, and am wondering whether those actually do anything or are just marketing spiel to pad the margins...

You're probably conflating the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires with the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires (those come with the foam inserts):

I read multiple user reviews from EV owners running the PS EV tires and many reviews were generally displeased with them. Noisy, not terribly impressive grip for Sport summer tires, and too many reports of the sound deadening foam coming loose inside the tires and causing awful vibrations.

I opted for the regular Pilot Sport 4, which are like a slightly 'down on performance version of the Pilot Sport 4S (the difference is marginal if you don't plan to use them driving on the edge or on the track} but with much better tread wear, road noise and comfort. So basically perfect for my needs on the Taycan.

You're probably conflating the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires with the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires (those come with the foam inserts):
Huh, alright then… mine (also regular PS4) are already 4 years old, but back then there was a PS4 Variant with foam inserts that was at that time the standard tire model 3 were delivered with. there was no dedicated EV tire yet, so I guess that’s the explanation. Fair enough then.

Huh, alright then… mine (also regular PS4) are already 4 years old, but back then there was a PS4 Variant with foam inserts that was at that time the standard tire model 3 were delivered with. there was no dedicated EV tire yet, so I guess that’s the explanation. Fair enough then.
I have the same PS4 variant on the 2023 Model 3, they have the „T1“ suffix in the model name. And had the same with PS4S on the old car. When those wore out, I got the „normal“ variant and noticed basically no difference, except it was half the price :rolleyes: Non-foamed Goodyear all-seasons that I run now are also not any louder than the stock foamed PS4 summers.

Dropped my car off at dealership for 1st scheduled 2 year/20k service and finally got a Macan loaner vehicle that wasn't a boring black or silver color:

IMG_20231218_105033.jpg

IMG_20231218_105043.jpg

For anyone curious the 1st service consist of mostly: brake fluid change, replacing cabin air filter, wiper blades (front/rear) PCM software update, and an overpriced multi point inspection (that made up half the cost of the service).

As documented in this thread I replaced my own tires recently so that was non issue and my brake pads and rotors were barely touched with about 80% of my braking done with regen. The dealership tried to charge me an extra $700 for a 4 wheel alignment and I was like NOPE.. take that off the work list.

For anyone curious the 1st service consist of mostly: brake fluid change, replacing cabin air filter, wiper blades (front/rear) PCM software update, and an overpriced multi point inspection (that made up half the cost of the service).

As documented in this thread I replaced my own tires recently so that was non issue and my brake pads and rotors were barely touched with about 80% of my braking done with regen. The dealership tried to charge me an extra $700 for a 4 wheel alignment and I was like NOPE.. take that off the work list.
At least it seems they are setting fairly reasonable service intervals - Some others are setting service intervals like ICE cars ... Which is stupid.

I opted for foam inserts last time I bought winter tires, Good Year Ultragrip Ice 2. I don’t understand why this is marketed as an EV option when everyone benefits from it. I will probably get goodyears with foam for summer too next time.