Ownership Verified: My Porsche EV Wagen (2021 Taycan Cross Turismo 4S)

Found a solution to my panoramic glass roof in the sun issue. I got a custom made heatshield that fits my roof within 98% accuracy and does a great job blocking out the glare of the summer sun especially when parked outdoor all day.

IMG_20220805_180019.jpg

IMG_20220805_180027.jpg

IMG_20220805_181344.jpg

IMG_20220805_181320.jpg

Yes it's not the most attractive solution but it's 100% functional and very effective. Now I can take my naps in peace when parked at a public fast charger 👍🏼

There's no built in sunshade?

Great solution for that!
I still refuse to get one of those tihngs because of the way it looks... and rather get my head cooked by the heat radiated off the panoramic roof despite having the car cool down half an hour before setting off :| yeah i'm an idiot.

I still refuse to get one of those tihngs because of the way it looks... and rather get my head cooked by the heat radiated off the panoramic roof despite having the car cool down half an hour before setting off :| yeah i'm an idiot.
haha, I hope it's improved on the newer cars :D

Luckily I am not and am comfortable and happy as a result 👍🏼

Last edited:
haha, I hope it's improved on the newer cars :D
I honestly don't quite know how they would improve it. You can only do so much with the coating of the glass and suchlike... the glass itself will still heat up like crazy and and up radiating that heat away somehow. Really the only sensible solution is to have some sort of sunshade to cover it.

Glad I'm not the only one baffled by that

All the more luxury EV manufacturers have this problem, Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, etc... they sell these EVs with fixed full length panoramic glass roofs with no mechanical retractable sunshade and it's annoying. It's a trend I don't like and I think is catered towards Americans who think sitting constantly exposed under the sun is a great thing.

All the more luxury EV manufacturers have this problem, Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, etc... they sell these EVs with fixed full length panoramic glass roofs with no mechanical retractable sunshade and it's annoying. It's a trend I don't like and I think is catered towards Americans who think sitting constantly exposed under the sun is a great thing.
My buddy with a Model 3 hopped on an Amazon sunshade because we live in Florida and he wasn't a fan of being fried like bacon in his own car.

Found a solution to my panoramic glass roof in the sun issue. I got a custom made heatshield that fits my roof within 98% accuracy and does a great job blocking out the glare of the summer sun especially when parked outdoor all day.

View attachment 3566217

View attachment 3566218

View attachment 3566219

View attachment 3566220

Yes it's not the most attractive solution but it's 100% functional and very effective. Now I can take my naps in peace when parked at a public fast charger 👍🏼

The sunshade looks functional, good job.
I still wonder why its not a even an option, my ev has full roof glass and a flimsy electric sunshade, and its godsent when car is left parked out in the sun.

The sunshade looks functional, good job.
I still wonder why its not a even an option, my ev has full roof glass and a flimsy electric sunshade, and its godsent when car is left parked out in the sun.
In Europe they give customers the option to either choose a pano glass roof OR solid metal roof for all 3 versions of the Taycan (sedan, cross turismo, sport Turismo) but in the US they only give sedan customers that option and ALL the sport wagons come with the pano glass roof no choice. 👎🏽

In Europe they give customers the option to either choose a pano glass roof OR solid metal roof for all 3 versions of the Taycan (sedan, cross turismo, sport Turismo) but in the US they only give sedan customers that option and ALL the sport wagons come with the pano glass roof no choice. 👎🏽
I would take the pano roof regardless

Again. This would not be a problem if the world's largest auto manufacturer apparently could figure out a sunshade...except they already did on other cars.

I would take the pano roof regardless
If I lived somewhere with a LOT more overcast days and rain, yeah I wouldn't mind the pano glass roof as much but living in what is essentially a desert climate the oppressive never ending summer time sun gets old really fast for some of us.

I hadn't thought of that problem before, but a pano roof would be a no-go for me. Where I live we have sunshine probably over 90% of the days of the year and summer temps are regularly over 110F.

In a hilarious bit of level 2 charger adapter-ception today. Was charging up in the parking garage at a local mall, row of Charge point level 2 chargers and a single Tesla lvl 2 destination charger (all free for mall customers during normal business hours).

PSX_20220815_114459.jpg

I used the Tesla lvl 2 charger at the end of the row for the hell of it:

So my car + Tesla adapter on Destination charger

Tesla Model 3 + J1772 adapter on a Chargepoint lvl 2

PSX_20220815_114550.jpg

I’m still flabbergasted by Tesla sticking with their bloody proprietary connector in the US… seems utterly insane to me.

I’m still flabbergasted by Tesla sticking with their bloody proprietary connector in the US… seems utterly insane to me.

Cost reasons I guess, similar to Sony or Apples strategy of proprietary everything

Yeah, and by now I would argue also a bit of “in too deep” - can’t make the change anymore now, too many cars with the proprietary connector on the road. At least they’re offering those adapters a bit more now.

Seems their timing of entering European markets and deciding on using type2 (J1772 equivalent with 3 phase) standard and later CCS with introduction of the model 3 in 2019 was sort of just late enough to save us from that particular headache… very happy about that!

Still, no adapter shenanigans like in your picture 🤣