My Race Car for 2010

Don't know if anyone runs them as track day rentals over your side of the world. Understandably they're quite popular over here, and it's well worth the money if you can find someone who'll rent you one for the day, but I strongly recommend giving one a whirl sometime :)

I will be doing some time with an Ariel Atom in a week or so and I assume that's fairly similar, but yes, I've always been a huge fan of the 7's and do plan to get one eventually. Unless the Atom wins me over, in which case I might get one of those instead.

The Atom is a great car. Not quite as well developed as the Caterham, but it's definitely of the same sort of idea. You do tend to notice the fact the engine is right by the rear axel more (they really like to oversteer) whereas the Caterham tends more to mild mid corner understeer which can be overcome with a jab of the throttle! Ultimately the Caterham is a faster track car lap for lap, but the Atom is probably a bit more of a challenge/playful, and the supercharged Atom is well known for being mentally unhinged!

Awesome Mike, that's a really great thing you got there.

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I posted on here, but a brief note to say that I kind of made it!

During the season I posted about here 3 years ago (Tracksports) I raced against a guy in my team who had been sponsored by a local company. He did considerably better than I did that season (almost won the championship in his first year), but I got on well with him and his sponsor. So by the end of 2012 I was thinking of packing it in. I'd had 3 enjoyable seasons of racing (2 more than I'd originally thought I could 'afford'!), narrowly missed out on a championship, but had some good races and made some good friends and collected a few trophies.

It seemed, however, that the sponsor had other ideas. My (now) teamate Terry, was moving up to Superlight R300s which required a new car, so incredibly he offered me the Tracksport to race in the Supersports championship with a few upgrades. I still paid some of the costs, but he helped me out enough for me to continue.

ZolderKerbHoppingSmall_zps43e9199f.jpg~original

Jumping the kerbs at Zolder last year

To cut a long story short, I did two seasons in Supersport and was Vice Champion in 2013 and Champion (woohoo!) last year in 2014. Meanwhile, my teammate almost (again!) managed to win the Superlight R300 championsip in 2013, but then had endless car issues in 2014 and finished 5th. With the problems he was having, and no clear route for me that would avoid us racing each other directly (something our sponsor was keen not to have happen) we had a bit of a think (nee dream) about what we should do next.

Winning_zpsa75695a9.jpg

Winning the Championship at Silverstone

And so here we are. After testing an Aston Martin Vantage GT4 in May last year, we actually managed to gather a proposal together that worked for him! 2 years on from almost packing it in, myself and my teammate are getting ourselves prepped for a season in British GT.....something I dreamt about 7 years ago when I used to play against a load of the LFSers on here!

GT4VantageFinalRearSmall_zps90a2bb0e.jpg~original

Rendering of the 2015 GT4 Car

http://www.britishgt.com/newsitem.php?key=2277

If you're interested, follow me on Twiter @MHRacing or my team mate @TerryLangley73 and come and say hi to me if you're coming to a race!

Last edited:
Whoa, massive congrats on the wins and upgrades!

That's incredible. Congratulations, a thousand times over. :cheers:

I'm just amazed it panned out how it did.....and also gutted this type of thing doesn't happen to everyone! I've made so many good friends during my 5 years of racing, many of whom are also fantastic drivers.

Genuinely, racing on the old Final Gear Live For Speed server that had a load of people from here on it taught me a lot of what I know about racing! I think Tristan Cliffe used to be one of them, and I believe he won one of the club F3 Champs last year in the UK :)

Amazing! Congrats; I'm gonna follow you on Twitter for sure!

Congratulations! That's so cool :D

Question about the Aston though, is that transmission as slow as it sounds?

It's still the AMT, which means a single clutch automated manual. It's no worse than an actual manual, but it's certainly no DSG or full blown sequential. Thing is, it's got so much torque anyway, it doesn't make a huge difference, and since everything in GT4 get's 'Balance of Performance' applied to it, it doesn't really matter!