Unverified Ownership My summer fling: 2018 Miata Club

altoid

I donated for the custom title. Suck it.
Car(s)
‘14 Mazderp3, ‘22 Checkpoint SL 5
This classy lady will keep me company for a week or so. She's a 2018 Club manual (with the 2l engine we got), and she's a hell of a ride.

This is an acquaintance's car. He's considering upsizing to the 86 platform, and I suggested a swap. He gets an extended test drive, and I get to engage in a brief affair—win-win!

Garage pics:
5caDqOJ.jpg

0TQnz9Q.jpg

Proof:
AmD63kI.jpg

After a few days of street and canyon driving, I wanted to share some impressions. They're largely comparisons to my BRZ.

Things I like better about the Miata:
Convertible: Topless, baby! See below pic for why that's relevant.
Shifter: The shifter is super nice. The BRZ's is very nice as well, but this one is just otherwordly.
Grip: The car is wearing Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. The Michelin Primacy crap I have is no match for this setup (and isn't meant to be).
Noise: There's a Racing Beat muffler installed which adds a bit of character. I like that it's not too loud, but sounds nice.
Torque: (Go ahead, take that shot.) I don't even know that there's more of it, but it certainly feels more adequate. Easy to lazily lug putt around low in the rev range.
Multiple personalities: As I've said before, the Miata can be a lovely cruiser as well as a sports car, while the BRZ only knows how to go hard.

Things I like better about the BRZ:
Hardtop: Not topless. No pic of my arms, but I look like I'm wearing red arm warmers.
Creature comforts: I'm spoiled by CarPlay, auto lights, HomeLink…
Room: My knees actually fit.
Looks: The Miata is certainly a looker, but it doesn't tingle my special spots the way the BRZ does.

Things that are a wash:
Fun: These two are merely different flavors of ice cream. We all have our preferences, but both are utterly awesome in the end.
Spirited driving: This is really an expansion on the above, but they're both a great choice for the occasional canyon run. Personal fitment issues aside, that is.

Random thoughts:
• No ragerts about getting the BRZ instead of this.
• Now I do want to modify the BRZ… Tune + exhaust + wheels + tires + suspension would go a long, long way…
• This thing is amusingly close to my old flame: black, topless, and 6-speed! Just the way I like my wom—wait, what?

And now…pictures!

Tuna Canyon Rd., worth the traffic I had to endure before and after:
rPNsDYN.jpg

6ULs—NEED for the BRZ:
EkZHROw.jpg

(NEED!)

Interesting thing about the torque: the Miata has just 8lb-ft less, but it arrives 1800rpm sooner.
Also the Miata must be around 450lbs lighter. Food for thought.

Great little comparison between the BRZ and the Miata! Based on your thoughts, I'd go for the Miata, but the BRZ would be a better option if I needed a bit more space.

Also, it's nice that you get to drive a roadster for the summer! Although you do have to take into consideration that it's way easier to get sunburned in a convertible...

I totally agree with you, having test driven an 86 before I bought the MX-5. The Toyota is high-energy all of the time, something about the car makes it feel like you have to wring it out every gear (and it is fun to do so). I decided on the MX-5 because it was able to settle down for the daily commute and at least pretend to be a normal car.

I totally agree with you, having test driven an 86 before I bought the MX-5. The Toyota is high-energy all of the time, something about the car makes it feel like you have to wring it out every gear (and it is fun to do so). I decided on the MX-5 because it was able to settle down for the daily commute and at least pretend to be a normal car.
I expected it to be reversed: MX-5 being the over-excited puppy and the GT86/BRZ the sensible sportscar.

Interesting thing about the torque: the Miata has just 8lb-ft less, but it arrives 1800rpm sooner.

Also the Miata must be around 450lbs lighter. Food for thought.

That's what I meant by "adequate". Now I feel like my car could use a few extra torques.

Also, it's nice that you get to drive a roadster for the summer! Although you do have to take into consideration that it's way easier to get sunburned in a convertible...

Literally the first thing I did was fry both my arms…

Yep, that really about sums it up. I wonder if a bit more low-end torque would calm the 86 platform down. As it is, I feel like I have to wring it out just to get it to move, and the same isn't at all true with the ND.

I expected it to be reversed: MX-5 being the over-excited puppy and the GT86/BRZ the sensible sportscar.

Yeah, definitely not. The Miata has a few "friendly" features:
• engine isn't quite as high-strung, both in terms of not revving as high and having more low-end torque
• body roll is comfortable, when controlled
• seating position is less jet fighter cockpit and more, uhh, well, car

Last edited:
Having driven all four generations of MX5 I reckon the ND is about perfect apart from the slightly numb electric power steering.

Sadly I have yet to get my hands on Toybaru to see what all the fuss is about and while I could blag myself a test drive dealerships in this country are so anal you barely get 10 minutes in a car before they expect you to commit to a 5 figure purchase.

It has one, just not where people are used to looking for it. :p
And it even fits two pairs of gloves!

Nah, he's talking about that storage bin between the seats that we also have in addition to the proper glovebox in the proper location for a glovebox :)

The “our own car reviews” thread is over there—->