Ownership Verified: My Third "First" Bike... [1995 Suzuki GS500E]

Der Stig

Panda Proselytizer
DONOR
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
So, as some of you know, I have sold my old flame ( :drums: ) and moved on.

Getting tied up and taken away.
pODC63H.jpg

That was Tuesday.

Yesterday, (Thursday), this happened :D

A 1995 Suzuki GS500E appeared on CL for $60 more than I sold my GS for. This one runs, is titled, inspected and fully functional. Even the tires, chain and sprocket are new. It also has a Works Performance adjustable rear shock which, once adjusted, should sort out the handling :D
6DLI3oT.jpg

No proof pic yet, but for now, here's me looking like a crazy critter
9KC04zu.jpg

30,000-odd miles on it. Dude that owned it was an ex-racer from the '80s and '90s.
x2HZaZ5.jpg

After unloading it and riding it to the garage
WvVMSuK.jpg

Why I'm not riding the crap out of it as we speak
e6CV9E8.jpg

It's been sitting since October, so the gas is crudy and the tank has some rust and needs to be boiled out. The gauge cluster is also damaged, but I've already ordered parts to replace the cracked housing and we'll need to do the bulbs as well.

I'm very happy with this purchase and can't wait to put some miles on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nasty gas tank!

Also, I fully approve. Love the sound of that engine. :thumbsup:

Yup, this one's rideable and it doesn't look like it wants to go on fire. :p

Good looking machine :thumbsup:

It sure is nice to have one that runs, I know I went through a couple of first bikes before I finally had one (the CB750) that actually ran properly and didn't mark its territory like a 1947 knucklehead.

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. Here's some more pictures from Sunday. I added the saddlebags from crazyjeeper and argatoga (thanks, by the way).

KdLi3es.jpeg

More parts have been ordered to bring the thing up to speed on maintenance; carb kits and some various trim and rubber pieces. It will also soon have two mirrors :p

And a proof pic with this disgusting thing that was immediately ripped off that was covering the shifter:
0xKn9rX.jpeg

Last edited:
Small update: I've put roughly 50 miles on it as of yesterday (whee) and now the tank has been removed to reveal pod filters and, yes, JB Weld on the tank :p

So I've ordered an airbox and some other replacement parts. I'll probably end up having to order a replacement tank too, but they're at least cheap.

Carb rebuild kits are also on the way, so hopefully, this thing'll be highway worthy in a week.

251EXT4.jpg

The purple has arrived. Did I mention I got it cheap? :p

Notably, the carbs, as we found out, actually don't need to be rebuilt. The airbox I ordered has arrived and now I've just got a couple of hoses that I'm waiting on.

Last edited:
It lives!

We finished the "The Bruise" Sunday night and I rode around 20 miles on my own only stalling it twice :lol: Now that the bike has a choke and idles around 1,500 as opposed to 3,000, I have to rev it a bit more off the line.

With view from hippy plow.
4JNA4iA.jpeg

Now it just needs an oil change and to be ridden home.

Another update:

Ordered a tank bag from MotorcycleGear.com on closeout for cheap and we've discovered the idle is still a bit wonky.

I've fed the bike some more Seafoam to no avail, the choke is not particularly cooperative below 1/3 and will cut out if left idling for more than a minute. So, it's either that or idling around 3k :rolleyes:

And for everyone's amusement, I did the classic "herp derp, my bike won't stay running!" call to Spectre, worried that the carbs or something got fucked.

"Switch to RES."
"Okay." *switches* "...It fired right up."

:lol:

Finally got the carbs done after two late nights. Murphy paid us a visit and made an o-ring disappear into the abyss. Only to be found the next day on one of the diaphragms :lol:

It is amazing how much better a bike runs when you overhaul its carbs and replace the incorrectly sized O-rings some prior idiot stuck in there.

In other related news, Mikuni CV carbs suck - give me Keihin CVs any day.

Carbthulu!
gBnJITF.jpg

The bike runs a treat now. I've gone over 2,000 miles now, too. :)

I just passed 3,000 miles last night. And I also acquired a parts bike :D

Found it on CL for $150, got it for $140.

The ride home. The Corbin seat on the back is worth almost as much as what I got it for, even in it's current condition.
P7V9Sh4.jpg

PFxk3tJ.jpg

Back at the shop with gas cap removal tool in action :p
YTSNsK8.jpg

dCttCwgh.jpg

SGyF1Fph.jpg

How do the carbs look?
7VronKJh.jpg

Oh.
9bxvksuh.jpg

PUpGVu7h.jpg

"It turns over jus' fine" "Uh huh."
4RbKwVbh.jpg

After stripping it down
TWDvAPPh.jpg

So I'll be harvesting the exhaust ($80), the seat (if I can fix it, $140), some miscellaneous hardware ($40), the more desirable gray wheels ($150), cleaning out the tank as it was sadly filled with rust ($150) and then dumpsterizing the engine and carbs. The forks are relatively new, although the seals are shot, but I'll at least have some replacements ($150). The poor bike was neglected and was at one time, a very nice little machine.

The bike's already paid for itself, so I'm quite pleased.

That guy we picked it up from is probably still chuckling to himself at the city boys he 'took' with that ruined engine/carb/etc.

Wow, that looked almost as bad as the old 850 :p

Alas, we left the parts bike in the Volcano alone too long and it was devoured by hungry Jaguars. All that was left was the frame and engine, which we have sent off for 'burial.' :p

In other news, the old GS850G tank (the one that was made mostly out of JB Weld epoxy) that was originally slated to be taken to the range and shot was spared that fate due to ammo availability and costs issues. Instead we ran it over with the F-350. :D Pictures soon.