My trunk gets wet when it rains and i found big cockroaches in it.

sdvliz353

Car(s)
2000 Honda Civic
My trunk gets wet when it rains and i recently found huge cockroaches in it. ugh!!! can it be because the trunk its wet?? Help!!! i'm freaking out with the roaches :(:(:cry:

sounds like your average 13yo honda to me :p

I'd suspect water and roaches are entering from the same place. Also, I recommend cleaning out whatever you have/had in there: coffee cups, wrappers, moldy food, petrified french fries, etc.

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
You gonna get get get get it wet
Get get get it wet get it wet

What should'ya do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
Id'a get get get get out
Get it all thrown out now

Getta getta get it out, get it out of your trunk.

Your trunk, your trunk, your wet Civic trunk,
Your trunk, your trunk, your soggy Civic trunk,
Dry it out!

Check the weather stripping around the edge of the trunk. Also, keeping your car clean goes a long way.

It's probably a leaky taillight housing. It's very common on that generation of Civic. It's a pretty easy fix. You have to remove the taillight and install new weather stripping then reinstall the taillight.

As for the roaches... well, I'm not sure... they are probably just getting in through the interior of the car, but I don't really have a solution for that.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got palmetto bugs. Ditto on replacing the weatherstripping, cleaning out the trunk, and spraying it thoroughly with bug spray.

If your honda is 13 years old, check the seals of the trunk. While rust is not a major issue anymore these days, rubber seals are usually completely knackered after 13 years. Also check whether water assembles in the tail lights, that's another source of water leaking it. And third, do you have condensation on the windows on the inside? Happened to me and my knackered old Peugeot (although I should've been shot for buying such a thing in the first place.

The best thing you can do is really cleaning and drying out the car. Make sure you got any food bits out that the roaches might find yummy. The best way to really dry a car is finding a garage that has a paint shop. They have really strong heaters, which can dry out a car in a matter of 2 hours. Shouldn't be too expensive.