My US roadtrip + NYC stay: want to help out with some travel tips?

haz

I AM OT!
Car(s)
Tesla Model S 75D BMW E39 Wagon
So I'm going back to the US this summer, just for a few weeks :D

Haven't been back since 2001 and before that I stayed a year between 97-98 at a host family in IL.

I land at JFK july 31. st and I plan on picking up a rental car right away and head for IL to stay at my old host familys house a few days:
-Which rental company to choose from?
-Which choice of cars is teh most "poweeeeer"
-Which route is teh best?
-Where should I stay over for the night? (NYC-IL is too long for one stretch) ((I likes teh pancakes))

After I stay a few days in IL I plan on driving back to NYC, I have rented a appartment on lower Manhattan for two weeks.
-Which route should I choose for my return trip? Same or different?
-Where to go to while in NYC? I'm social, into women and like to work out but also chill out. I plan to go on Craigslist and get one of those fixed speed bikes and just pedal around town to see what's up.
-Which restaturants?

I'm on Tinder and plan on using that a lot and besides - I always meet new people anywhere I go so I'm not worried on being bored at any time.. I mean, it's NYC :cool:

I'm so glad for any kind of response or input you guys might have :mrgreen:

And hey, it'd be awesome to hook up with anyone at any time too! ;)

If I were you try to rent a silver Toyota Camry or Corrolla. You could have an open laptop with jewels sitting on the passenger seat and no one would notice. You could drive past police going 20-30 over the speed limit without them noticing.

Reactions: haz
-Where to go to while in NYC? I'm social, into women and like to work out but also chill out. I plan to go on Craigslist and get one of those fixed speed bikes and just pedal around town to see what's up.
Give the High Line a visit, it's pretty interesting, but only for half a day.

Pedaling around town is good, too, when I was there last year I rented a bike, too, and went around Manhattan at the waterfront. This is the route I took, at least at the waterfront the bikepaths are pretty well constructed, apart from the stretch at the East River between 35th and 60th street. While you're at it take a stop at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum which is an old aircraft carrier with lots of aircrafts, helis etc. on display and they have a Space Shuttle there, too. When I was there the Space Shuttle pavilion was still damaged from hurricane Sandy, but according to their website it's open again.

I can't answer the rest of the questions, but you should have avoided JFK, we were stuck in immigrations behind a whole Airbus A340 from China for hours...

I concur with Eye-Q, as far as routes to/from IL gonna be likely the same it's pretty much just interstate. There is bike rental in NYC called Citi Bike feel free to check em out. The shuttle is back on display and Intrepid is quite fun. If you staying downtown The Growler in the financial district is a nice pub (tasty burgers!). Otherwise Lower East Side, Village, Chelsea all have a shit ton of bars/pubs/restaurants/etc... I would say if you have time check out downtown Brooklyn area (you can bike/walk over the Brooklyn Bridge) it's pretty old and interesting. There is a park there as well that used to be a commercial pier. Central Park is a popular destination, has some interesting things like Belvedere Castle and Cleopatra's Needle (it was under cleaning/repair last week not sure about now). Grand Central Terminal (call it a station at your own risk) is worth a visit, it's very interesting inside, then you got the usual Times Square, Empire State, Statue of Liberty thing. Would also suggest catching a ferry to Governor's Island it's a pretty interesting little park with some old fortifications.

Also there is of course the Bull in the financial district (Broadway/State street), Bryant Park is interesting mainly because of the library (it's this super old giant building).

That's all I can think of.

Oh yeah rental companies, I would suggest check out JFK's website they should have it listed. If not the nationwide companies are Hertz, Enterprise and Avis. They are guaranteed to be there, some more local/regional stuff I don't know. Personally had pretty good experience with Enterprise but YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that helps a lot! I?ll make sure to check it all out :)

Also forgot if you have the time there are a couple of Barcades around here, one in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and another Chinatown (Manhattan). Basically a full bar with a crapload of old school arcade games.

If you make it up here to Chicago proper I'd be happy to buy you a proper pizza

Hey thanks! Free pizza.. mmmm :D
I went like four times to Chicago in 97-98, went to a Bulls-Cavs game (even shook Scottie Pippens hand and got his autgraphs on a ball and poster, and got my pic taken with him).

My fav pizza place in Chicago was this one place that was old and famous, and you even got your own pen to write on the table and walls :) Been there?

If you make it up here to Chicago proper I'd be happy to buy you a proper pizza

You mean a cheese casserole? :p

haz's timing kind of sux because I'll be out of town for a week :( Otherwise he could actually try a REAL pizza :p
If you make it Coney Island I suggest grabbing some Totono's, on Neptune Ave.

Hey thanks! Free pizza.. mmmm :D
I went like four times to Chicago in 97-98, went to a Bulls-Cavs game (even shook Scottie Pippens hand and got his autgraphs on a ball and poster, and got my pic taken with him).

My fav pizza place in Chicago was this one place that was old and famous, and you even got your own pen to write on the table and walls :) Been there?

That was probably Uno. That place is just okay, comparatively. My favorites are the Art of Pizza and Pequod's. Pequod's is the best pizza I've ever eaten, anywhere in the world. It's orgasmic.

Prizrak said:
You mean a cheese casserole?

haz's timing kind of sux because I'll be out of town for a week Otherwise he could actually try a REAL pizza
If you make it Coney Island I suggest grabbing some Totono's, on Neptune Ave.

Yes, a pizza pie. It's just a savory pie. I like new york pizza just as much, it's just a different type of food. One's not strictly superior than the other.

I believe that's Gino's East. Good stuff.

If you want to avoid paying tolls and dealing with NYC traffic, you could fly into Newark, NJ (Liberty International Airport).

Enterprise is the best company I've dealt with, they're not real pushy with the insurance or judge you based on looks and age.

Basically a full bar with a crapload of old school arcade games.

That is made of many wins.

I believe that's Gino's East. Good stuff.

If you want to avoid paying tolls and dealing with NYC traffic, you could fly into Newark, NJ (Liberty International Airport).

Enterprise is the best company I've dealt with, they're not real pushy with the insurance or judge you based on looks and age.

Yes! Ginos East is correct. I have bought and paid for airline tickets though. Thanks for the car hire tip :)

Enterprise was pretty straight forward but beware of this: I made a reservation 6 weeks in advance for a mid sized sedan and when I got there they tried to put me into a base model Jeep Patriot. :mad: I made a lot of noise when I saw a couple who just walks in off the street were put into a spotless Camry, so they put me into a Dodge Charger, turns out it was a perfect car for the trip. Regardless, be wary when underneath the vehicle selection it says "or similar model" because "similar model" could mean ANYTHING to them.

Hell, if "similar vehicle" could mean a Dodge Charger then I'm all for it :D
But I see your point.

From personal experience, I can see why you made a big commotion.

NORMALLY, they do a fantastic job with car choices.

Wouldn't you be better off flying to Chicago, driving to New York and then flying home from there? :confused: You don't sound like you're planning to make a lot of stops along the way, so you'll probably end up driving there and back on very similar roads - if I were you, I'd save my time and energy for some fun on the backroads, rather than spend all that time on the Interstate.

As for rental companies, check if any of your credit cards/memberhips/other qualifies you for some sort of discount and/or free insurance. I've become a happily loyal Hertz customer because I get complete insurance and (often) a discount through my Hostelling International membership, so if you can find something similar, it can help you.

Cars... I'd recommend following the Way of the May :)may:) and Jay and getting something that you can actually take to its limits legally and which doesn't scream "STOP ME!!!" at every bored cop. Ditch it as soon as you're done driving across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and around Long Island, driving in NYC (particularly Manhattan) is annoying. Oh, and give the Holland Tunnel a try if you want a bit of "this isn't funny anymore".

Attractions: See if the New York Pass is any good for you; if you want to do and see the things it includes, it can save you a lot of money and also some time. Adding to what's been said and/or is included in the pass, take the Staten Island ferry from Battery Park - to the island and right back again. It's free, relaxing and it gives you a nice view of Lady Liberty.
If you need or want a quiet day out, go to Broad Channel and marvel at the sleepy little village that it is - right next to JFK and with the skyscrapers of Manhattan nearby. Continue to Rockaway Park and stick your feet in the Atlantic if you haven't already done so at e.g. Smith Point.

Yes, a pizza pie. It's just a savory pie. I like new york pizza just as much, it's just a different type of food. One's not strictly superior than the other.
This was a reference to John Stewart's rant lol :) I wanna try a real Chicago pizza as well.

Really? my sister was there just last week and said it was still just as dank as she had remembered (she used to live in NYC). zaitzeff does look good tho...