Ownership Verified: My Vintage Sports Car - 1929 Austin Seven Special

So last weekend I took the car along to my local drive it day event, where it was the oldest car on display amongst a hundred others or so. I even got in the local newspaper! The static show ran from 11-2, and after that I tailed off with some friends for a lunch by Lake Ullswater. Of course, all of my classic loving friends wanted a go in the Austin too...

oDRSrVx.jpg

SsHDJVE.jpg

I then swapped the Austin at home, and went for a very spirited drive into the Lakes with the Anglia, in search of a decent dessert in Windermere. A great time was had! (I didn't take a pic, so here's one of Fraser's with the Anglia in it...)

0Idihdn.jpg

On Monday it was the town's annual May Day Bank Holiday parade, which first saw the cars on display in the town centre; followed by a drive through the town for the crowds. The crowds certainly loved it, and I enjoyed having a rev-off with a Mustang in the middle of it all. You'll notice the car is clean too! I begrudgingly detailed it for the event, and it does actually look well for it. There's also been a VSCC badge added at some time in the past few weeks.
rxhRVBX.jpg

Today five new Longstone 350x19 tyres arrived in the post, so while I was at work my father fitted them up to some 19" powdercoated wheels I picked up in Kent back in January. The difference is huge, just look at the old rear 16" wheel and tyre with the new 19"s. (The front had 17"s previously).

7iOHy3W.jpg

WYP8BHd.jpg

Improvements are noticeable across the board, looks are much more period and in keeping with the vintage of the vehicle. Low speed steering is lighter, and cornering is much more confidence inducing. Ride is improved too, generally the whole thing is a massive improvement, and I'm glad to see the back of those awful old things it had.

EKGuL8O.jpg

X9mQSrc.jpg

qgBx9EN.jpg

Instagram, yo:

Rw4PovV.jpg

Last edited:
A few of the pics I snapped while spending time in Andeh and the Seven's company a couple of weeks ago. I've written an article about the experience which will hopefully appear on Hooniverse next week and will link it in due course... And yes, the brown Honda was holding us up!

i love the simplicity of that mirror-holder! :lol:

I've been very busy lately, but the Austin hasn't been neglected. It's been used every few days, and has racked up a lot more miles. Next week I'm driving around France it on holiday, while camping, and this weekend just gone I went down some typical Cumbrian lanes.... Excuse the shaky potato video from a friend! I'll be putting the GoPro on for future trips.

This was actually an unclassified road a few miles from my house, and great fun for a little play. I've done a few similar ones around me now, and the car loves them.

Brump-pubup-pdutuptuptup. Baby got torques :cool: And you keep challenge yourself to find a narrowest road ...intehweurld(c)

1:26 My friend's Smart would've stuck there.

2:10 YAYZ! Sudden stampeede!

P.S. That teapot's runnin' pretty smooth! But how about some rev-me-up action footage? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I could write a really long post, but I don't think I need to. Last Sunday I was in the ferry queue at Newhaven to travel to Dieppe, 1am yesterday I was in the queue at Dieppe to return to Newhaven. In the middle I did lots of miles alongside a Mini and a 1926 Rolls Royce 20hp, and saw some lovely Bugattis, as well as take in some very fun roads. Not a single break-down, and around 600 miles when all the deviations were taken into account. A long way for a little Austin. I even learned to drive with the hood up, the weather was that bad at times, but it was all worth the wet legs for the days of sunshine. Will definitely take this car back to the continent again next year, the reactions were fantastic.

2a2guBU.jpg

Z0XObk9.jpg

drl9HZk.jpg

riO7WSW.jpg

CLctKWs.jpg

w3SOEM5.jpg

1HkS6pj.jpg

evI3MDg.jpg

vGyPRh4.jpg

rKJOjvK.jpg

HccOLmp.jpg

1BX7x6e.jpg

CDxS9A8.jpg

BhRLUW7.jpg

X4TiFXV.jpg

3wucYGC.jpg

AGERm9C.jpg

oBoLmjV.jpg

lc7ud7B.jpg

pE73YGO.png

Is that a Facel Vega drophead?

i want one as well :)
who needs power when you just can have fun?

I can assure you that having spent just over an hour in its company in typically British weather you would have to be made of pretty strong stuff to cope with that distance, especially in the rain.

I have to agree though it is pretty awesome.

You do have to be pretty hardy to put up with 50mph rain in your face for hours at a time, plus being absolutely soaked through head to toe, but hey, all part of the vintage motoring fun!

Actual ergonomics are fine really, my lower back gets achey over a few days due to the lack of support, but my legs are fine as you lie out flat in front of you. My left heel was a little sore, as there's nowhere to really put your foot when not on the clutch. You get used to it though.

Last edited:
i want one as well :)
who needs power when you can go fast, using only torque?

Fixed.:cool:

Seeing it next to other cars really emphasizes how ridiculously tiny it is!

Well, it's made in the time when compact cars weren't existing, cause "standart" cars used required minimum of resourses available.