My Volvo 244 Turbo Project

snq

Sweden / About 50 km from the arctic circle
Car(s)
1966 Chevelle 454
Well I figured I'd start a thread about the Volvo 244 turbo I'm fixing up, to show the world that not all Volvos are slow and have caravans behind them ;)

It all started in september 2005, when I came across a 1981 244 turbo for a good price. I already had a couple of 240s but I wanted one that was a bit more special. There's about 250 of these left in Sweden, of which only 35 are on the road so this car fitted my needs quite well.

So I called the seller and went to take a look at the car the same day. Unfortunately he had blown some gasket that same day so the car drove like crap, and he wanted to fix that before he'd sell the car. Anyway I went to take a look anyway so at least I could see its condition. It wasn't exactly in showroom condition, but I like a project. At least it was taxed and road legal, and it had some brand new parts on it which cost about half of the price he wanted for the car.
The next day he had fixed the gasket and I went there again (another 80 mile trip), this time with a friend and some $ in my wallet. I took a test drive and was actually quite satisfied so I bought it for, after talking down the price a bit because of its general crappy condition.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it. I actually don't have any good pic of the whole car, god knows why but I forgot :)

The first thing it needed was some decent tires. The whole car would start vibrating if I drove over 60 mph. So I ordered some cheap tires, which arrived after a couple of days.

Next thing was to make the tail lights legal, the ones on the car were completely black and hardly visible, even in the dark. Besides they were ugly as hell ;) So I grabbed a tube of polish and polished up some old tail lights I had laying around.

Much better.

This is what the wiring looks like after 29 (!!!) owners!

Next I wanted to get rid of the ugly white bumpers. They're supposed to be black, so I took some bumpers off another car, and guess what, the front bumper wouldn't sit straight!

I decided to do some fault tracing, which ended up with the car looking like this

The wings wouldn't really fit properly because they had a bunch of dents, and besides they were from the wrong year. So those had to be changed as well. Here's the new front in place.

The new front was a bit rusty but no holes, and at least they fitted perfectly.

Now I obviously had a problem, because the new front had the wrong color. The season was nearing its end anyway, so I decided it'd get a quick paintjob before the winter came.
And if I was gonna paint it anyway, I might as well change the doors and whatever else was in bad shape.

Then came teh fun part, preparing for paint! I had a friend come over and help me and my backyard soon looked like a garbage tip ;)

Winter came early, and as I didn't have a garage the painting never got done. So the car stood under a cover all winter.

Spring came, and as soon as the snow disappeared we continued!

Beautiful!

The roof was a real PITA because the car had been repainted (badly) 2 times already and the roof was full of air bubbles. After a lot of hours it finally started to look somewhat proper again.

During the summer I bought an old supermarket building with the purpose of turning it into a luxury garage :) For now I'm only using the basement, as there already was a garage there. So the turbo got a new home.

I haven't had much time to work on the car this year because I need to work my ass off to pay for the garage before the end of the year without taking a loan. But every now and then I get something done.

I bought some new rims and tires, I like them quite a lot and got them for a really good price at the Volvo dealer. The front needs to be lowered a bit more, and the back needs some spacers but other than they look good on the car I think :)

Next I came across some cheap silicone and decided to start on the engine bay.
Obviously it's VERY far from done but it's a start. I tried to bend some intercooler pipes at a friends place, but we didn't succeed very well so the rest would have to wait until we figured out the proper pipe bending technique.

As you can see, the engine bay looks like complete and utter crap. By this time I have decided that the car will get a serious paintjob, it's been way too much work already for a "quick and dirty" paintjob. So I'm gonna get some stuff welded (new floor, rear wings, wheel housings) and once that's done get the whole car painted by a professional.

Anyway there was one thing that has been bothering me since I bought the car. Some idiot removed the original injection system and replaced it with a a carburettor. I've always been a bit afraid to do anything about it because this k-jetronic injection system doesn't have the best of reputations over here.
And as the car was actually running fine with the carburettor I had never bothered. I estimate it had about 180-200 HP, 0-60 MPH took a bit under 8 secs, and the top speed was about 120 MPH (this was with 3 passengers in the car tho), after that it couldn't deliver enough fuel.
But then one day, the carburettor started leaking and then I'd totally had it ;) Now I was going to put in the original k-jet system. I had to get it done before paint anyway, because I don't want to have to experiment with it in a newly painted engine bay later on. So I got rid of the carburettor and its intake manifold, and started collecting k-jet parts from my storage room.

Be gone!

The new manifold

Fuel distributor, air flow sensor and filter box, and a bunch of lines to the injectors and pressure regulator.

Everything in place. I couldn't use my one nice intercooler pipe because it just wouldn't fit. The current solution is very temporary, just to get it tight ;)

Obviously shit didn't work as it should. I was getting fuel to the injectors, but there was not enough pressure for the injectors to open and start spraying. I blamed the fuel pumps, so I bought 2 new pumps. A week later they arrived, and things still didn't work! The pumps sounded much better than the old ones tho so I'm sure the old one was nearing the end of its life anyway, and one was dead already.
I started this about a month ago, and since then I've mainly been waiting for new parts to arrive. But yesterday after a lot of swearing and changing parts, I finally got the engine running! And immediately noticed a huge difference compared to the carburettor shit, it revs up a lot nicer :D

Now I'm just waiting for a new throttle wire which will hopefully come tomorrow, and then I'll drive it to my friend who will do the welding for me.

The goal with this whole project is to get a 26 year old Volvo that can pull away from most other cars. I'm aiming for somewhere in the 250-300 HP range to start with, which shouldnt be any problem with a bigger turbo, better IC, renovated engine, 3'' exhaust all the way. The injection system I have now is already modified to handle over 300 HP.
Once it's done it'll be my summer car, I'll never drive it during the winter because I don't want it to rust away again. I might take it to a track some day as well :)

Anyway, I gotta get back to work, so to be continued! :)
And comments are welcome ;)

Last edited:
AWESOME PROJECT!!!!!

be sure to keep us updates as work continues

PS: how in gods name do you get your yard so cluttered just by stripping a car :lol:

PS2: what do you do for job? you already had the injection system laying around in pieces, so you're some sort of volvo mechanic i presume?

I loooove that car dude:clap: :thumbsup: Its gonna be lovely. I always had a soft spot for rwd Volvos:heart: . Keep it up!!;)

AWESOME PROJECT!!!!!

be sure to keep us updates as work continues

PS: how in gods name do you get your yard so cluttered just by stripping a car :lol:

PS2: what do you do for job? you already had the injection system laying around in pieces, so you're some sort of volvo mechanic i presume?

Haha, the yard got cluttered because of my friend. He pretty much drops everything as soon as you talk to him :D I spent about an hour cleaning up after his ass after he left ;)
And I work as a programmer, nothing that has anything to do with cars. I actually have multiple injection systems laying around hehe. But I just buy a lot of parts that I think may come in handy some day, if the price is right. Having a whole supermarket as a garage, space is not an issue for me. Rare parts are getting harder to find all the time so if there's something I won't end up using, I can always keep it in the storage for 10 years and sell it with a huge profit later on ;)

I have more projects than just this car, but I'm trying to keep it to 1 project at a time. I also have a 1975 244 which I want to put a V8 in, and I have a 1979 265 GLE (really rare, only 60 remain of which 6 on the road) that is going to get a full restoration some day. A lot of parts fit all years from 75-93, so a lot of stuff in the storage room will actually be used some day :)

I loooove that car dude:clap: :thumbsup: Its gonna be lovely. I always had a soft spot for rwd Volvos:heart: . Keep it up!!;)

Thanks :) Your project thread actually kind of inspired me to create this thread, we need more project threads over here, its great fun to read I think :)

Last edited:
Great project; I love fast "bricks"!!!

I think you need these to finish the build:

700-V8ConvsnMnts.jpg

92_12_b.JPG

Wait, now I see you're in Sweden...probably want to go the turbo route, huh?

Is that a mid 70's 240-series front end I see in your garage? How about a snapshot of that one while you're at it?

My first car had that same front end, and I loved it!

Great project; I love fast "bricks"!!!

I think you need these to finish the build:

700-V8ConvsnMnts.jpg

92_12_b.JPG

Wait, now I see you're in Sweden...probably want to go the turbo route, huh?

Yep, I'll go the turbo route, at least with this car ;) Right now I have some small shitty turbo (its not even visible on the pics I think :D) from a late 80s 740 turbo, but it'll be replaced by something bigger before the winter is over, the question is just how big, but I'm thinking of a group A turbo, with the same specs as the ones Volvo had on their (very successful) group A rally cars back in the 80s.

Is that a mid 70's 240-series front end I see in your garage? How about a snapshot of that one while you're at it?

My first car had that same front end, and I loved it!

Correct, it's my 1975 244 DL :)
Which was also my first car, and I love it too. The green color, brown interior, 4.10:1 ratio on rear axle and only 4 gears makes for a true 70s feeling when driving the car ;)

Here's some pics!
p6220139.jpg

p5220009.jpg

p5090017.jpg

is that injection system similar to cis? it looks exactly like the system in my audi 5000 with a big distributer for fuel. if so how can that thing hold 300 hp? it craps out at like 225ish on audis before you have to go full standalone efi.

wow that's a cool project. What is your daily driver?

is that injection system similar to cis? it looks exactly like the system in my audi 5000 with a big distributer for fuel. if so how can that thing hold 300 hp? it craps out at like 225ish on audis before you have to go full standalone efi.
Yea, its almost the same system as on some Audis.
The original system on these Volvos craps out at around 200 because it can't deliver enough fuel. But this fuel distributor has something widened to allow more fuel to flow thru it. I have absolutely no idea what this part is called, but its the thing that gets moved by the airflow sensor, it controls how much fuel is sent to the injectors.
They're like 4 vertical "holes", and more of the holes is opened when more air flows through the sensor. Now on this distributor those holes have been widened a bit to allow for more fuel to flow through them. In combination with a good pump it's supposed be good for over 300. It's a quite expensive operation because the 4 holes need to be *exactly* the same size, or one cylinder will get more fuel than the others. It costs about $7-800 to get it done and afaik there's only one company in the whole of Sweden that can do it. For that kind of cash you can easily get megasquirt or something installed which will give you a lot more to play with, so I guess thats why not many people do it this way. I got this distributor cheap and like the fact that it looks original.

^ the Volvo cooler than an old RWD, is an old RWD wagon. :)
If i were you, id make that a sleeper like you are with your 244.

You need to join www.turbobricks.com. They would love to see this poject.

The site is kinda sead right now as they had a huge database faliure, but will be back soon.

^ the Volvo cooler than an old RWD, is an old RWD wagon. :)
If i were you, id make that a sleeper like you are with your 244.
Unfortunately I can't turn all my cars into project cars ;) I need some care that I can drive all year around without it cutting a huge hole in my wallet.
Also my girlfriend drives this 89 as well, I dont think she'd be very impressed if I started doing stuff to it ;)

YOU OWN A BUILDING!?!?! :blink:
Heh, yes ;) Buildings don't cost much over here because nobody wants to live here. I live in a very small town in the middle of the forest basically.

Here's some pics of my garage-in-progress.

I even have a kitchen :)

The part of the building I'm using now, because I don't have any garagedoors upstairs yet.

Here's the storage room before I moved in, at the moment its full with all kinds of Volvo parts ;)

And the toilet, located conveniently close to the garage :) There's a shower as well but I have only used it to clean parts so far :D

While I'm posting pictures anyway, here's some more pics of the turbo and related stuff :)

Some may have noticed the drivers seat was the wrong kind. I did get the original seat but it was quite broken and really dirty. I took it apart a while ago and washed the upholstry a couple of times, the result was not bad at all :)
Before:

Dirty? It's supposed to be silver btw.

After washing it twice

I still didn't put it together, been too busy doing other stuff and I can't put it in yet anyway :)

I ripped out the interior to inspect the state of the floor, which turned out to be pretty bad, but not worse than I was expecting.

Rusty? Yes

I also bought another block, a 2.1l turbo as well. This is going to be the base for the new engine after restoring it.

The new exhaust system

Here's a turbo I may use, really not sure yet. It comes from a 940 turbo, but I think it's too small for my HP needs :(

And a cylinder head with performance camshaft. Not sure if I'll use this camshaft because I have 2 other performance camshafts laying around as well and I can't really decide on which one to use because they're all slightly different.

And finally, here's what the car looks like at the moment