My Volvo 244 Turbo Project

I was at the garage today and took some pics :)

The rear windshield gone

Something is missing here...

And I started cleaning the trunk so it can be painted.

Other than that not much happened..

But I can post some pics of some stuff that has arrived lately :)

A nice package with gaskets, tons of service parts, bushings, and some other crap.

A pair of new USA corners :) Not cheap, but well worth the money.

And I got really fed up with all tail lights I've collected over the past years. All of them were supposed to be in good knick but none of them were good enough for the car :( So I finally ordered a pair of brand new ones, with white turn signals.

Some parts for the driver seat.. Guess which one is new and which one is old :lol:

And a bonus pic of my spare engine collection :)
Front to back: B21ET, B23A, B27E and B21E

Wow thanks for the update looks like its going to be one nice looking car, keep up the good work.

Grr! :x

I bought an air-driven orbital sander last week to sand the bad paint off the roof. All was fine, it worked perfectly and the paint disappeared as if it was nothing. For about 15 minutes that is. After 15 mins the lights in the garage went out and something started making a buzzing noise. After getting the lights back on, I found out the buzzing sound came from the compressor. It also smelled like shit and was hot as hell. Well, it turned out its motor died :( I called my friend who I borrowed the compressor from and told him about it and he wasnt very suprised, the motor was like 30 years old and it had acted weird before. So yesterday we were going to buy a new motor, guess if they had all motors except for the model we needed!
So now I'm gonna be without a compressor for almost a month, because they wouldnt get it until the end of the month. So no sanding!

The worst part is that this is the 2nd compressor that dies on me in 2 months. My own compressor got something wrong in the compressor block somewhere in december and getting it fixed would probably cost more than buying a new one, so I'm only using it as an extra tank now.

This is so typical.. Finally something goes well, and of course it has to go to hell after a short while ;) At least I finished sandblasting some rims for another volvo (264 GLE) right before it died, so I'll throw in a pic of those :)

Last edited:
Well, as I'm without my beloved compressor, I decided to do some manual sanding and see if I can get rid of the shitty paint. Only the curvy bits that I won't be able to do with the machine of course. So far it's going pretty well :)

Slowly the car is getting back its original color!

But this bit is a bit of a pita, not sure how I'm going to handle this yet.

After these pics I also did the pillars and side of the roof. I have to start out with 80 grid paper, because this paint is tough as hell, but once it's thin enough it goes away pretty easy with 240 grid.

Ah yeah I hate this. I did sand a few cars... The whole car with hand... Damn I hate it :D

Ah yeah I hate this. I did sand a few cars... The whole car with hand... Damn I hate it :D
It's not the most fun job ;) But it needs to be done.. At least I have something to look forward to, underneath the ugly paint is the beautiful original paint and it's actually quite satisfying to see it come back :)

A pair of new USA corners :) Not cheap, but well worth the money.
IMG_3306.JPG

ha i think thats funny that you guys like the us-spec corners, but i guess you think the same thing about us americans liking the euro-spec stuff

Time for a little update maybe?

Nothing really happened in the past couple of months, I've been way too busy doing other stuff.. And all my compressors dying on me didn't really help the case either. I'm still waiting for a new motor for the compressor, seems like an impossible task to get a hold of one with exactly the right specs :mad:

Anyway, the last thing I did was remove the dashboard. It had a couple of nasty cracks so I figured I might as well replace it while the rest of the interior is stripped anyway. This also gives me a chance to look over the nasty wiring that the previous owners left for me. The temporary driver seat is still in there because its comfortable to have something to sit on ;)

And some overview pics... The garage is a huge mess atm, and I even cleaned up a bit before taking these pics.

I hope to have more time soon, because I really want to get this thing to the painter within the next 20 years or so ;)

Fiiinaly! I thought you gave it up or sthing :( But thank god, you didnt :) Nice to see the Volvo again, give us more pics!

Hehe, no I didn't give up :)

Anyway, my compressor works again after 5 months of searching for a motor!

I did some cleaning in the garage and the car saw daylight for the first time since last summer.

And a pic before I started cleaning :)

Now I'm waiting for some rods to be shortened. The panhard rod will be made adjustable and the other 2 will be shortened about 10mm to give the rear axle a better angle.

did u do something new to your car?

if so please post it I LOVE your project!

Not much happened really, other than it's standing on all 4 wheels again with the shortened rods in place. My friend had completely forgotten about them, which was why it took so long :)
It's basically been standing still the whole year.. Had a lot of other stuff to do in the garage (removing walls, installing doors, etc) and I didn't feel like working on the car..

I'm going to try and get it out next summer but it's not going to be easy... I'm also working on a drag car and I really want to start racing next season... It seemed like such a good idea at the time but I wonder where I'm gonna get time from ;)
Here's what the car looked like when I bought it a couple of months ago.. A beauty isn't it?

Last edited:
WE WANT UPDATES!!!! ^^

Sorry, not much has happened, I have too many projects going on, I spent the whole winter working on vintage snowmobiles ;)

However I did get a new spark for this one now that my friend is nearing completion on his 240 turbo project. Also one problem I had was that even if I'd finish the entire car, I wouldn't have any decent seats to put in it. A couple of weeks ago I found something really rare, leather seats with the leather in great condition! That helped a lot, I got all excited to continue but I'm in the middle of building a new engine for my 265 so I'm going to finish that first.

Anyway, here's some pics of the seats. You have no idea how hard they are to find, I consider myself quite lucky. Maybe they're more common in the US, but over here most people apparently were too cheap to pay extra for a leather interior ;) One problem is that the car they came from had been in an accident, and the passenger seat needs a new frame. That shouldn't be too much of a problem tho, luckily the leather is undamaged.