Ownership Verified: My W251 R 280 CDI

luokyio

Merc Maniac
Car(s)
CLS, CL, Scorpio
So yep, another trade done. The Daewoo Craptiva didn't quite deliver what I ordered from it, so it was time to move ahead. Back to Mercedes again. Now I have two cars made in Alabama, neither of them being of American manufacturers.

First what VIN decoder has to say about it:

VIN WDC2510261A077445
Baumuster 251026
Sales name R 280 CDI
Permanent link http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check?su=rsq3f2-n7k7b
Order number 0 7 204 40593 (Destination: Branch Bielefeld)
Delivery date 29 02 2008
PAINT1 197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
Interior color 001A FABRIC - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
Engine 642950 40 597650
Gearbox 722902 01 553645
General data for model code 251026

251026 R-class V251 R280CDI
SA codes
Parameter Value
000A FABRIC
001A FABRIC - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
182 CONVERTER WITH DEV. CHARACTERISTIC
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
202B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - GERMAN
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
229L GERMANY
23I CONTROL CODE TUSCALOOSA PLANT
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
260 TYPE DESTINATION ON TRUNK LID - ELIMINATION
260B AIRBAGLABEL - GERMAN/ENGLISH
280 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
2XXL FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY
301 ASHTRAY PACKAGE
332B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - GERMAN
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
474 DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER
477 TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
524 VEHICLE PROTECTIVE COVER (FULL BODY COVER)
525 RADIO AUDIO 50 APS
580 AIR CONDITIONER
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
615 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT RIGHT-DRIVE
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION
668 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/ TIE-DOWN HOOKS
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
739 TRIM PIECES - ALUMINUM
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
808 AEJ 07/1
808 *1 251____ 20041201 AEJ 07/1
808 *2 642.9__ 20051220 AEJ 07/1
808 *3 722.9__ 20050822 YOM 17/1
847 THIRD ROW OF SEATS
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
890 AUTOMATIC REAR-END DOOR
904 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE BASIC
985 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W. REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A05 TRANSMISSION ALL-WHEEL CAPABLE
A21 SHIFT BY WIRE
A22 NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
A44 SOFTWARE 3
A45 O-SHIFT PLATE WITH VGS2
A49 CONVERTER WITH 3 FRICTION DISKS
F251 SERIES 251
FW LIMOUSINE
G902 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 02
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K13 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 25000 KM
L LEFT-HAND STEERING
M007 CHASSIS WITH 4X2 DRIVE
M013 ENGINE REDUCED PERFORMANCE
M30 DISPLACEMENT 3.0 LITER
M642 V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642
NB0 NEW VEHICLE DOCUMENTS: DAIMLER AG
P80 SPECIAL MODEL FLEET PACKAGE
R01 SUMMER TIRES
R10 18"LA WHEEL TWIN-SPOKE DESIGN STAR, ALL-ROUND
V44 SPEED+ - LOADINDEX 105 W

And in short, a 3.0 liter V6 diesel with a software detune, at 190 hp. Mechanically identical to 320 CDI which is 224 hp, and a ECU software update without other mods would bring it close to 300 hp, so that is absolutely on a shopping list. 7G gearbox with no traditional gear shift but a tiny joystick behind the steering wheel, with flappy paddles (or buttons to be more exact) for extra spordiness. Imported from Germany in 2012, a full service history from official dealership both in Germany and Finland. 245 000 km on the odo.

One thing that is missing from the equipment these normally have, is the airmatic. This has traditional suspension with coil springs and stuff. And in a 10-year-old car that is absolutely good thing. No airbags and compressors to go kaboom.

Picdump from the seller's ad, as it is pouring rain at the moment so a proper own photoshoot must wait a bit.

Mercedes-Benz-R-839a5b23c5eef053-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-38b4c44fbe3ee60b-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-2fc17ad015a3b935-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-2b40ceb4474f4d0c-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-0c724e6c3eca9688-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-becc5b41d3d688bc-large.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-R-62d0fe09c32d299b-large.jpg

And as always with my cars, it has couple issues. First is that the left rearmost (solid) window was loose. I just came from a glass shop that glued it back on (at seller's cost).

During glue procedure:

Barely visible end result:

Another issue did arise right after the deal had been made, the glow plug light came on, meaning one of the glow plugs is shot. Seller promised to pay for this repair also, service scheduled in couple of weeks from now. If the plugs come out normally, it's a quick fix, but they have tendency to get stuck, and if that's the case, it will take hours. I'll get the rest of the plugs changed at the same time, as the others are probably going out soon anyway after the one.

The driver's seat has a rip in the leather part, that needs to be addressed at some point. GPS that has maps from 2008 isn't quite up to date either. It doesn't have tow bar, which on one hand is a good thing meaning nobody has stressed the car too much before, but on the other hand it is a 750 ? extra cost now to get one fitted.

I really hope this wont give too much surprises and for once I can drive this for a few years, as it's a real treat to drive, especially after the Daewoo. :lol: Nice, quiet, comfortable ride in every way. Glass sunroof, although useless with an air conditioned car, is pretty nice thing to have, brings a lot of light to the dark cabin.

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

This is probably one hell of a tow vehicle, which is good when you're a caravannist. :p The owner of the company we share the building with at work drives an R 320 CDI and it does look like a nice and comfortable barge.

The road tax has to be approaching four figures, though?

I feared you'd gone full Finnish rickhamilton and there was no recovery for you. Glad to see you're back to just a weird-looking car, not another weird and terrible car :lol:
To be fair, this has somewhat terrible reputation here. Part of that reputation though is just because it is made in the US. But airmatic which this luckily lacks, is one moneypit in a heavy car. Another big usual issue (not limited to this model but the engine) is with engine needing a timing chain replacement, which costs 1500?, and an oil leak that requires a 3-day job to replace a 2? gasket. In this one the chain is quiet and no oil leaks, so hopefully neither in close future.
:thumbsup:

This is probably one hell of a tow vehicle, which is good when you're a caravannist. :p The owner of the company we share the building with at work drives an R 320 CDI and it does look like a nice and comfortable barge.

The road tax has to be approaching four figures, though?

Close but not quite, 975?.

Someone actually bought an R Class? :blink:

Apparently.

After a quick wash and interior cleaning. The most disgusting interior I've ever cleaned, filled with melter candies and ice cream sticks everywhere. After almost puking during the cleaning it turned out okay. Driver's seat needs reupholstering.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like B class' obese cousin. And I like it. :lol:

Tires were badly underinflated for some reason, an even 1.7 bars on all tires. Pumped them up to spec (2.3/2.8), and drives now even better.

Not the greatest trunk, but about double what Captiva had.

The poverty spec 6 seat arrangement is actually a plus, as kids can go to the rearmost row without folding any seats:

Is that an actual warning light for reverse gear?

Is that an actual warning light for reverse gear?

No, it is a Reset button for trip computer.

And yes, believe or not, it is really my car.

The B and the R class were sort of introduced as the "Sport Tourer" twins, the B being the Compact Sports Tourer and the R as the Grand Sports Tourer. It didn't stick.

I like it. Because first of all it's not a SUV. - Quite the family taxi you got there.
Will be interesting to see how this one does after you give it a life-shortening chip overdose. :lol:

And for sure I have to confess I smile and tilt my head every time one of the more rare 510hp AMG versions of this pops up in my Autoscout search. :)

Will be interesting to see how this one does after you give it a life-shortening chip overdose. :lol:

Not if it's professionally done and you don't rev the tits out of the car every time :)

I hope I don't cause you a headache with my first post on this Forum, but are you 100% sure this actually is a 4Matic? This code on the build sheet "M007 CHASSIS WITH 4X2 DRIVE" raised my suspicions. Also the Sales name doesn't mention anything about the 4Matic.

All of the R's sold as new in Finland were 4Matics, but the ones with the less powerful engines were available with rear-wheel drive in Central Europe. It is actually pretty common that people think that all of these are 4Matics, but I also have heard of people that have paid a bitter price due to this presumption.

I looked this particular example up on the sold section of Nettiauto and it was advertised as a 4Matic, but it would still take look under the car to find out. Or you can wait until there's snow on the ground and see how it moves. :)

Holy crap, I just got a valid proposal to check the underside of the car if it is even 4matic like me and the seller thought. And it isn't, it is a RWD.:lol:

We both assumed it would be 4matic since all R's were (in Finland). However middle Europe apparently got the base model as RWD. For wallet this is actually a good thing, less things to break, lower fuel consumption etc... And a long RWD + winter coming! :mrgreen: Of course the big question is, that should the price have been lower or not. And that's a tricky question, as there just are not many RWDs in the country...

Haha, now you really gotta come to the icetrack meet in the winter in this :) This is of course assuming you'll still have this car in 6 months or so :)

Wow!
I?d so want to co-drive a R-series.
Mercedes designed it to be a S-series with a boot
and I?ve always wanted to know what the end result feels like.

Glow plugs replaced, and no warning lights anymore. However few times it has gone into limp home mode, due to EGR. I ordered a new valve plus used Forte fuel treatments that say they could actually clean the valve without dismantling. If the fault codes keep on coming, I'll throw a new valve in and it should be settled then.

Wow!
I?d so want to co-drive a R-series.
Mercedes designed it to be a S-series with a boot
and I?ve always wanted to know what the end result feels like.

Short answer: better than any car I've ever driven before. A bit harder suspension than for example the W210 has, but I imagine airmatic would sort that out, but then again it would sort my wallet out too if it fails.

I would have been pretty pissed if my Opel had turned out not to have rear driveshafts. :p

Looks good, hopefully this is more reliable for you.

I would have been pretty pissed if my Opel had turned out not to have rear driveshafts. :p

I was wondering, do you actually feel like you've been .. betrayed in any way? Or are you even happy that you have one of the few 2wd R classes in .fi?

Finding out you have a FWD instead of anything else would be pretty awful yes. :lol:

Looks good, hopefully this is more reliable for you.
Thanks, so do I :)
I was wondering, do you actually feel like you've been .. betrayed in any way? Or are you even happy that you have one of the few 2wd R classes in .fi?

Not really. It would not have made any difference to the buying decision anyway. I don't need the 4wd to anything really, even the towing happens only in the summer so it doesn't add any value to it either. And at winter RWD is not anything to be pissed about. :cool: