Ownership Verified: My Winter Car - 2003 Audi Allroad - Of all cars, why this one?

93Flareside

D繹ner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Audi Allroad
How it started.

1633455410537.png

How it's going...

I was perusing Facebook Marketplace in July when I saw this on a Sunday morning. I started messaging @larswey about it wondering if these are any good because he had one. He seemed to like it and I couldn't help myself. One phone call and a paypal of some monies to some guy on the internet and 4 hours later an Audi on a trailer showed up. Why was it on trailer? Well 1. I thought since it was listed as being in Chicago that I could go and get it. Not the case, dude lived an hour south of Chicago in Indiana. I was told it had a blown power steering line and that he was just fed up with it. I figured "no problem, how hard can that be?" I was in for it. Audi's unique power steering lines on this generation are in an accessible spot through a cover on the drivers side wheel well. You can see it, but there's almost no space for your hands. 3 weeks of working on it after work, I finally rounded the banjo bolt and had to get a bolt extractor. After that the bolt finally came out, the next step was getting a replacement bolt. Thankfully there's a German car website I found (ETC i think?) that had it. So that was ordered and I got the line in, which is a bitch and a half to get in. After that was ringmeet and I wanted to sell the Fiat because I don't need 3 cars.

So why this specific Allroad? V6 Twin Turbo with a manual 6-speed! WHY ELSE, MAN?

1633455887988.png

Otherwise this is a hunk of junk. It's rusty underneath, but nothing through yet, I don't think it's seen the inside of a car wash since George W. Bush was in office. So much dirt road-type dirt underneath, in the lower crevices of the doors, interior has the smells and evidence of smoking, the the point the air vents had gunk on them. Everything about this car had to be wiped clean. As it is there's still some sticky buttons. I'm worried if I use too much cleaner or rag that I will wipe off the finish, it started to happen on the air suspension buttons...

So what's great about this? AWD I'm certain works, heated seats work (front and rear!), CD changer works (unlike the fiat) sun roof works, it drives down the road ok despite it's sorry state. Even the air suspension still works, albeit with some leaks. The front end will sag down if you leave it for a few days. It also seems to ride better when you lower the tire pressure from 45PSI (W T F) to the more usual 30-35PSI...

The HID headlights are really nice as well, something I didn't think would be any good with the fogged over lenses.

What's the plan with this? Keep it mostly driveable and then dump it after winter. Originally I wanted to sell it as soon as the registration was sent back to me from the state, but I'm sadly kind of digging this thing.

I've since replaced the front doors. This car came with a front left and right doors, 3 right rear doors, 3 rear shocks (with air springs), 1 front shock (with air fucked air spring, thanks), 3 air diverter blocks, 3 incorrect ABS sensors, front quarter skins, and a rear hatch....

1633456561026.png

rate my setup, yo.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 Kuro PRHT, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I still say this is perfect for the Gamblers events. Just throw on some knobbies on steelies, paint it with some olive drab and f'n send it! 不
I second this. I think you need to dress it up like an attack helicopter too, because it's already in apache state.

93Flareside

D繹ner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Audi Allroad
I still say this is perfect for the Gamblers events. Just throw on some knobbies on steelies, paint it with some olive drab and f'n send it! 不

I second this. I think you need to dress it up like an attack helicopter too, because it's already in apache state.

Both great ideas. Plan is to put as little in as possible. Since this has the same bolt pattern as my winter wheels from the Golf GTI, that's about all it'll get for new tires.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
It's revolting.

Have fun! :D

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
Has speed holes and everything. Awesome.

93Flareside

D繹ner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Audi Allroad
Some successes today. First I swapped out the key cylinder which meant I could get my remote reprogrammed and keyless entry working again. Next up I brought the 3 right doors and one rear door to the junkyard. I dont need them and figured someone would despite nobody on local classifieds biting. I then which I have photos this time, put on the winter tires originally for the golf. The look a little funny as these are 205s over the normal 225s. Otherwise the tire height is the same but a 1 smaller wheel. This means for the winter Im 5mph slower on the odometer, woopy.

B77D5A3C-79BC-460B-90E8-ECC4260529E3.jpeg
CFE58C3D-3D04-46C1-8636-13773E1E0EF0.jpeg

Second photo was at the small engine shop where I was ordering belts for my snow blower.

I saw this:

0A4F94F5-6462-49B4-9BB3-BB19BE7DD53D.jpeg

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Im digging the multicoloured look, just needs racing numbers on the doors and you could claim its deliberate

Alternatively, it looks like arse and I like it. The wonky plate finishes it off perfectly.

Last edited:

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Not to be confused with ORECK, which wouldn't do so well in snow.

I also want to acknowledge the 'Timecutter' name of the zero-turn behind that machine, very clever but can it really cut up time? Maybe if you ran over a clock.

93Flareside

D繹ner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Audi Allroad
I've ordered some cheap brakes off rock auto to be done this week. Front brakes are very near the metal backing. Better now than when It snows. After that it should be fine for 2 months.

Something I've started to notice, I like to give cars I drive a minute or two before I drive off in the morning. This will start to smoke a little if left to idle for a while. But only at the first start of the day, so perhaps that is oil leaking by in the valve train? The rest of the day, even if you let it idle for a while it won't smoke or smell of burnt oil. So I guess it leaks through overnight. Either way, keep it topped up for the moment.

It goes, it stops, clutch feels fine, heated seats work, auto climate control is perfect.