NASCAR Megathread: 2008 Pre-Season Thunder

YF19pilot

Car(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe
Okay, so the five NASCAR fans that are on this board, here is our own thread. It is here we shall flame each other for how much of an incompetant deck ape that someone's driver is. It is here that we will bitch about how "Sprint Cup" sounds too much like World of Outlaws are running on Daytona. It is here we shall moan about the Car of Tomarrow being run for all races in 2008. And it is here we will wonder if JPM will make it to the Chase next year.

So to kick it off, screw you Jimmie Johnson!

Last edited:
Quick question about for the Nascar fans, has there been any hype around Marcos Ambrose from Australia over there, cause im not too sure. Down here they're saying there is but since this motorsport is huge i have my doubts.

He gets to drive in around 12 Nascar races next year. Has he made an impact or is it a case of Marcos who?

Wish he would come back to Ford in Australia

Quick question about for the Nascar fans, has there been any hype around Marcos Ambrose from Australia over there, cause im not too sure. Down here they're saying there is but since this motorsport is huge i have my doubts.

He gets to drive in around 12 Nascar races next year. Has he made an impact or is it a case of Marcos who?

Wish he would come back to Ford in Australia

Unfortuanetly I haven't watched as much as I should. This past year he only really raced in the Busch Series, which is the lower teir of NASCAR. I would say he made a much better impact, coming 8th in the points (3477/-1328.) than JPM, but more people know F1 than Aussie V8s (this was also his first full season). He will be doing 12 Sprint Cup jaunts, though he won't be in untill the June 22nd running at Infineon, and he'll be driving the No. 21 Little Debby Ford. However, he'll still be running a full schedule in the Busch Nationwide Series with the same car he's had this season. Though he's the first non-American to make top 10 in any NASCAR series since 1974 (some canook named Earl Ross).

So in short, yes, everyone who follows Busch should know who Marcos is. The people who only care for Nextel/Sprint only watch when their drivers are running in the occassional same track/same weekend races. Though I enjoy the V8 Series as well, and can understand where you're coming from.

YeeeeeeeHAWO! Boogityboogityboogity, Ai caunt wait for them nauscers to go araund dem ovoul cercuts aaund keep ternun laeft!!

good job on making yourself look like an ass and making an assumption that the majority of NASCAR fans are rednecks.

I'll watch the occasional Nascar race. Sure they only drive in a circles most of the time, but there is quite a bit of action most races.

Woo, go Ambrose!
I wouldn't say I'm a NASCAR fan, but I do support Ambrose, so I guess I'll have to call myself a fan soon :p
JPM is utterly rubbish at ovals.

JPM is utterly rubbish at ovals.

utterly rubbish? did you watch last season? he finished in the top 15 in most of the oval races (give or take a few from wrecking out). he was also named Rookie of the Year.

i'm just extremely confused on who to be a fan with nowadays. i used to be a hardcore Mark Martin fan. but since last year, its been confusing as all hell even though he did drive most of the season and now he's driving the #8 with another limited schedule.

so are they using spoilers now? (doesn't follow NASCAR, atleast not since it turned into plasic-bodied things, Hurray for 1966!)

What they used on a limited basis last year and full-time for a number of seasons before that was called a spoiler, and was basically a flap of metal along the trunk lid, looking like this:
http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/5160/ford1pq7.jpg

What they have now is what they call a wing, that looks like this:
http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/3097/caroftomorrow03ka1.jpg

The wing produces a lot more downforce than the old spoiler which slows the cars down considerably and thus isn't very popular among drivers and crew chiefs. It can have it's attack angle adjusted depending on the setup you want to run for different tracks, but the wing itself isn't allowed to be adjusted. To prevent tampering, NASCAR owns the wings and distributes them to teams on a per-race basis, inspecting them afterwards.

By the way YF19, thank you so much for starting this thread! :bow:

I do like how all the cars are so similar, but the races are so boring. I much prefer when they go off-oval.

Unfortuanetly I haven't watched as much as I should. This past year he only really raced in the Busch Series, which is the lower teir of NASCAR. I would say he made a much better impact, coming 8th in the points (3477/-1328.) than JPM, but more people know F1 than Aussie V8s (this was also his first full season). He will be doing 12 Sprint Cup jaunts, though he won't be in untill the June 22nd running at Infineon, and he'll be driving the No. 21 Little Debby Ford. However, he'll still be running a full schedule in the Busch Nationwide Series with the same car he's had this season. Though he's the first non-American to make top 10 in any NASCAR series since 1974 (some canook named Earl Ross).

So in short, yes, everyone who follows Busch should know who Marcos is. The people who only care for Nextel/Sprint only watch when their drivers are running in the occassional same track/same weekend races. Though I enjoy the V8 Series as well, and can understand where you're coming from.

Yh, it's barely put on the news here only if he does really well. So if this thread continues throughout the Season, i should be well informed of his progress.

utterly rubbish? did you watch last season? he finished in the top 15 in most of the oval races (give or take a few from wrecking out). he was also named Rookie of the Year.
I'll take your word for it since you probably followed him a little more closely than I did. Must have just been luck that the few times I watched the races he DNF'ed or was in 20th :p
Still, rookie of the year ain't too bad.

Quick tid bit, while I'm taking a break from school:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/071129-cs-nascar-flags.html

To celebrate the 50th running of the Daytona 500, and NASA's own 50th anniversary, three green flags will be carried into space on board Atlantis STS-122. One flag will be given to the winner of the race, one will be kept at Daytona USA, and one will be kept by NASA, either to remain at Kennedy or possibly donated to the Smithsonian.

Ambrose has been talked about this past season. I watched all 36 races of the Nextel Cup. They are waiting for him to see what he can do. At the same time Hornish Jr, Villeneuve, and Carpentier are being looked at as well to see how they do in their first full season.

Thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait for February.

Lets Go Mark Martin and Roush Racing in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh Mark Martin hasn't been racing for Roush since he went to a limited schedule this last season. plus, he's been signed with DEI for 2008 and will be driving the #8 car.

Ambrose has been talked about this past season. I watched all 36 races of the Nextel Cup. They are waiting for him to see what he can do. At the same time Hornish Jr, Villeneuve, and Carpentier are being looked at as well to see how they do in their first full season.

Thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait for February.

Agreed. Ambrose has also been on NASCAR radio (Sirius Satellite radio) a few times lately. Seems like a good dude. He's had quite a bit of bad luck!