NASCAR

While it is true that both the old wing and the current spoiler generate roughly the same upforce when turned around, the spoiler creates more drag. It also removed another team adjusted part from the aero package, which made it the next logical step in the ongoing France/Helton crusade to made the cars identical. Speaking of which, the front splitter is being changed to a non-adjustable version next year.

Don't get me started on the switch backwards from the wing to the spoiler.

As soon as it became apparent the wing caused cars to become airborne when turned around, instead of trying to move the wing around to fix it, they instantly went back to the spoiler. Yes, I know, fans wanted it, but they wanted it based on the old Cup cars had it. If the wing would have been moved up off the rear, I believe it would have fixed the problem. That design was doomed to failure before the car ever set a lap. In fact, I said as much when they unveiled the damn thing. If I, in all my un-trained, inexperienced wisdom, can tell that a design is very flawed, they should be able to as well. Unless of course, Brian France did all the design and testing, then it's completely understandable how that was missed.

Damn, did anyway. :p

Double post, and for good reason. Sprint has made available the 1979 Daytona 500 here.

thanks for that link enjoyed that alot. best time period for NASCAR. if an ending like that were to happen today both of the drivers would be suspended for life

Last edited:
Boring. Fucking boring and lame.

EDIT: RE: Jimmie Johnson AGAIN.

Like him or not, Harvick has dominated this year. If he loses the cup during the Chase, having still performed at his average pre-Chase level... which would be 1.32 wins, 4.84 top 5, and 7.04 top 10's during the Chase... that will be the biggest travesty of the season.
He had 5 top 5's, and 10 top 10's... but not a single win. If he'd won Talladega (which was a fucking travesty in its own right), there's no reason why he shouldn't have statistically won the Chase.

Even +1 win would have only gotten him 15 more points, though... and that would have still put him 25 points behind Johnson at the end.

Last edited:
I have been watching some old school (okay, '90s era) NASCAR this week; right now I'm watching the 1992 Hooters 500. This is probably the most epic NASCAR race ever for several reasons:

--- the final race, and SIX drivers were mathematically eligible
--- the end of an era, and the start of a new one
--- no rubbish ten race playoff
--- no fucking animated gopher
--- two words: DICK. TRICKLE.
--- this marked the end of one era and was the quiet beginning of another, if you listen to this video

Absolute Truth

I remember seeing this race when it was live. Probably the best/most important race of the modern era of NASCAR.

In hindsight, the best part of it may be the complete lack of animated gophers... :p

Tony Stewart may be in a bit of trouble with the Australian rozzers.

From Jayski:

#14-Tony Stewart has allegedly been involved in a off-track incident at Sydney Speedway which has seen him interviewed by Parramatta police this morning. Stewart was allegedly involved in a physical altercation with speedway co-owner and former driver Brett Morris after early-evening time trials. It is believed that Stewart, who is racing for a team owned by Morris' business partner and Australian speedway legend Garry Rush, had issues about track conditions after a Hot Lap session and made them known to Morris. A helmet and punches were rumored to be thrown and exchanged during the alleged altercation. Stewart has been competing for the second consecutive year in Australia during his NASCAR "off season". Staff at Parramatta Police Station confirmed to Speedcafe.com.au this morning at 12.49am (AEDST) that Stewart was being held for questioning, but indicated that nothing could be confirmed about the incident until later today  including whether Stewart had been officially charged or whether similar charges were being pursued by Stewart against Morris. The final outcome of this situation could result in a raft of ramifications including Stewart's scheduled departure from the country later today, legal requirements back in Australia if it is found he has questions to answer and the overall effect this will have on Australia-US speedway relationships.

Original article can be read here.

Here's the followup:
US NASCAR star Tony Stewart has walked free after being arrested by local police at the Sydney Raceway last night, but his troubles might not be over just yet.

It is understood that Stewart was free to fly back to the US today with fellow US star Donny Schatz, but that further investigations of an alleged assault between Stewart and Sydney Raceway co-owner Brett Morris are on-going.

It is believed that Morris, while talked to at the scene of the alleged incident last night, is yet to be formally interviewed. If Morris is interviewed and it is found that Stewart has a case to answer, there is a chance that the two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion may be required to return to Australia for court proceedings.

what do you think of the rumoured new points system? I reckon that if they were going to change anything that's points-related, it'd be to score the Chase drivers seperately....but that could just be me, lol

After discussing it with a friend, we like the idea, but we'd do it differently.

I'd start with 30 points going down to 1 point for 30th with the final 13 positions getting no points.

My friend has two ideas, the first is start with 43 points and go with 2 point intervals, so only half the field gets points. The second idea is the top 35 positions pay points, but only those that finish 75% of the race get them.

similar to what I do. I have a spreadsheet and use an old V8 Supercar points system (they only score down to 17th: 72, 60, 51, 45, 39, 36, 33, 30, 27, 24, 18, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3, 1) for the first 26 races to find the Chasers. Once the Chase starts, those 12 guys use the old CART points (20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) to sort it out while the rest of the field sticks with the V8 one.

only difference with mine last year was that McMurray made it in while Kenseth had to settle for the race to 13th, lol

I think they should just get rid of the chase and stick with the old points system. Get it back to pre-2004. The chase makes it to easy to win. Jimmy Johnson's championships mean nothing to me, in my opinion just getting one championship under the old points system means more than getting 5 under the chase.

Problem is, Johnson might have still won those 5 under the old points system. Him and his team knew what they had to do to win the championship, so they did it. If they were to change the system, Johnson and Co. would change what they did to fit the system.

I'd say Johnson is right up there with Earnhardt and Petty in the greatest of all time conversation.

Problem is, Johnson might have still won those 5 under the old points system. Him and his team knew what they had to do to win the championship, so they did it. If they were to change the system, Johnson and Co. would change what they did to fit the system.

They would have had to do a better job during the season under the old points system. Jayski and other boffins calculated who the champs would have been under pre-Chase rules:

2004: Old Points Champ would have been Jeff Gordon. Kurt Busch won the Chase that year.
2005: Tony Stewart would have been champion under both categories
2006: Jimmie Johnson would have been champion under both categories
2007: Old Points Champ would have been Jeff Gordon (Johnson won the Chase)
2008: Old Points Champ would have been Carl Edwards (Johnson again)
2009: Johnson would have been champ under both categories
2010: Old Points Champ would have been Kevin Harvick (Johnson, again)

It will be interesting seeing how this new points system shakes out; one would assume that the penalties will change since drivers are no longer earning as many points.

In other news, it's hard to believe it's been almost ten years.

To recognize the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s death in the 2001 Daytona 500, SPEED announced it would broadcast a one-hour special titled "The Day: Remembering Dale Earnhardt" on Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m. EST. The program will reflect on the tragic events of that Sunday from sunrise to sunset and focus on how that moment forever changed NASCAR. The Day: Remembering Dale Earnhardt, will mark the first time Michael Waltrip, who won the 2001 Daytona 500, will give a television interview to discuss the death of his former car owner, friend and mentor.

http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/media/news/584254.html