NASCAR

According to Jayski and numerous other sites, the 2012 Daytona 500 will be pushed back a week to February 26. I assume the decision stems from the possibility of the NFL expanding its schedule (provided the NFL isn't affected by a lockout) and the fact that there's an off weekend this year after only three races.

its exactly why, FOX was saying that all week.

the new splitter makes an excellent lawnmower.

HA! +1

As I said earlier, restrictors are only used at Daytona and Talladega. It's to keep speeds around the 200 mph mark. In 1987, Bill Elliott set a Nascar record qualifying lap at an average speed of 212.809 mph. Earlier in the day officials had a radar gun on other drivers going down the back straight on their qualifying runs, and one driver hit over 240 mph. You can imagine how bad an accident could get racing that close at 220+.

I recall Rusty Wallace doing 225+mph laps around Talladega when they tested how fast a modern car would go without a restrictor plate. This was in 2003ish so it was pre-COT. And those were single car runs around Talladega without any real setup work to optimise the car for the higher speeds, probably not that much practice to find the limits of the car either and, crucially, no drafting.

To put that into perspective, the monstrous 1500+bhp Porsche 917/30 around the same track achieved an average of 221mph. Of course, the 917 wasn't really adapted for ovals, but still... makes the stock cars even more scary somehow when you think about it.

Last edited:
I recall Rusty Wallace doing 225+mph laps around Talladega when they tested how fast a modern car would go without a restrictor plate. This was in 2003ish so it was pre-COT. And those were single car runs around Talladega without any real setup work to optimise the car for the higher speeds, probably not that much practice to find the limits of the car either and, crucially, no drafting.

228, and it was 2004. Said how he had to brake into the corners.

To put that into perspective, the monstrous 1500+bhp Porsche 917/30 around the same track achieved an average of 221mph. Of course, the 917 wasn't really adapted for ovals, but still... makes the stock cars even more scary somehow when you think about it.

isn't the gearing on the nascars rediculoursly tall? if they have to start from a stand still, the porsche probably will have lapped the nascar by the time it has reached its top speed

isn't the gearing on the nascars rediculoursly tall? if they have to start from a stand still, the porsche probably will have lapped the nascar by the time it has reached its top speed

Both the 917/30 and the stock cars have/had 4-speed gearboxes, I think. Also, there's a reason why lap records are set from rolling starts.

Last edited:
Remember back in 2003 when Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya (then in F1) drove each other's cars at Indy's road course?

Get ready for the sequel:

AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Barring an unforeseen scheduling hiccup, two-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart and 2008 Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton will swap race cars in an exhibition later this year, Stewart-Haas Racing spokesman Mike Arning confirmed Saturday.

The seat swap comes at the hands of Mobil 1, a mutual sponsor for the two drivers, and is expected to take place at Watkins Glen International sometime during the summer.

The cars involved will not be show cars. They will be legitimate race-prepared machines.

Hamilton will man Stewart's road course ready No. 14 Chevrolet Impala, and Stewart will drive Hamilton's 2010-model F1 McLaren. The respective drivers' race teams will travel with them to the event to tune the cars.

Stewart was not available for comment Saturday.

This isn't the first time NASCAR and F1 have hosted an event like this. In 2003, Jeff Gordon traded rides with Juan Pablo Montoya at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, after which both expressed greater appreciation for the other's respective discipline. Gordon made two runs in Montoya's BMW/Williams F1 machine.

"To get the opportunity here today to do this fulfills really every desire and dream that I had," Gordon said at the time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=6162176

(feel free to cross-post this to the F1 thread)

The rubbish ones. Like Nelson Piquet (currently in the Trucks division).

Meanwhile...
The 2011 season so far looks like a demolition derby. Two big wrecks already involving 23 cars, Trevor Bayne crashed, Carl Edwards ruined Subway's big day, Jeff Burton killed the Gopher, and Jeff Gordon is currently in the running for the Lucky Bastard of the Race Award. It's not even halfway through the race so the shit could become even crazier.

Last edited:
Nearly half the field has been involved in a crash so far. It's been awesome!

Note: I am not one of the "watches for the crashes" NASCAR fans. If anything, IZOD and F1 have more spectacular crashes.

Last edited:
<<< :whistle:

(fear not, Alistair Cookie shall eventually return.)

Shepherd catches shoplifter: Most NASCAR drivers don't come to mind when you think of Las Vegas crimefighters, but then again, most NASCAR drivers aren't 69-year-old Morgan Shepherd. The veteran of 44 NASCAR seasons was getting out of his rental car in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart store Monday evening just minutes away from Las Vegas Motor Speedway just as three men burst from the store's entrance with security forces trailing behind. Thats when Shepherd, a daily jogger and fitness perfectionist, sprang into action. "I just got out and took off after them," Shepherd said. "I caught one of them just as they were getting ready to hop a little wall at the end of the parking lot. I yanked him down and got on top of him." Shepherd said in a matter of seconds a Las Vegas police officer pitched the ageless NASCAR driver a pair and handcuffs and continued pursuit of the other two suspects, along with the store's security force. "I cuffed him and sat on top of him," Shepherd said. "The police department officers showed up and asked if I could hold him a while longer while they ran down the others. I told them he wasn't going anywhere." Shepherd said while the young shoplifter pleaded with him to let him go and about the possibility of going to jail, Shepherd used the time to lecture the youth about his poor choices.
http://jayski.com/nationwide/nationwide.htm#030111-89

Can't wait for Watkins Glen With JP Montoya and Hamilton. Also that story with Morgan Shepard is pretty cool