NASCAR

"Yep, I was a douchebag." At least he's honest... as opposed to Montoya, who got totally roflowned by Kasey Kahne in the post-race interviews.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSxcrjInGU[/youtube]

Kurt Busch deserved that, even if I'd have rather seen a non-oval-tracker like Ambrose win. He drove a flawless race.

EDIT: Fuck. I had Stewart on my fantasy team this week. :|

Last edited:
I doubt we'll ever see local yellow rules. NASCAR uses yellows and restarts as a way to artificially generate more excitement in a race (see: "debris" cautions), so local yellow rules wouldn't really help them in that regard.

That's where I feel NASCAR is wrong. There losing their legitimacy throwing stupid cautions. Once you start artificially manipulating the outcome of races instead of letting the drivers race, that's when you start becoming more like Pro Wrestling as opposed to a legitimate sporting organization. NASCAR does this all the time. Example #1 is the Coke 600. Jr takes the lead at the start of the GWC and there is a massive pileup behind him but NASCAR does not throw the yellow because they want Jr to win so they get more publicity and higher ratings which = more money for NASCAR.

Same thing goes for the phantom debris cautions near the end of races so there can be a GWC or 10 lap shootout or something like that. I can't even count how many drivers have been cheated out of a victory because of a fake late race caution or GWC. Then Look at the Michigan race too. Jr scrapes the wall coming out of 2 and there is a caution for such a small amount of contact. Then with I think it was 5 to go, Regan Smith slams the wall even harder at the same spot and no caution is thrown. Why? why does JR. get the benefit of a yellow and not Regan Smith? Carl Edwards should have won this race but the cation for Jr. made his 2 second lead at the time disappear with 10 to go.

NASCAR is too erratic with their cautions and rules and IMO it is ruining the type of racing I love. I find myself becoming more of an ALMS, Grand-Am, and F1 fan more and more every day.

Last edited:
I watched the sonoma race live here, which had the same ad breaks as the US broadcast. How on earth can any of you watch this? The Ad's are just... wow. I would hate to put a stopwatch on the ad's vs Racing, as i bet ad's get more airtime.
F1 on ITV used to be almost as bad. However, I've been watching TNT on the web, which doesn't have commercials and is just as good if not better.

Fake cautions are seriously one of the cancers killing NASCAR. Between that and the "playoffs", it does get hard to take it seriously sometimes. I'll still watch it and still enjoy it, but it's getting to borderline race fixing just to "keep the fans happy".

I got stuck behind some guy driving slow as hell in a Ford Fusion with a big number 24 Jeff Gordon sticker on his back window.

:wall:

Another day, another race with Ambrose and McMurray sitting around 20th... :sad: At least McMurray (barely) cleared the mess that Mark Martin made. And Kasey Kahne gets the top 5, so good for him.

Does anyone think NASCAR will ever get rid of The Chase?

Save of the year?

Congrats to Ragan, who would be one of the wild cards if the Chase started next week. There's still quite a few races until Richmond, but you have to wonder if guys like Stewart are starting to feel a little pressure concerning wins.

Does anyone think NASCAR will ever get rid of The Chase?

You have to remember why the Chase started in the first place. Drivers would get an insurmountable points lead, so people just wouldn't watch the last half of the season.

You have to remember why the Chase started in the first place. Drivers would get an insurmountable points lead, so people just wouldn't watch the last half of the season.
Well then fix the points system, don't reinvent the entire sport.

Yes, the points system in the early 2000's was flawed. Yes, it takes some of the fun out of a race if the season champion has already been decided. Yes, sometimes people will win the season by being consistent and not just winning races. But sometimes winning and losing the season isn't decided in the last corner of the last race; that just isn't how it is in reality.

It just smacks of the "contrived races" problem that NASCAR has now. It's slowly becoming less of a race and more of a show, and that's sad.

Save of the year?
I don't think so, the way I see it, that was mostly luck.
His front wheels were off the ground and the car was sliding on the splitter once it got down below the banking.
That's what caused it to point in the right direction again.
The car was sideways too far for steering input to have anything to do with that.
(FYI, I'm not a Gordon hater or anything like that.)

Safe prediction since Ambrose isn't looking to repeat last year's blunder. :p

alas, he didn't have the car...got to meet him twice that weekend at the track though, he must have recognised a fellow Aussie's accent :lol:

I hear that the 2011 version may be the last Montreal Nationwide race....that will suck if that's the case :(

Last edited:
what a pathetically dull race...won't be any better next week since it's Loudon, but I guess the traffic woes won't be as bad for those wanting to see the race live. I think I'll bail and go see a movie instead, won't fall asleep that way :lol:

I'm going to blame my receding hairline on my being a McMurray fan.