NASCAR

Juan Pablo Montoya has probably made every news broadcast in the US and pretty much around the world with that. Glad to see both he and the jet dryer driver were unharmed.

This has been the most fucking bizarre Daytona race ever. Second-lap crashes, shitty engines galore, and now the JPM wreck. Dave Blaney being the possible winner would be the least bizarre thing after all that carnage.

:jc: Its going to take more than that little box to explain this one to the insurance company...

Was honestly expecting them to call the race. We're green again. The first Daytona 500 to take two days to complete.

Where the hell do you watch this? It's supposed to be on FOX, but it just isn't...

doesn't matter, Matt Kenseth, Earnhard Jr, Greg Biffle on a GWC finish. And Danica patrick lost to a man who blew up a jet engine.

God damn it, here they are showing something called Nightside.

Well, that was an interesting race. My inner Cheesehead is happy with Kenseth winning. Also, it looks like we can eliminate some guys from the Chase now (Gordon, Johnson, Kurt Busch). They're too far behind to catch up with Kenseth, Junior and Hamlin. Especially for Johnson if NASCAR imposes a points deduction for the C-posts.

Last edited:
Everyone was fine, driver of the truck got out before it really went up in flames.

I hope people see that outside of the wrecks, the racing was boring. It ended up being follow the leader most of the night, with only a few being able to pass.

Well I said it would probably be a Ford or a Hendrick car and I didn't watch the race :lol:

I hope people see that outside of the wrecks, the racing was boring. It ended up being follow the leader most of the night, with only a few being able to pass.

Agreed. It reminded me of the 2007 race which was equally boring until the finish.

As boring as the racing itself was, that event could have the sort of impact the 1979 race did. Look how bizarre that race was, the track was on fire and it was happening as prime-time was ending and people had a choice of local news or the end of the race. And the coverage it's getting today, it's plastered everywhere. So, while the actual racing didn't do anything to bring in new fans, the bizarre-ness of the event may just do exactly that.

EDIT: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/nascar-won-t-penalize-keselowski-phone-191631932.html;_ylt=AoU2Ul1.n4NPDttcE4mNoSjov7YF

Nascar encouraging drivers to use social media as long as it's done safely with respects to them and other drivers. Wonder if the other major sports will turn a 180 on their social media bans because of it.

Last edited:

That's part and parcel to the lap 2 wreck. People decided to play it safe for the better part of the race after that. Otherwise, Biffle and Roush can eat it :p

That's part and parcel to the lap 2 wreck. People decided to play it safe for the better part of the race after that. Otherwise, Biffle and Roush can eat it :p

No, even at the end there was no real passing. Pack racing on that surface will not work. The outside line can't do anything if a two-car tandem can't get to the front within a lap of hooking up. And even then they have to move to the bottom or be overtaken again.

Let's just look at the stats for this year's race compared to 2011 and 2010.

2010 - 21 leaders, 52 lead changes, 9 cautions, 40 laps

2011 - 22 leaders, 74 lead changes, 16 cautions, 60 laps

2012 - 13 leaders, 27 lead changes, 10 cautions, 42 laps

2010 and 2012 had similar caution periods. 2010 and 2011 had similar leaders. 2012 had by-far the most lead changes.

Now, this opinion is entirely my own and has no other facts to back it up, but work with me here. The old surface of the track was very bumpy on the inside and slightly less so on the outside, which worked in favor of pack racing and allowed any line to come an go as the race progressed. With the new surface, there are no bumps (or at the very least, very minor ones), so the cars are planted to the track better. Being a flat-out track, the only "fast" way around is at the bottom. But as we saw last year, two-car tandems are as close to the old pre-restrictor-plate days of slingshot drafting we're ever going to see. And before last year, that's what people were screaming for.

2010 results 2011 results 2012 results