NASCAR

I'll be tuning in for the inevitable lulz that will take place when teams that have one driver in the Chase and the other outside it, when it comes to an elimination round, after team orders and tactics and coded messages to crash will be applied. :lol:

Nascar's hastening their fall into irrelevancy. Qualifying changes were good, constantly changing the championship system is bad.

At least they did something sort of right with the USCC.

I don't really follow NASCAR, but occasionally I see some news on my homepage. Last month Richard Petty made some comments about Danica Patrick's inability drive and the only reason for her to be in NASCAR was that she was a woman. I thought he was a bit of a dick, and I didn't buy any of it.

But then I saw this:

How does this happen?

I don't really follow NASCAR, but occasionally I see some news on my homepage. Last month Richard Petty made some comments about Danica Patrick's inability drive and the only reason for her to be in NASCAR was that she was a woman. I thought he was a bit of a dick, and I didn't buy any of it.

But then I saw this:

How does this happen?
The problem with Ms. Patrick seems to be that while she is not a *bad* driver by any stretch (she is better than many, many male race drivers) she is not good enough (or consistent enough) to be in the top tier of NASCAR. Part of it may be the physicality of the machines - while I will mock the NASCRASH machines for many reasons, it is undeniable that even the so-called 'Car Of Tomorrow' is physically and mentally harder to hustle around a track than F1 or IRL cars. She did reasonably well in IRL, but she's been wildly inconsistent and trending down in closed-wheel American racing.

Please note that I am not saying that women cannot compete well at the top tiers of American closed-wheel racing, just that this particular one does not seem to be able to. As others have observed, she does usually qualify well only to have issues during the race itself. Whether that comes from not being able to get used to the 'rubbin'-is-racin'' near-combat racing style, a lack of the required level of 'racer's killer instinct' that some suspect or something else entirely I don't know.

That said - Ashley Force and her sister Courtney Force are much better representatives for women in US racing, IMHO. Patrick has been given more than a few handwaves and had things overlooked in her career a number of times because of what she is - a big money draw; the Forces compete and competed fairly and won anyway.

Edit: Damn, somehow I also forgot Angelle Sampey as another good example.

Edit 2: Also forgot to mention: There have been a number of male drivers who didn't belong in NASCAR's top tiers either, who actually have better winning records at this level than Patrick. They were usually summarily (and correctly) booted out after one, maybe two seasons. Discrimination, anyone?

Last edited:
How does this happen?

Lack of traction? The track had been thoroughly washed multiple times by massive rain storms so there would be no "rubber" laid down. There is also the transition between asphalt and concrete, both of which have different coefficients of friction.

Has anyone here have been watching this season? Damn good racing, I really like this new wins count everything formula, because last laps are so intense! Damn I am starting to prefer Nascar to F1, which is something I wouldnt have thougt happening EVER.

Oh, Kurt finally got a win and ended his 83 race winless streak in Meville!!!

BK :lmao:

I'm going to enjoy watching Keselowski make a fool of himself. That accident was his fault, Busch didn't do anything that hasn't been done a billion times before. I really don't know what he was expecting to come from that. He runs into the back of Kahne, Busch sees an opportunity to gain a place and takes it. Keselowski would have done the exact same. BK's an idiot, I can't wait for him to run into the wrong person one too many times.

I'm going to enjoy watching Keselowski make a fool of himself. That accident was his fault, Busch didn't do anything that hasn't been done a billion times before. I really don't know what he was expecting to come from that. He runs into the back of Kahne, Busch sees an opportunity to gain a place and takes it. Keselowski would have done the exact same. BK's an idiot, I can't wait for him to run into the wrong person one too many times.

I actually think that BK is ok, but his whining in Martinsville was completely foolish(he kept the whining going on twitter too). I can only imagine how he felt when Kurt won. :lol:

Now that both of them are in the chace, there is a chance for some drama in Texas. Kurt seem to be calmer nowadays, but you never know...

I actually think that BK is ok, but his whining in Martinsville was completely foolish(he kept the whining going on twitter too).

That's the problem I have with him, though. Every time something happens, he whines and whines about it. Then goes to Twitter and whines some more. Even when it's his fault. He's immature and ever since he won the championship, it's gotten worse.

Seven different winners in seven first races. Not bad. Logano is my least favourite driver, but he deserved the Texas win. BK :lol:

At this rate there's going to be trouble working out who actually ends up in the Chase, if more people keep winning. :lol:

And Jimmie Johnson still winless this season...

At this rate there's going to be trouble working out who actually ends up in the Chase, if more people keep winning. :lol:

And Jimmie Johnson still winless this season...

Well, if you look back to the first year of the Chase, it came down to the last lap to determine who got in. The first year of new rules are always chaotic, I mean, there is Red Bull in F1, the craziness of P2/DPs in Tudor and this potentiality.

And Johnson won't stay out of victory lane, Hendrick will be strong at Darlington and then you've got Kansas, Charlotte, Dover, Pocono and Michigan coming up. That's a lot of tracks Johnson's been strong on in the past.

JJ48?s win is inevitable. He has had really bad luck like in Texas, when Jr had his failure just infront of JJ. SHR seems to be weird team, they sometimes have HUGE pace, but then they suddenly fall of the cliff.

Well that was an crappy last lap for Talladega and meh winner... Kurt seems to run on problems here on every year...

#11 Denny Hamlin and Joe Gibbs racing penalized

#11 Denny Hamlin and Joe Gibbs racing penalized

NASCAR has penalized team #11 Denny Hamlin and Joe Gibbs racing for infractions found in a post-race inspection.
Denny and team will loose 75 points and crew chief Darian Grubb gets $125 000 fine and six-race ban,Car chief Wesley Sherrill is also banned for six race.
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/7/29/nascar-sprint-cup-series-joe-gibbs-racing-denny-hamlin-penalty-post-indianapolis.html